Teen "house arrest" on the Oasis

Why don't the cruiselines institute a curfew for kids. Pick a realistic age- appropriate time as the kids are on vacation. Have it as part of the cruise contract with defined punishments. It would be nice if parents properly parented their kids but we all know there are some parents who just let their kids do whatever they want. They seem to think that their vacation is a vacation from their parental duties as well. These are the kids that make people cringe when they know there will be lots of kids on a cruise.

RCI ships so have a curfew for kids (1 am) and the age is, IMO, quite appropriate. Bravo to the Captain. This kid's action caused a disruption to everyone else's enjoyment of their cruise and he needed to be disciplined. His parents should have done something about this kid, long before they took him on the cruise.

Stirring the pot, are we???? You really can't be serious, so you must be just pot stirring.....

That is pretty much his modus operandi as you can see if you search for his other posts. Just ignore him and perhaps he will do us a favor and go away.:rolleyes:

"There is more to this story than is being told...or known."

There may well be, but do we really need to know the details? Whether or not something else was going on isn't really something we need to know. The Captain seemed to feel that the violation was serious enough to merit the punishment he meted out and that is good enough for me.

I just got off Oasis today.

A 15 year old male did not come back to his cabin on Thursday. His mother noticed at 4 am that he had not returned. She had not seen her son since dinner.

Two announcements had to be made to locate the boy, waking up a ship of 8,000+ crew and guests at 4 am. The boy was located in another person's cabin.

The captain made his disgust known with his own noon announcement admonishing parents to parent their children. I was also at his session an hour later where he takes questions about the ship, and this topic came up. He was very blunt about his disgust with the situation.

The captain put the boy under cabin arrest so to speak; he was not allowed out of his cabin for the last full (sea day) of the cruise and one parent had to remain with him at all times.

Some people felt the punishment was too harsh - others, not harsh enough.

I wonder if they would have made them disembark, if it hadn't been a sea day?

The cabin arrest should of been both parents!!!!!

I am curious about being in someone else's cabin and what the parents thought of that as well

Think of all of the families who book their kids in their OWN cabin. It is quite possible that the parents of the kids in the cabin checked that their kids were in their beds and then went to bed themselves.

The "missing" boy *could* have turned up at the kids' cabin after that bed check.

Just one possible scenario for everyone speculating about the "other" parents.

As parents we tell our teen-age children the rules, as our own parents did....but, just like when we were teenagers, what they told us and what we tried to get away with is 2 different things....the teen disco closes at 1:00....people want to hang the parent....the parents could have been searching for him for a couple of hours before they even contacted guest service....If God gave us teenagers first, there would be no parents..I am not saying the punishment is wrong, I am saying don't judge the parents, since none of us know what the parents did or did not do...

There are so many comments that I agree with so, in summary, I will just say bravo to the captain.

I feel bad for the passengers who were woken over and over and for the crew who probably had to wake up and search the entire ship.

Horrible parenting in my opinion.

###

Think of all of the families who book their kids in their OWN cabin. It is quite possible that the parents of the kids in the cabin checked that their kids were in their beds and then went to bed themselves.

The "missing" boy *could* have turned up at the kids' cabin after that bed check.

And this is why I can't imagine booking anything but connecting rooms.

Granted my kids are younger (my oldest is 10) but I foresee connecting cabins until my kids are old enough to pay for their own cruise and are legally responsible for their own actions. It costs more than booking the kids in an inside, but peace of mind is worth that cost IMHO.

Granted my kids are younger (my oldest is 10) but I foresee connecting cabins until my kids are old enough to pay for their own cruise and are legally responsible for their own actions. It costs more than booking the kids in an inside, but peace of mind is worth that cost IMHO.

Like:D

That's because you're a PARENT - not an adult who wants to be their child's best friend. :) Good for you.

That's what I was thinking.

When on a cruise ship you are traveling on a small city worth of people. Some people feel they are on vacation and nothing can go wrong and all are safe. But the world is made off all kinds of people both good and not so good. Both kinds travel on cruise ships. The same danger that can be found on land may be found on a cruise ship. (Ex. People going overboard). People make new friends on board (and most are good people) but there is the other types too. So, kids hang out with new friend who they know NOTHING about, things can happen. Some people will do something on vacation that they would never do at home. In short, protect your children and yourself.

Know where they are.

See the OP; must have been a typo...kid was 15.

My kid, 17 1/2 had a curfew of midnight, at 5 past I put on my shoes and was headed out to find her. She was in the hall headed my way, had wanted to see the " day " sign changed. She was sober, quiet and respectful, but she knew I was expecting her and she knew what was expected of her behavior! My 15 yo was in bed. People party, they let their kids roam and it gets ugly. This mom is lucky it was just a po'ed Captain and not a dead teen.

I apologize! It was typo on my part. The teen was 15 - NOT 25.

Archived