Huge Rock Wall Between Tobacco Bay and St Georges?

jdarch

Maybe the ruins of the old Club Med that was torn down?

Nope, not much of anything left at the old Club Med.

I think what Jdarch is talking about is almost right across from the unfinished church. Perhaps 32N64W, Sousak, or JollyJones will answer. Somewhere in the deep resesses of my mind is something but I can't seem to access it.:o

Maybe the ruins of the old Club Med that was torn down?

This site is closer to St George's and just before you crest the hill above the Unfinished Church. Thanks everybody.

I believe it's the Gunpowder Cavern. Had housed gunpowder for the British Garrison. There was a famous plot where Bermudian sympathizers to the American Revolution stole gunpowder and rolled it down the hill to be collected by what was the beginnings of the U.S. Navy. I know in my lifetime the caverns were used at one point as a restaurant but I believe it's been closed for years.

My husband and I wondered about that spot as well. We saw it both going to and coming from Tobacco Bay and simply couldn't figure out what it was. Checked my guidebook, looked for signs...nothing.

I believe the slab is meant to capture rain water. Fresh water isa precious commodity on the island.

If you look closely at the private homes many of them have some kind of device to collect and store rain water.

What you're talking about is on the right shorty after leaving Tobacco Bay.

BermudaMom and Patter44 have answered the query.:)

I knew CC'ers would come through. Thanks for the link; I had heard about the gunpowder plot - so this is "the rest of the story". We will have to visit it next time. ;)

Thanks everybody!

Yes, I understand that's what you were referring to and why I said it was on the right shortly after leaving Tobacco Bay.:)

Wow, I don't remember seeing anything like that from the water; is it possible it was part of the hotel complex and removed?

You can easily see it when walking back from Tobacco Bay. Like I posted, it's on the right shortly after leaving TB.

You can easily see it when walking back from Tobacco Bay. Like I posted, it's on the right shortly after leaving TB.

Saw the Fort William entrance, but missed that pink thing entirely - go figure. As I posted before, that walk back was after a long day - or maybe it was that beer we had at Blackbeard's...;)

Archived