Teen "house arrest" on the Oasis

Just a quick one

have you ever done anything wrong?

if so was that your parents fault

You maybe an adult now but your still there child

Sure I have, though I don´t think it was ever to the extend of my actions disturbing thounds of people.

As long as I was a kid / teen my parents had to take the conswequences for my mistakes and of course I had to take my punishment from them.

Once I was grown up of course my parents didn´t have to take consequences for me anymore and I always stand up for my mistakes.

Yep I do make mistakes and yep I´m a firm believer in admitting mistakes and taking the blame for them.

That is pretty much his modus operandi as you can see if you search for his other posts. Just ignore him and perhaps he will do us a favor and go away.:rolleyes:

Yes, I've noticed this about him before, too. Anything to be contrary......I need to update my ignore list. :D

Unless the captain specifically related the details of the incident in his announcement or during the question and answer session (child not seen for 10 hours, mother asleep at woke at 4 AM to find son missing) then the details of what occurred are pure hearsay and gossip as heard around the pool. I seriously doubt that the captain would go into the details of the incident as reported in the Original post.

Hearsay? Gossip? I was at the Q&A with around 100 other people. Hopefully someone else on this board was at the Q&A and can verify that I am not a liar. Why would you doubt it? I already said that the captain was not playing any nicey-nice PR in response to the question that was asked re: "packs" of teens running rampant on the ship. It was clear that the captain was disgusted.

Since you think that for whatever reason I am a gossip and unreliable, then ask others what he said in the very public noon announcement; that a child need to be located and was found. He apologized that the actions of one family should impact the entire ship. He also said, "parents, please parent your children." To over 8,000 people.

I work with teens every day as a librarian. I don't think teens are irresponsible creatures. I traveled on the Oasis with a 17 year old. Why in the world you seem to find what I say unreliable is now starting to seem like a thinly veiled personal assault. I have no clue why. I was simply reporting what occurred.

Over and out.

Neither

You stated you where told the woman woke up at 4 am

You also stated that there was an announcement at 4 am

In your original post

So which statement is accurate?

How can I block this fool?

Sorry I did not look at my watch for the exact time of the announcement.

Unless the captain specifically related the details of the incident in his announcement or during the question and answer session (child not seen for 10 hours, mother asleep at woke at 4 AM to find son missing) then the details of what occurred are pure hearsay and gossip as heard around the pool. I seriously doubt that the captain would go into the details of the incident as reported in the Original post.

You are fighting both sides of your own argument. You will only believe the information if the Captain said it but then you don't believe the Captain actually said what the OP has reported. You might as well disqualify all information on this board as hearsay then since we have no way of vetting posters.

You are fighting both sides of your own argument. You will only believe the information if the Captain said it but then you don't believe the Captain actually said what the OP has reported. You might as well disqualify all information on this board as hearsay then since we have no way of vetting posters.

Thank you for some reason. Well said.

We were on that cruise and there were two announcements early in the morning - sometime between 4 and 5 am about a missing teen. They announced the passenger's name. We weren't at the captain's Q&A but did hear the noon announcement where the captain apologized for having to wake the entire ship due to a missing 15 year old and reminded parents to parent their children.

OP,

I believed you when you posted the first time and I believe you now.

To those who are defending the parents:

Granted they may be decent parents, but they made a huge mistake this time by not doing a visual check on their 15 year old for a 10 hour period.

I've read too many posts that pertain to kids given free reign and end up ruining family vacations.

Since our kids will be just shy of 10 & 15 when we cruise, I'm telling you right now that they WILL NOT have the freedom to do as they please, when they please at ungodly hours. They WILL be in their cabin by a reasonable hour and if I find out they leave w/o my permission, they will not see their next birthday!

Fortunately, my kids are very well behaved, but that's because I am fairly strict and take my responsibilities as a parent seriously. I trust them to make good decisions as they know the wrath of Mom is not worth breaking the rules!

Parent your children people!

My parents did the same things as you are doing now - and we were all scared of the consequences of our misbehavior, punishment was severe - but that didn't stop us from doing things we weren't supposed to. Out of the 5 of us, only two of us never got caught, and it made our siblings sick to always hear how "perfect" we were (but they never ratted us out, either). So don't think your perfect teens aren't perfectly capable of sneaking out/sneaking back in without your knowledge. They are.

Since I was such an accomplished sneak, I knew what to look for when my own children were teens, but I have no doubt they were able to get things by us! That is what teenagers do, even the perfect ones!

We were on that cruise and there were two announcements early in the morning - sometime between 4 and 5 am about a missing teen. They announced the passenger's name. We weren't at the captain's Q&A but did hear the noon announcement where the captain apologized for having to wake the entire ship due to a missing 15 year old and reminded parents to parent their children.

Hi Jeal!

I guess that makes two of us gossips and hearsayers :) I wish you had been at the Q&A:)

And this is why I can't imagine booking anything but connecting rooms.

Granted my kids are younger (my oldest is 10) but I foresee connecting cabins until my kids are old enough to pay for their own cruise and are legally responsible for their own actions. It costs more than booking the kids in an inside, but peace of mind is worth that cost IMHO.

But booking connecting rooms would not have made any difference in this case - the youngster was not in the cabin.

I have had the experience of bringing 2 girls through teens. I only have 6 weeks left to go with the youngest and to my despair she is going to spend 3 of those in Nepal :eek:. It is hard and I sympathise with parents. The inconsistency of RCI following the curfew does not help. We all say "bravo Captain" for being so strict, but why do we then have many kids clearly breaking the rules and there not being a consequence.

Either make the rules and follow them through - or don't make the rules at all.

My parents did the same things as you are doing now - and we were all scared of the consequences of our misbehavior, punishment was severe - but that didn't stop us from doing things we weren't supposed to. Out of the 5 of us, only two of us never got caught, and it made our siblings sick to always hear how "perfect" we were (but they never ratted us out, either). So don't think your perfect teens aren't perfectly capable of sneaking out/sneaking back in without your knowledge. They are.

Since I was such an accomplished sneak, I knew what to look for when my own children were teens, but I have no doubt they were able to get things by us! That is what teenagers do, even the perfect ones!

Sorry? Did I mention my kids were "perfect"? Far from! ;) But I also know my kids... 14 yr old chose to be home schooled since he is far more mature than his school mates and doesn't give into peer pressure. My daughter (9yrs old), the social butterfly, is a "people pleaser" and is devastated when disciplined.

Please don't jump to conclusions as I do know my kids better than you. I do know that if given the chance, ALL kids will try to push the limits. (I, too, was a kid once! :D)

All I was trying to say is that I want my fellow cruisers to know that my kids will be monitored and not given the opportunity to ruin your vacation with late night announcements. In fact, I use these stories of bad behavior to remind my kids what can happen if they do something irresponsible. It's a good reminder for me as a parent too!

Hope this is made clear. :)

While I agree that the parents need to be a little more proactive in ensuring their child is where he is supposed to be, I think some posters are forgetting how they were as teenagers. I know for a fact that none of us were perfect angels during those years. :D Kids do stupid things. This one got caught and he got an appropriate punishment. The OP didn't say the whole family was restricted to their cabin, but the kid was. That's the way it should've been, and hopefully those parents give an appropriate punishment when they get home (if it were me, the kid wouldn't be allowed to join us on future cruises).

Sorry if I've missed this in all the pages but I wonder about the people in the cabin where the boy was. Were they victims or were they at fault as well. Seems likely to me they are at least partially guilty, but no way to really know without the other side of the story.

Roy

Carnival was brought up for what reason? :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm I mistaken? Isn't this thread on Royal? I'm sure this person has never been on a Carnival cruise and just believes what she wants to believe, facts be damn.

In response to me, you said,

The curfew, in this case, would have no impact as the kid was'nt roaming the ship, but in someone else's cabin.

The curfew was disobeyed as the minor was not in his own cabin at curfew. Just because he was not "roaming the ship" does not mean he did not break curfew.

In response to me, you said,

The curfew was disobeyed as the minor was not in his own cabin at curfew. Just because he was not "roaming the ship" does not mean he did not break curfew.

The wording I've seen just says that teens cannot be in public areas after 1 AM unless they are with a parent or guardian. I don't remember any wording stating that they had to be in their own cabin. Maybe the wording varies ship by ship.

I believe I said "unless the Captain confirmed the detail" during his Q&A session that in fact the child had not been seen in 8 hours and his mother was asleep and awoke at 4 AM to find him missing then we were dealing with hersay. The OP has confirmed that they heard the captain confirm these details with his/her own ears so obviously they are accurate statements of what occurred and the parents should be held to blame.

But booking connecting rooms would not have made any difference in this case - the youngster was not in the cabin.

I have had the experience of bringing 2 girls through teens. I only have 6 weeks left to go with the youngest and to my despair she is going to spend 3 of those in Nepal :eek:. It is hard and I sympathise with parents. The inconsistency of RCI following the curfew does not help. We all say "bravo Captain" for being so strict, but why do we then have many kids clearly breaking the rules and there not being a consequence.

Either make the rules and follow them through - or don't make the rules at all.

The connecting cabins would make it extremely difficult for a teen to sneak out after bed check.

Not that it would have helped in this case. It appears the parents went to sleep without making sure their child was safely back in his room. That's the parenting I take issue with.

The wording I've seen just says that teens cannot be in public areas after 1 AM unless they are with a parent or guardian. I don't remember any wording stating that they had to be in their own cabin. Maybe the wording varies ship by ship.

Of course in order for them to get from the cabin they're in back to their own cabin before mom and dad wake up, they do have to violate the curfew ;)

Archived