Cheap Nassau excursion help!

guitargal168

Hi! I'm planning a trip with my Girl Scouts for May of 2013 and we are looking for a REALLY inexpensive excursion/option for our day in Nassau. The girls are 14 and 15, very well behaved and are crazy excited for this trip! Any ideas? I've checked Carnival's website but their current excursions are just too pricey for us.

There is a really nice walking tour of Nassau on Frommer's - that's what we did, saw the government houses, Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle. We then walked down the esplanade to Junkanoo Beach (just a little ways past the port and straw market) - free beach.

FREE there is a walking tour of Nassau .. where you just go see certain points. Maybe google it for directions. You might look up more information on each place to add to the tour.

I went into the church this last time just to see it .. there are several places of interest in the town, all within walking distance.

.. then let them go to the straw market to shop.. at the far right end of town? I have gotten some nice things near there, not within .. I hate going into the market where people all want me to buy, I buy the better stuff on the fringes. I got a knock off gucci nice black leather purse.. exactly the size for my tablet. its obviously a knock off, they have one "C" slashed to show they are not trying to be a real copy before anyone wants to kill me.. I paid $35 for it.

I have a frog bank carved of wood I really really like.. I like to pick up wooden hand carved nice things. Maybe about $15 but could have been more, dont remember.

Try the Nassau walking tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=504501

Hi! Just got back from our cruise yesterday...Nassau was one of our stops, and my husband and I did the self-guided walking tour. The tour probably takes a leisurely 2 hours (to do the whole thing, which was 17 "stops"). We did it first thing...keep in mind it gets hot. We are 41 and 35 years old and are in pretty good shape. To get to the staircase and the Fort Fincastle, you have to go up a hill. Plus the staircase has 65 steps. (Once up the steps, you then walk up further to get to the castle), and then the castle has stairs as well.

Google the free nassau walking tour............there is a website out there that shows some pictures of what you can expect.........stay together......no stragglers............also, like others have posted......go past the hilton to the free beach........there is a McDonald's close by the hilton for fimiliar comfort food.......have a great trip!!!:)

Hi! I'm planning a trip with my Girl Scouts for May of 2013 and we are looking for a REALLY inexpensive excursion/option for our day in Nassau. The girls are 14 and 15, very well behaved and are crazy excited for this trip! Any ideas? I've checked Carnival's website but their current excursions are just too pricey for us.

2 comments.. One, you might want to tie a rope around them all and then tie it to yourself! Kidding but I would keep a very close eye on them as it is another country and it's not DisneyWorld. Second, the walking tour would be the thing to do with possibly a stop at the "straw market".... if going in the straw market make sure everyone knows the entrance you went in and a time to meet at that entrance. I would say drop bread crumbs but the birds will eat them. Have a great time and BLESS you....

There is a really nice walking tour of Nassau on Frommer's - that's what we did, saw the government houses, Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle. We then walked down the esplanade to Junkanoo Beach (just a little ways past the port and straw market) - free beach.

We did this and had so much fun! Felt safe, and many locals were extremely helpful when we asked for directions. Saw fort fincastle, queens staircase, gretystone, stopped at the pirate museum (a must!), and hit up the fish fry. Cheap, good exercise and a cool way to see Nassau!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....I got a knock off gucci nice black leather purse.. exactly the size for my tablet. its obviously a knock off, they have one "C" slashed to show they are not trying to be a real copy before anyone wants to kill me.. I paid $35 for it.

I found two Louis Vuitton wallets that were a great deal! Lol!

We went to Nassau back in the spring and my 15 year old daughter enjoyed going to Ardastra Gardens (zoo). Its not far from the fish fry. She enjoyed seeing all of the animals and the marching flamingos. Also you can feed the lorri parrots. Not very expensive. They have a website. Google Ardastra Gardens in Nassau.

I can't tell you from experience, because this will be our first cruise, but I've been researching how to do Nassau on a budget.

My husband and I will be walking to the pirate museum ($12 or so per person). I hear it is more for kids than adults, but we are closer to the former than the latter!

Then we will take a bus or cab (buses are obviously cheaper) to the Ardastra Gardens ($16 per person I believe). It is a very small zoo with mostly birds and smaller creatures, but I think it will be a cool way to see some nature there. I am planning on going in time to feed the birds. I am afraid of birds myself :o, but I really want to try it!

Not sure where else you are stopping, but I'm planning on doing my shopping in Freeport. I hear that marketplace is really great and has a lot of music, food, and culture.

I found two Louis Vuitton wallets that were a great deal! Lol!

LOL

OP - tell the girls to watch what they buy in the straw market. There was a thread here a week or two back where US Customs was the knock off handbags the morning of debarkation. Seems like there were a lot of upset teenage girls who bought the fakes they sell at the straw market who then lost their new bags.

Just wondering how many are in your group and if there is more than one adult.

When I was there we found many tour operators offering atour of the island to the major sites. Its a great way to get an overview and still have time to walk around the local area (straw market etc)

We were able to agree on a price of about $15 or $20 per person as opposed to what they were asking.

The vans hold around 12 people and the tour lasts about 2 or 3 hours.

Goodness!! Most DEFINITELY there will be more than 1 adult! :D We are planning on a total of 12 people, 3 girls and 1 adult to each room. We really want to save as much $ as possible but I hesitate to let 9 teenage girls loose in the straw market! I'm thinking we need an additional fundraiser (besides our wonderful cookies!) to fund a snorkling trip. The Blue Hole link that PhinsAndGills posted is $40/person and I know my girls would love it! Unfortunately....that still adds up to almost $500 dollars for a 2 hour excursion! We'll see... Never underestimate the power of the Girl Scouts! ;)

Glad to hear you have help! Whew!!! Several things to look at... One if this is the first time cruise for some(all?) please consider using the ship sponsored excursion. I know they are more expensive BUT any delays the ship waits for you, not so with private ones. I am specifically talking about snorkeling and being on a boat. Walking around downtown, museums, free beach is fine to do on your own but with 9 kids that may/may not have their parents with them... I would use the ship's stuff.

Another note:

http://www.kickstarter.com/

My daughter is an artist and the group she does live performances with uses the website above to get donations for events. I bet you could use it to raise some money for the GS.

Good Luck and again You are a trooper!

Here is the link to the self-guided walking tour. My daughter and I did the walking tour in May and found the descriptions and photos to be quite helpful. I'd print out the whole thing (or at least most of it), if possible. We did not stop at Fort Fincastle, but we did the rest of the tour and it took us just about 2 hours. Go the the site below and click on "Walking Tour" on the left hand side of the page.

http://bahamas-treasures.com/

A few notes:

1) Be sure to go into the public library that was once a jail. The staff were very happy to see us visiting their library. Be sure to go to the top of the library for the views overlooking the city. And sign the visitor's book before you leave!

2) The walking tour indicates that you can easily enter the grounds of Government House. We were stopped by a guard at the gate, but he allowed us to walk through since we showed him the walking tour map and the next point was on the other side of the Government House grounds. However, we could not wander around--we had to stay in a prescribed area next to the curb of the driveway. To get the best view of Government House and the Columbus statue, go to the street that runs in front of Government House.

3) On the map, you will see a detour that takes you to Junkanoo Beach. Some CC posters do not like Junkanoo Beach, but we thought it looked perfectly fine (and it's free). Because the weather was drizzly the day we did this walking tour, we did not stay on the beach. But it is certainly an affordable option for your group if the weather is good.

We did a guided tour of the island for $20pp and they took us all around the island including the Queens Staircase, rumcake factory, beach, fish fry & Atlantis (you got to take a brief run thru as they have now closed the hotel access to the aquarium windows to non guests. :(

You could probably work out a discounted rate for your group as they travel in vans & buses.

We really enjoyed this, as we got to see the way the inhabitants of the island live, as well as Atlantis and didn't have to walk for long in the heat.

If you take the water taxi or regular taxi to Atlantis they have the Digs. This was very cool too, and I think they offer discount rates for groups. Granted this is man made but it is beautiful. Right down from here is a public beach too. :).

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will enjoy your visit to the Bahamas.

Junkanoo Beach is a short walk from the cruise terminal and would be a great way to spend part of the day. You can't go to the Bahamas without setting foot on the beach.

Depending how long the ship is in port, you can go over to Atlantis after 6pm - they stop charging for "The Dig" (their huge aquarium) after that time and it really is quite incredible. We did that last time - the girls will be in awe. I was skeptical about it - have seen fish before, lol - but really enjoyed it and the cab fare over and back is pretty cheap.

We have also done the walking tour - if you do that, make sure the girls don't carry a bunch of stuff they care about with them. We didn't have any issues, but there have been reports of pickpockets/minor thefts occurring near the Queen's Staircase - but I wouldn't avoid that spot - I'd just keep an extra eye open. I doubt they'd bother a large group of folks, anyway. If you do this, do it early - the heat will make it harder as the day goes on - then hit the ship for lunch, go to the beach, have dinner on the ship and go to Atlantis - you can kill a whole day, spend very little $$ and have a better time than people who spend upwards of $100 pp

Thank you!!! (especially GradUT for the website). I didn't think the walking tour would be too interesting but it was VERY helpful reading through the site and seeing just how close the public beach, etc is. I'm thinking we can scrap the snorkling for this trip and just do the freebie stuff. After all...I can always plan an Islamorada snorkling trip for 2014! (YEP....I'm ALWAYS thinking in advance!);)

Guitar gal,

Whatever you do, I'd recommend stopping at the Tourist Info Desk, as your first move when you get off the ship. It's right there in the arrival hall that you have to walk through. The girl was very helpful -- she gave us a map, circled the things we told her we wanted to see (we were doing a version of the Walking Tour). She pointed us in the right direction, and basically got us oriented before we set off. Very helpful & set us at at ease. Have a nice time! :)

Archived