Baltic Treasures July 12-22 Report

sacarr

roothy123,

We also toured with Alla and we asked Julia, our guide, if she would take us a couple of places to shop. Several wanted the dolls, textiles, amber jewelry, and others wanted vodka. She was more than happy to arrange that but just tell her upfront so she can incorporate that into the schedule. Some of us also wanted to ride the metro and she did that for us as well.

The gift shop at the Hermitage is also pretty cool. I bought amber earrings for my daughter. c

Thanks. You were on one of her regular tours, 16 pax per van, right? I don't even know if she offers customized tours, but if so, just wanted to make sure you weren't doing one of those.

Nope, we were on an even larger tour. I found a group from Canada who had 2 openings and jumped on it so I think there were about 30 of us and she still did the customizing thing. As I said, just tell her as soon as you can so that she can try to fit it into the schedule.

One of the women in the group wanted to stay a little longer at one of the stops until her husband told her that Julia said it was time to go shop for vodka....and she promptly got on the bus. She said the bottles were to be "gifts" and her friends mocked her. She allowed as how she might have to do a taste test just to make sure it was ok for gift-giving! c

Thank you Steve - great reports. And I am delighted to hear about the WiFi package. I read that there would be one for the PH and above suites but did not have any details. $20/day is very reasonable, I think.

Your whole time in Scandinavia/Russia sounds just fabulous!

I don't believe that the 20/day internet was limited to PH and above. I saw a card about it in the computer lab. No mention of restrictions like that.

That is fantastic news... So can we say with certainty that the flat rate internet is applicable to all staterooms? We are in a veranda next August on Marina and will certainly make use of this package if available to us.

What ports on this Baltic Cruise require tendering off shore? Just wondering since we have private tours arranged later this month in several cities. Thanks for the excellent review.....very helpful. Great news about unlimited internet. We took Marina in October (Venice to Rome) and reception was poor (wouldn't work with IPAD in statesroom) and ran up $300+ bill. Sounds like a major upgrade.

ffnole, We're doing Copenhagen to Stockholm on Marina in 6 days. According to the itinerary, plus what I've read, you'll only tender in Visby. Of course, if things change by the time you go, or you have unusual weather or circumstances, that could be different.

I just walked in the door (literally), from the Baltic Treasures July 22-Aug 1, Copenhagen-Stockholm cruise aboard the Marina. We were in a PH3 room, 10036, also with Lincoln as our Butler.

This was an outstanding, port intensive cruise to fascinating cities.

We used SpB Tours for private tours of Berlin and St. Petersburg. Both guides (Preston in Berlin and Elena in St. Petersburg) were professional and interesting, with encyclopedic knowledge of their cities. Elena was the best guide we have ever had. We also used private guides in Tallinn (not necessary) and Gdansk/Gdynia (recommended).

The food aboard the Marina was uniformly superb. We ate in all the specialty restaurants (twice in Toscana, Polo Grill and Red Ginger, and once in Jacques) and twice in the Grand Dining Room and buffet. The only deficiency was in the Waves Pool Grill-our order was forgotten once, and the smoothie maker couldn't produce a decent smoothie despite 6 attempts. They were all ice-y or watery or flavorless. My husband's one request for a vanilla milkshake produced a glass of milk.

Our PH3 room was immaculately maintained and the bed was very comfortable.

We also took advantage of the all-cruise $219 internet deal. The speeds were acceptable and service was never interrupted for a long period.

We are not big alcohol drinkers so can't comment on wines, but we did have after-tour, before-dinner cocktails and all the bartenders were superb. They all mixed perfect drinks, and the daily $5 specials were appreciated. There were usually 3 drinks from which to choose for the $5.

We loved the size of the boat; thought it was perfect. We were worried it would be too big after being on Azamara and Paul Gauguin, but actually preferred it to those because of the extra restaurants that it supported. The boat never felt crowded at all. Everyone appeared to be upper middle class and well traveled.

We went to two shows, Groovin and Con Molto, and thought Groovin was fun, but con Molto was painful to sit through. The dancers and singers just weren't up to Pavarotti songs combined with ballet steps. Willie Aames, from 'Eight is Enough' fame, is the Cruise Director and did an excellent job of keeping everyone informed.

Our weather was very different from the preceding cruise. We had sunny, HOT weather with no rain at all. I had watched the temps for 2 months, and had taken out my shorts at the last minute...big mistake! After sweltering for almost a week, we were happy to finally feel the chill in Helsinki.

Final score is definitely 5* for boat, food, and itinerary!

Hi jetpuffed from Virginia (I'm from Maryland - did you by chance fly Icelandair and if so, how was it? When did you have to be at Dulles?)

One week from tonight, at this exact minute, we will either be taking off or sitting on a plane bound for Iceland, so I am getting really excited. I've been on Marina before, and had Willie Aames as director before (though not on Marina - Regatta, and also didn't know he was on Eight is Enough - I live in a cave!) so know what to expect about those things. However, I have never been to the Baltic and so have been anxiously awaiting our cruise. It's good to hear that it was hot and sunny. I like hot and sunny, and quite honestly, I've seen so many pictures of gray Baltic days, I was a bit worried! I hope it stays nice for us.

Oceania just keeps getting better and better, it seems. Yep, I was afraid I wouldn't like Marina because of her size, as we cruised on Regatta and Insignia before. However, as you say, she doesn't seem overcrowded, and those two extra restaurants, plus the better grill at the Terrace, make up for the larger ship and greater number of passengers. Just a couple questions, if you don't mind:

Did you dock at Langelinie in Copenhagen, or Freeport? Did you use cash or credit cards in Copenhagen? If credit cards without a PIN or chip, was there any problem with that? There has been much discussion about this!

If you were at the Marriott and had O's transfer to the ship, about what time did they take you?

Was there a shuttle in Riga? One person said yes, another 2 no! I know the ship docks close to the Old Town, within easy walking distance, but just thought I'd ask.

Did you have a favorite port? Least favorite?

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. I'm getting really excited.

OK, I lied. At this moment (8:59 EST) next week we should be up in the air! Copenhagen here I come.

...We went to two shows, Groovin and Con Molto, and thought Groovin was fun, but con Molto was painful to sit through. The dancers and singers just weren't up to Pavarotti songs combined with ballet steps...

That's too bad. On Marina's maiden voyage, and continuing on the next voyage to San Francisco, "Con Molto" was our favorite show primarily because they had a tenor who could really handle the classical music. On the other hand, "Groovin'" was not our favorite show, as we remember the original singers and groups too well. Obviously, the cast has changed.

I believe Marina's shows are still produced by Gary Musick Productions, while those on Riviera are produced by the Jean Ann Ryan Productions. Having seen both, and even thugh I appreciuated the "Con Molto" show with the original cast, I was blown away with the Jean Ann Ryan shows (which I also have seen twice), especially the Andrew Lloyd Webber show and "Dawning of Aquarius", which included numbers from one of my favorite broadway shows. I don't know if the Jean Ann Ryan shows will replace Gary Muswick when that contract expires.

I'll be back on Riviera for the 3rd and 4th time in December and April, primarily because it's now my favorite ship, and that's partly because of the entertainment.

What ports on this Baltic Cruise require tendering off shore? Just wondering since we have private tours arranged later this month in several cities.

We tendered in Visby and Svaneke. If we had gone to Ronne as originally planned we were scheduled to dock.

Steve

Did you dock at Langelinie in Copenhagen, or Freeport? Did you use cash or credit cards in Copenhagen? If credit cards without a PIN or chip, was there any problem with that? There has been much discussion about this!

If you were at the Marriott and had O's transfer to the ship, about what time did they take you?

Was there a shuttle in Riga? One person said yes, another 2 no! I know the ship docks close to the Old Town, within easy walking distance, but just thought I'd ask.

Did you have a favorite port? Least favorite?

Not Jetpuffed but on the July 12 Baltic:

We docked at Langelinie in Copenhagen.

We used Credit cards w/o pin or chip and never had a problem. We just told the vendor.

We went to the ship on our own at about noon with very little line to check in. I don't know about O's transfer times. Another guest told us he was there at about 1:30 and waited 45 min. But that by 2:30 the line had become very small.

Yes there was a shuttle in Riga. However as we walked I noticed on the map that at times we were quite a bit closer to the ship than the shuttle pick up point. The Palace and Castle were very close to where we docked.

I don't know that I had a favorite port. I really enjoyed them all. (Meg says maybe Stockholm. We spent 4 days there pre cruise)

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I don't need a shuttle, but my husband might appreciate one, depending upon where it takes you, as he will probably be tired after playing golf in Visby the day before (maybe, anyway!). Do you remember the general location for where the shuttle dropped you off?

As to messing up staterooms/suites, ffnole, my husband once found a little surprise way back in the back of the triangular area where you put clothes, knicknacks, etc. It was a cute little manicure set in a case. We waffled on what to do with it and finally just kept it, although I suppose we could have asked the staff to see if it belonged to the previous occupants.

Thanks, Steve. I don't need a shuttle, but my husband might appreciate one, depending upon where it takes you, as he will probably be tired after playing golf in Visby the day before (maybe, anyway!). Do you remember the general location for where the shuttle dropped you off?

In Riga the shuttle dropped us off by a square not far from the house of Blackheads which is also near the Church of St. Peter. As I remember there was what appeared to be a communist era statue in the square where we were dropped off.

In Riga the shuttle dropped us off by a square not far from the house of Blackheads which is also near the Church of St. Peter. As I remember there was what appeared to be a communist era statue in the square where we were dropped off.

Thank you. I know where the House of Blackheads is, and St. Peter (very convenient location for seeing much of Old Town), so that's very helpful.

Hi, well I'm new to this, both cruising and writing up, but felt I had to say I agreed with virtually everything Sacarr wrote. The Marina was a fantastic ship (our first cruise, by the way), with wonderful food and a great crew.

The only point I would have to disagree about was the entertainment. We both thought Bill entertained and educated all those present, with nice stories about instruments and jazz, and his singing, whilst admittedly not of Satchmo standard, added to, and enhanced, the whole experience.

As for Sally, Sacarr is right, she has a great voice and we thought she used it to great effect in both shows, whether singing Lloyd Webber classics, or her wryly amusing parodies.

I've seen a lot worse than either Sally or Bill on professional stages, and would be very happy to know they would be on my next cruise. Now all we need to do is choose which one.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done the itinerary through the Kiel canal? Oceania offers that option with thier smaller ships, you skip Oslo. As an engineer i find the canal interesting, looking for for advice. plan to pick which Baltic cruise soon. thanks

Has anyone done the itinerary through the Kiel canal? Oceania offers that option with thier smaller ships, you skip Oslo. As an engineer i find the canal interesting, looking for for advice. plan to pick which Baltic cruise soon. thanks

We have been through the Kiel canal

A nice relaxing day onboard ;)

Lyn

Thanks Lyn, how about the scenery? What did you think of the lock?

The scenery was relaxing ..we watched some bicyclists follow the ship most of the trip

Lock??

If you want to see a spectacular lock look at the Peterborough Lift lock ;)

th?id=I.4824086529902479&pid=15.1

Archived