Ever Cruise out of Norfolk Va?

dustanltye

And that's the other issue.

I don't sail in the middle of summer - by choice - to avoid the hordes of children.

I normally either sail just after 4/15 but before schools out, or between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't want my sea days to be so cold I have to sit inside. I mean, I don't spend 12 hours out at the pool, but I do like to sit and read in the sun (or shade).

But then, I've sailed from Jacksonville and even FLL in December when it was too cold to be out on deck that first afternoon.

Again, though, if you're sailing for the ship experience and aren't a sun worshiper, and don't mind that you're just going to the Bahamas, then Norfolk at any time of year is great!

We're doing Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau from Charleston. I would think they could do Nassau, Key West or Freeport, and HMC from Norfolk. I'd do that cruise! I'd sail from anywhere to get to HMC (will by my 6th stop in October).

There are different parking lots, that is just the one Carnival recommends you use. There is one across the street that is walkablw.

All of the ones from Norfolk start at a little more than $400pp :confused: Super cheap for people who can drive to the port vs flying somewhere.

I just cant believe this. Baltimore is the most expensive port we have ever looked at. It is $449pp for our Norfolk cruise vs $700+pp for Baltimore. Baltimore always costs WAYYYY more than us flying to Florida and doing the cruise. Do you find these deals in the Winter? If so isnt it freezing for half the cruise?

We typically sail in May from Baltimore and have been able to book extended size balconies in the $700-$800pp range. When I've checked Norfolk, it was more like $829 and up for a balcony on a shorter sailing. So far we haven't done the dead of winter but are considering it for 2014. Flights for us to Florida aren't cheap so that factors in - our local airport is currently running $500pp to get to Florida next January.

if the state and the city hadn't got greedy there would be many more ships and cruises out of Norfolk. Maybe if some in Charleston, SC get there way more cruises will come out of Norfolk. This would be a great mid coast departure point for many places. Would be easier in and out than Baltimore and closer than New Jersey and New York.

Your post has aroused my curiosity not being a Virginian nor a citizen of the Tidewater area. What has the state and the city done that has discouraged the cruise lines from offering more cruises from a terminal that is quite modern and state of the art?

I love the Tidewater area and have vactioned there many times. Like other posters, I would most certainly consider Norfolk as an embarkation port if more diverse and longer itineraries were offered.

DD and her fiance are in Greenville, too. Both ECU grads.

But when I told her 6 nights on Glory to Freeport & Nassau vs 7 nights on Fantasy to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau, she didn't hesitate to pick Fantasy.

Great choice, one of my favorite cruises to date!

Go Pirates! ECU grad and current MBA student. :)

Your post has aroused my curiosity not being a Virginian nor a citizen of the Tidewater area. What has the state and the city done that has discouraged the cruise lines from offering more cruises from a terminal that is quite modern and state of the art?

I love the Tidewater area and have vactioned there many times. Like other posters, I would most certainly consider Norfolk as an embarkation port if more diverse and longer itineraries were offered.

Once they got the new terminal built and Carnival was scheduling cruises out of there and I think Royal Caribean they raised docking and other fees to some of the highest on the East coast. Royal Caribean left after one year and Carnival cut back on the numebr of cruises out of there. At one time it was rumored that carnival was going to leave too. They ruined the cruise selections for all in this area. I live 2 hours from there and would love to cruise out of there but nothing interests me. Not a big selection.

We sailed out of Norfolk this past May and it was fine. A little chaotic with the passengers debarking but then again what cruise port isn't!!:p We will be sailing again out of Norfolk next May. Pretty cool sail-away too IMO:D

Hey! I'm cruising from there too next May! ;)

Glad to see this thread. Will be sailing out of Norfolk in May & have never been before.

We are driving there from MI, so will need a place to stay (that includes parking) before & after our cruise.

Don't worry, we'll get you straight on the roll call for hotels and things like that! :)

Once they got the new terminal built and Carnival was scheduling cruises out of there and I think Royal Caribean they raised docking and other fees to some of the highest on the East coast. Royal Caribean left after one year and Carnival cut back on the numebr of cruises out of there. At one time it was rumored that carnival was going to leave too. They ruined the cruise selections for all in this area. I live 2 hours from there and would love to cruise out of there but nothing interests me. Not a big selection.

There was also a dispute a while back between the port pilots and Carnival where the pilots alleged that Carnival hadn't fully paid them. Not sure who was in the right on that one, but I do know there was some bad blood between them and Carnival for a while.

Looks like HAL has been gone about 5 years. Time sure fly's. I remember RCL coming in, i just wish there were more cruise lines using the Norfolk Port. DH and i are very close, actually we live on an island south of Norfolk.

Wouldn't you think that the cities and port authorities wouldn't be so short-sighted? I mean, you have the facilities to handle mass-market cruise ships.

The cruiselines can charge more because they have virtually no competition. People are willing to pay slightly more for the cruise fare itself when they don't have to pay to fly! I mean, my 7-night on Fantasy is the same PER NIGHT as the 4-night on Ecstasy. Of course the total for the cabin is more, but since I don't have to pay airfare, then out the same amount of money and getting more cruise!

I don't have to worry about the airline changing my flight times. I can take a nice, relaxing drive to the port city.

People come to the city early, they stay locally, they eat in the local restaurants, they shop, they spend their money locally.

Why would you not want to attract all the cruise ships you possibly can? Instead, they almost seem to intentionally try to alienate the cruiselines and want to gouge the passengers with absurb parking and port fees.

I just don't get it. :confused:

[quote name='vacruizer']I just spit water all over my screen. LOL

Been a long time since I've been to Pungo. :p[/quote]

Glad I could bring some levity to the boards... what's life without humor, right?! LOL sassy~one, I'm not too far from you... we're in the hip metropolis of Edenton. :rolleyes: :)

Archived