Do most people on Celebrity Asian cruises wear formal dress

hapicruisin

I am thinking of going on a Celebrity Millennium Asian cruise, hopefully, early next year. My husband and I enjoy dressing in formal wear but we wondered how many usually do on Asian trips, bearing in mind that it is usually hot and humid even at that time of year.

I do realise that on board the ship the air conditioning will be working, but is it as effective in more extreme temperatures?

Those who have already been on an Asian cruise please give me your thoughts.

I think it will depend on the mix of nationalities onboard, if you get a boatload of Aussies and Kiwi's there won't be a tux in sight, however, you should dress as you normally would on a formal night, if you enjoy dressing up, then go for it! I wouldn't worry about what others might do, enjoy yourselves! i think the Asian cruises will have a great mix of nationalities onboard and that will make for a fun cruise.

We are doing an Asian cruise before Christmas and won't be dressing formally, the cruise is only part of a longer trip. Our luggage is restricted by airline rules to 20 kg each and that means few clothes and much shopping. We come from a very relaxed culture and don't even own formal clothes (we would never wear them), if we can't eat in the MDR on fomal nights its not a problem for us as we will be happy sitting on our balcony to have dinner.

Go ahead and pack your lovely fomal clothes and enjoy your holiday your way...you paid for it!

Asia is a new market for Celebrity starting in late 2012--at least in recent years--and, as such, it is unlikely that you'll get current experiential response--rather than speculation--to your inquiry...

I've never seen Celebrity relax their dress codes based upon hot/humid climates such as the Caribbean or the Mediterranean... There are all sorts of threads on this board that debate the interpretation of formal dress and discuss alternative dining venues/possibilities where dress is smart casual--rather than formal--even on Formal Nights... You may want to use the Search feature on this board to read the range of possibilities--and both topics are addressed here weekly [if not daily]--to determine what best suits you...

If you enjoy dressing formally, I personally doubt that you will be uncomfortable in doing so in terms of fitting in socially or in terms of your own physical comfort...

I will be taking my formal dresses for our Asian cruise because we like to dress up. However, it is later than yours.

How about looking on the Princess board? They have sailed in Asia already and I'm sure this question has come up. I don't know if that would give you the answer you're looking for but it could be a start.

I would also post the question on your roll call.

Try posting on the Royal Caribbean board too. When we sailed from Shanghai to Singapore on Legend , we noticed no real difference in formal wear from Med or Caribbean cruises. The A/C was efficient and it was only when we ventured on deck that the heat/himidity hit us:eek:

Although I haven't taken an Asian cruise (yet!), have worked and traveled in the Far East, and having been to a few 'formal' social events, the Asians and their guests did dress formal. I wore a military dress uniform and many wore at least suits. In a few countries, there are more 'relaxed' formal dress such as in the Philippines, there is the 'formal' shirt which is open-necked and short-sleeve, but at an Embassy event in Manilla, many wore suits.

So take that as a general input that even is 'hot/humid' places, many still dress formally. Heck, I've worn a Tux here in Florida more than I did Up North!

Den

Thank you to all who replied. Your combined posts have convinced me to take our formal wear (as we always have done in the past on Celebrity).

My query was only because ordinarily it would not be a problem, but if we book this cruise, we would have to go straight onto somewhere else without going home and we didn't want to take our formal wear half way around the world unnecessarily.

Thank you to all who replied. Your combined posts have convinced me to take our formal wear (as we always have done in the past on Celebrity).

My query was only because ordinarily it would not be a problem, but if we book this cruise, we would have to go straight onto somewhere else without going home and we didn't want to take our formal wear half way around the world unnecessarily.

Fully understand that you weren't looking for the 'I saw one guy without a jacket so don't worry about it' type response. In your case, you might think about taking a suit instead of a tux (if that was what you were planning on), and then you can use the trousers for regular wear and the jacket as a sports look some time so its not just for formal nights. And for the women, there are a lot of mix/match - even pants - my wife goes with that a lot, what I call the Glitzy Chico's.

Sounds like a great time to be had!

Den

Well there are three other options to consider as well:

1. Dine in a speciality restaurant on formal nights (smart casual okay).

2. Dine in your cabin from that evenings MDR menu (steward or you can obtain the menu from the MDR earlier in the day).

3. Dine in the buffet on those evenings.

Having been in exactly the same situation as you, but in reverse (cruise last) we used a combination of 1 & 3 to save taking suits etc.

Not sure what you consider formal wear....but you might consider renting a tux, if it's important to the gentleman....and likely the lady can find something lightweight and beautiful to pack which won't take up much space.

Archived