We struck gold on Fascination!

APDMOM

Thank you so much for the terrific pictures. We will be on her Saturday and we are so excited. Are there signs to direct you to the other parking lot that is $8 and was it a secure area? After we disembark we are going to St. Augustine for the day. Do you have any recommendations of must see or do. We will have our daughters with us they are 9 and 6. Where do you recommend for sail away.

Hi There Kcep -

You guys may want to check out the Alligator Farm in St Augustine - it's really interesting/educational. While it has tons of gators it also has a great/huge bird rookery - Galapagos turtles - crocs - other reptiles etc.... pretty much in an "old world florida" setting. They also have zip lining over the park (for those strong of heart)! It's actually fun...even for gals. I was pleasantly surprised!

If you go check out the building where the rocking chairs are - it's cool to sit there, relax and feed the gators(25 cents for a handful of pellets).

St Augustine also has an old time carousel....the kids may also get a kick out of that... if you guys like pizza, salads, subs - Borrillo's is good and pretty inexpensive. It's a small family run place - it's been there forever....

Happy Sails

Adpmom - thank you so much for such an awesome and detailed review. We will be on the Fascination in September and certainly look forward to boarding her after your review!!! We had some apprehension as we have only sailed on HAL but with your review we are excited so thank you!

Couple questions if you don't mind....This will also be our first window room (not balcony) did you guys adjust well? Did you like the location of your room?

What was the tender situation for half moon key? Do you have to get a pass before hand?

Thanks in advance....oh and welcome home:)

We did not use the arcade, but there is one picture you will see when you can access it at home. It is pretty small. I assume you know it is not free and charged to you onboard account? I have read some interesting stories of people who did not know and got quite the "surprise" bill at the end of their cruise :eek: Just want to make sure you know...:)

Hope you can see the pics at home!

Thanks! Even though it was small, we finally got to see a pic of the arcade. I am super excited to go!!!! 98 days! Great review!

Adpmom - thank you so much for such an awesome and detailed review. We will be on the Fascination in September and certainly look forward to boarding her after your review!!! We had some apprehension as we have only sailed on HAL but with your review we are excited so thank you!

Couple questions if you don't mind....This will also be our first window room (not balcony) did you guys adjust well? Did you like the location of your room?

What was the tender situation for half moon key? Do you have to get a pass before hand?

Thanks in advance....oh and welcome home:)

We are frequently in an oceanview room so it was not much of an adjustment. With the lovely aft area on deck 10, we did not miss it much. The main reason we sometimes splurge on a balcony is so that our son can go to bed while we can sit and enjoy the ocean sounds and fresh air on the balcony.

As far as the tendering: Maybe others can give input here. Our particular experience was pretty poor. We always opt for general clearance, but for this ship, I would recommend getting the tender ticket in stead. The procedure is described in the Fun times on the first sea day. You stand in line at the show lounge to get the tender tickets. Since we did not want to waste time standing in line, we waited for general clearance. However, this is the longest we ever had to wait... until after lunch. There simply were not enough tenders for our close to capasity sailing. This is by no means to complain - just to help you be prepared for the scenarios you may face. Like I said, I hope our experience was unique & that they usually do a better job. HMC is definitely worth a nice long visit! The tender situation did not spoil that experience. :) Hope this helps!

Here are the fun times if you want to read about the procedure:

Click Here

We are frequently in an oceanview room so it was not much of an adjustment. With the lovely aft area on deck 10, we did not miss it much. The main reason we sometimes splurge on a balcony is so that our son can go to bed while we can sit and enjoy the ocean sounds and fresh air on the balcony.

As far as the tendering: Maybe others can give input here. Our particular experience was pretty poor. We always opt for general clearance, but for this ship, I would recommend getting the tender ticket in stead. The procedure is described in the Fun times on the first sea day. You stand in line at the show lounge to get the tender tickets. Since we did not want to waste time standing in line, we waited for general clearance. However, this is the longest we ever had to wait... until after lunch. There simply were not enough tenders for our close to capasity sailing. This is by no means to complain - just to help you be prepared for the scenarios you may face. Like I said, I hope our experience was unique & that they usually do a better job. HMC is definitely worth a nice long visit! The tender situation did not spoil that experience. :) Hope this helps!

Click Here

Thank you For your reply Apdmom!! Glad you liked the cabin - i just worry about room size but we are going to try to travel lite for this one... Further your pictures have inspired me to rise early - so time in room will be limited---so thank you for that!! We are fans of HMC so thank you as well the tender info...

Thank you For your reply Apdmom!! Glad you liked the cabin - i just worry about room size but we are going to try to travel lite for this one... Further your pictures have inspired me to rise early - so time in room will be limited---so thank you for that!! We are fans of HMC so thank you as well the tender info...

You are welcome. Despite the small size of the cabin, it still has a lot of storage space. The suitcases fit nicely under the beds. We were 3 sharing the cabin and had more than enough space for our 'stuff'. :)

Click Here

We booked a cabana at HMC, will we automatically get a tender in the morning? I ask as that is what happened in Belize, we got a tender (one of the first) due to our excursion. I would hate to have paid $200 for just 2 hours.

We booked a cabana at HMC, will we automatically get a tender in the morning? I ask as that is what happened in Belize, we got a tender (one of the first) due to our excursion. I would hate to have paid $200 for just 2 hours.

I don't know about the cabanas. Maybe ask for a definite answer on the HMC forum or start a thread if nobody else gives input here. All I know is that our friends had a snorkel excursion for 1 p.m. and they had to stand in line for a tender ticket. It may be different for cabanas.

I do agree that if you pay that much for a cabana they should give you priority tendering.

After about 2 years of taking pictures from the shore in Mayport, we finally got to board Carnival Fascination for the first time on July 21! we were quite surprised to find that we were 'Gold', even though we were 1 night short. Contrary to my understanding, we did not have to complete this cruise to become gold...

Congratulations! I need to ask what type of camera you are using? Your photos, unlike mine, are crystal clear.

Congratulations! I need to ask what type of camera you are using? Your photos, unlike mine, are crystal clear.

Thank you :) I use a Nikon D40x. It is off the market now, but the D90 is similar. I sometimes get tired of hauling the lenses, but it is worthwhile when the pictures are so clear... I might look into a superzoom or similar camera, without the interchangeable lenses, in future.

Did you have to reserve your parking or could you just arrive the morning of the cruise? Do you have the parking lot name and email?

Thank You,

Martha

We did make a reservation via e-mail. If you plan to show up early, I don't think a reservation is necessary. For their web address: click here.

They are Jacksonville Cruiser (Or Jacksonville Cruise Parking). Hope this helps!

APDMOM, you ain't gonna believe what we just did... We're out on Fascination for a B2B on August 18 and 23. Not asking you to make a special trip, but if you happen to be there, I'll be in my usual spot on Lido wearing a bright shirt. This'll be cruise 7 and 8 total, 5 and 6 on Fascination, and our fourth to HMC if we don't get rained out again...

So you found my little stub decks on Lido. Nice place to hang out, and usually not too busy. Now that you've reviewed them, and we've talked about them, they'll probably be overrun from now on. I gotta quit giving away all my secrets! ;)

I've been lagging on my reviews and photos from our last trip. I found that "secret deck" forward from the main lounge, and got some photos how to get there and what it looks like, and also found a new hideaway on the sports deck forward of the mini-golf course. Should I make a new thread, pirate your thread and post them here, or both? If I start a new thread, I'll prob'ly wait til we get back at the end of the month, after re-taking some of the pic's that didn't come out too well, and some I forgot to take, last time.

Glad you had a blast on "my" ship. :D :D

APDMOM, you ain't gonna believe what we just did... We're out on Fascination for a B2B on August 18 and 23. Not asking you to make a special trip, but if you happen to be there, I'll be in my usual spot on Lido wearing a bright shirt. This'll be cruise 7 and 8 total, 5 and 6 on Fascination, and our fourth to HMC if we don't get rained out again...

So you found my little stub decks on Lido. Nice place to hang out, and usually not too busy. Now that you've reviewed them, and we've talked about them, they'll probably be overrun from now on. I gotta quit giving away all my secrets! ;)

I've been lagging on my reviews and photos from our last trip. I found that "secret deck" forward from the main lounge, and got some photos how to get there and what it looks like, and also found a new hideaway on the sports deck forward of the mini-golf course. Should I make a new thread, pirate your thread and post them here, or both? If I start a new thread, I'll prob'ly wait til we get back at the end of the month, after re-taking some of the pic's that didn't come out too well, and some I forgot to take, last time.

Glad you had a blast on "my" ship. :D :D

Ha-ha! You just can't stay away from your ship very long, can you? I will let you know if we decide to go out one of those two days - we probably will if nothing comes up with school starting. I have been back at work for 3 days and am spent! I need another cruise...:rolleyes:

I found the same spot by the mini golf, but unfortunately about 40 teens found it too! :D

Anyway, enjoy planning - can't wait to see your pics!

We have always gotten to be the first to board the tender with our cabana reservation. We are platinum as well but we were told to meet in a specific lounge each time for the tender with our reservation.

This was the first time I noticed the white thing on the funnel. I have never seen it on other ships. Could it be a sort of sensor for the bridge? Maybe it is on other ships and I just never paid attention.... I will have to look back at my photos...

623ccf52.jpg

That looks like it could be the stern light, or possibly one of the anchor lights... I'll keep an eye out for it next week and let you know.

You do get priority tendering for the cabanas and the Oasis. When you select your cabana at the Excursion Desk, ask them for details...

I was on that Fascination Cruise with you...and we had a whale of a time! We have sailed a bit and on the way over..we were telling each other..now this is an old ship...don't expect much...and....You know.....it was clean, clean. The other guests were the most laid back and pleasant I have ever sailed with....with half of them from the State of Georgia I think. All Georgia Peaches. Lots of high school and college graduates......who could not have been better behaved or nicer.

So then I started looking at your pictures of the Dawn..and I had thought about that for a fall cruise and then.....naw.....don't know anything about it..And those Pictures of yours! Well, it is almost midnight and I have to wait until tomorrow to see them all.

the Dawn looks very Oriental. Am I wrong? Do you have their Daily Schedule? Do you remember if they had a good range of activies..Trivia and such?

LOVED looking at your pictures. Weill do it some more tomorrow.

We hope to sail the Fascination next May too. I thought Key West was lovely. I want to go back, and this time get off of the Trolley and see a few places.

This was the first time I noticed the white thing on the funnel. I have never seen it on other ships. Could it be a sort of sensor for the bridge? Maybe it is on other ships and I just never paid attention.... I will have to look back at my photos...

623ccf52.jpg

That looks like it could be the stern light, or possibly one of the anchor lights... I'll keep an eye out for it next week and let you know.

I did a little research - it's the "After Masthead Light," basically the highest point of the ship. Since the current regulations for navigation lights have been in place since the 1970's, this has probably been there since the ship's construction... (the light itself shows in nighttime photos I've taken on every cruise ;) )

You do get priority tendering for the cabanas and the Oasis. When you select your cabana at the Excursion Desk, ask them for details...

I did a little research - it's the "After Masthead Light," basically the highest point of the ship. Since the current regulations for navigation lights have been in place since the 1970's, this has probably been there since the ship's construction... (the light itself shows in nighttime photos I've taken on every cruise ;) )

You are the research guru! Thanks for teaching us something new today. You know I will be looking at every ship more closely from now on to see that light! :)

I was on that Fascination Cruise with you...and we had a whale of a time! We have sailed a bit and on the way over..we were telling each other..now this is an old ship...don't expect much...and....You know.....it was clean, clean. The other guests were the most laid back and pleasant I have ever sailed with....with half of them from the State of Georgia I think. All Georgia Peaches. Lots of high school and college graduates......who could not have been better behaved or nicer.

So then I started looking at your pictures of the Dawn..and I had thought about that for a fall cruise and then.....naw.....don't know anything about it..And those Pictures of yours! Well, it is almost midnight and I have to wait until tomorrow to see them all.

the Dawn looks very Oriental. Am I wrong? Do you have their Daily Schedule? Do you remember if they had a good range of activies..Trivia and such?

LOVED looking at your pictures. Weill do it some more tomorrow.

We hope to sail the Fascination next May too. I thought Key West was lovely. I want to go back, and this time get off of the Trolley and see a few places.

I do have some dailies from the Dawn posted...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1536111&highlight=dawn+dailies

I don't know much about decoration, so I can't really comment on the oriental style. They do have a Habachi grill and a Sake bar, so that may give the impression. NCL has many optional paid restaurants. Our favorite entertainment was in the Atrium at night with Lucky Duo. Their coffee bar is in the atrium and you can get free regular coffee or paid specialty coffe & enjoy the music! You can see some tips regarding the ship in my review listed below. Hope this helps!

Archived