Teen "house arrest" on the Oasis

And shame on the parents for not parenting!

Several times I have seen posts from parents complaining that the curfew was too strict, etc. The impression given is that the parent does not want to have to deal with making sure their child is in by a certain time. There is absolutely no way I would go to sleep until my child was in for the night.

We are about to take my almost 15 year old son on a cruise and the wrath of the captain would be nothing compared to my wrath if my son behaved like that. Parents MUST be responsible for their own children. It is nobody else's responsibility! Yes we want our children to have fun and a 15 year old isn't going to be tied to their parents all day and night like a 3 year old would be. However ground rules should be set and followed and then everyone should be able to have a good cruise. The lad in question and his parents should be ashamed! Disturbing 1000s of people is totally unacceptable in a situation like this. 100%blame lies with the parents.

I just got off Oasis today.

A 15 year old male did not come back to his cabin on Thursday. His mother noticed at 4 am that he had not returned. She had not seen her son since dinner.

Two announcements had to be made to locate the boy, waking up a ship of 8,000+ crew and guests at 4 am. The boy was located in another person's cabin.

The captain made his disgust known with his own noon announcement admonishing parents to parent their children. I was also at his session an hour later where he takes questions about the ship, and this topic came up. He was very blunt about his disgust with the situation.

The captain put the boy under cabin arrest so to speak; he was not allowed out of his cabin for the last full (sea day) of the cruise and one parent had to remain with him at all times.

Some people felt the punishment was too harsh - others, not harsh enough.

I wonder if they would have made them disembark, if it hadn't been a sea day?

Depending on the severity of what the kid did...good for the captain. Some parents don't parent their kids AND are their ultimate excusemakers and blind defenders when they've done something wrong. Others, parents included, should follow this captain's lead.

Who's cabin was the boy in? If he was in a cabin with other kids his age. Why didn't the parents in that cabin send him back to his cabin. If he was hanging with older people in cabin, there can't be anything good going on there.

I hope be wasn't in a employee's cabin. The story just seems weird to me, that anyone would allow a 15 year old in their cabin so late.

I was going to post the same questions and statements. I would like to hear the rest of this story.

There is absolutely no way I would go to sleep until my child was in for the night.

^^ This ^^

I hope they enjoyed their last cruise on RCCL. I'm sure they have a big black check next to their name.

Shame on these parents for their lack of attentiveness and disrupting eveyone's cruise in the middle of the night. Go captain!!!!

Bravo Captain!

What the kid didn't think about, because kids are kids, is that the Captain and parents had no idea if he was alive, overboard, or what. From the Captains perspective, he might have been looking at turning the ship around and doing a man hunt. If the kid was not going to be in his cabin, a simple phone call to his parents just to let them know he was alive would have saved a lot of people a lot of trouble. Think of the poor staff who got woken up also.

Overall, I am glad it is a story about a wayward 15 year old and not a water rescue.

There is more to this story than is being told...or known. I have been on sailings where similar has happened...it's not all that uncommon that one kid will end up hanging in some other kids cabin and end up falling asleep or something. There had to be more involved here to be placed under house arrest...either the kid was found drunk ....drugs....or something.

Let the kid have some fun...

Stirring the pot, are we???? You really can't be serious, so you must be just pot stirring.....

It's about time a Captain grew some man jewels.

Huh? What more would you have had him do....put the family in a lifeboat and set them adrift at sea?

And shame on the parents for not parenting!

Several times I have seen posts from parents complaining that the curfew was too strict, etc. The impression given is that the parent does not want to have to deal with making sure their child is in by a certain time. There is absolutely no way I would go to sleep until my child was in for the night.

Absolutely Agree!

Stirring the pot, are we???? You really can't be serious, so you must be just pot stirring.....

That is his job on here :D

Huh? What more would you have had him do....put the family in a lifeboat and set them adrift at sea?

I think he meant the captain did .. not the captain should ..

I think that is what the poster is saying. It is about time someone did something about a situation like this, not that the captain should have had the family walk the plank.

There is more to this story than is being told...or known. I have been on sailings where similar has happened...it's not all that uncommon that one kid will end up hanging in some other kids cabin and end up falling asleep or something. There had to be more involved here to be placed under house arrest...either the kid was found drunk ....drugs....or something.

I agree. The same thoughts came to me when I read that a parent had to stay with him in the cabin.

I could never sleep until my child was in the cabin. :confused:

I think he meant the captain did .. not the captain should ..

OH.....of course that's what was meant! I thought that poster was saying that the captain needed to "man up" and get tougher with the family. I guess it's all in the inflection.....

Teen curfew is posted on all cruise compasses I've seen. I do agree, the captain did right and the parents need to do checks on a regular basis. I took our son on several cruises and I checked on him on a regular basis. I also would meet the kids he was hanging with so that I could see who/what they were like. It's called parenting!

Hang them from the yard arm or walk the plank! :D

And my apologies for the unwanted visual. Obviously' date=' you are a faster learner than I am. :D[/quote']

No problem at all! :) But honestly about the "Ignore" feature, it's a life-saver on these boards. My blood pressure is a lot lower now! Bwahahaha!! :p

Archived