Passport required?

Thanks for clarifying.

Since this cruise embarks/disembarks at different US ports, the "closed loop" exception that allows travel with just a birth certificate and driver's license does not apply.

You need a passport book, passport card, enhanced driver's license or other WHTI document as detailed on www.getyouhome.gov.

Denise (mulady, the OP),

A route of Tampa to Boston is not closed loop and does not fall under the WHTI closed loop exception. Thus you need non-exception WHTI documentation which for most people is either a passport book or a passport card. There are some other documents (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST, EDL) that could also be used, but the passport is usually the easiest to obtain.

Completely separate from the above is the PVSA rule which prohibits transport between two US ports (Boston to Tampa) UNLESS the cruise also visits a defined Distant Foreign Port. Aruba is a defined Distant Foreign Port, thus this cruise does not violate the PVSA, but that has nothing to do with the proper travel documents that a passenger is required to have to travel on this non closed loop itinerary.

Two separate regulations, two separate solutions.

I think the conversation above eventually meandered its way to the same conclusion, but I thought it might be appropriate to put a short summary in one single post.

I thank everyone for weighing in on this issue....

I think there are so may different opinions here because nothing really clarifies what open loop US cruises require for identification because it can depend on what countries you visit in between and the agent's interpretation of the restrictions.

I did call another RCCL agent and she pretty much said the same as the first agent I spoke to.....that a passport is not required for boarding the ship, OR any of the ports it stops at on this particular repo. She even confirmed it with her supervisor.

Then, I called the passport agency again and this time got to speak with someone about it. She was unsure and had to ask a supervisor as well. She said that it depends on the cruiseline and the port agency, but a passport is not required to board the ship. She said she highly recommends the passport card for sea travel. Actually, by the end of our conversation she went around in circles, so I am not really sure what the real bottom line was. :confused: And, I am not sure I got a definative answer from either source that I am comfortable with.

In the end, I cannot get credible documented proof from a credible representative, to my satisfaction. These agents I spoke with are not going to be accountable if the passengers are denied boarding and the ship sails without them.

And thanks for not lecturing me about the need for passports. I already know. :D

I thank everyone for weighing in on this issue....

I think there are so may different opinions here because nothing really clarifies what open loop US cruises require for identification because it can depend on what countries you visit in between and the agent's interpretation of the restrictions.

I did call another RCCL agent and she pretty much said the same as the first agent I spoke to.....that a passport is not required for boarding the ship, OR any of the ports it stops at on this particular repo. She even confirmed it with her supervisor.

Then, I called the passport agency again and this time got to speak with someone about it. She was unsure and had to ask a supervisor as well. She said that it depends on the cruiseline and the port agency, but a passport is not required to board the ship. She said she highly recommends the passport card for sea travel. Actually, by the end of our conversation she went around in circles, so I am not really sure what the real bottom line was. :confused: And, I am not sure I got a definative answer from either source that I am comfortable with.

In the end, I cannot get credible documented proof from a credible representative, to my satisfaction. These agents I spoke with are not going to be accountable if the passengers are denied boarding and the ship sails without them.

And thanks for not lecturing me about the need for passports. I already know. :D

They are correct, a passport is not required by the US government, for you to BOARD A CRUISE SHIP, it can, however, be required for you to disembark the ship and RE-ENTER the US.

They are correct, a passport is not required by the US government, for you to BOARD A CRUISE SHIP, it can, however, be required for you to disembark the ship and RE-ENTER the US.

Not correct.

A Whti document (eg passport) will be required by the cruise line to board, in anticipation of it being required by the govt to renter the US. The cruise line can be heavily fined otherwise.

Not correct.

A Whti document (eg passport) will be required by the cruise line to board, in anticipation of it being required by the govt to renter the US. The cruise line can be heavily fined otherwise.

Correct, the cruise line may require it, the US government doesn't, they just require you to have it when you re-enter the US. They OP has been talking to government departments and they have told her THEY do not require you to have a passport when boarding a ship.

Anyone know the answer to this: If I enter the USA after a transatlantic cruise with a US passport and the passport expires 4 months later will I have a problem even though I live in the States?

You will be fine re-entering the US, but you may have problems entering the country where the TA starts

We are getting ready to renew our passports. Trying to decide if we should pay the additional $12.72 each for overnight delivery of the new ones back to us.

I don't remember if we did that last time or not. We are renewing later this month and will need them by 11/11/12.

Opinions?? Thanks

We are getting ready to renew our passports. Trying to decide if we should pay the additional $12.72 each for overnight delivery of the new ones back to us.

I don't remember if we did that last time or not. We are renewing later this month and will need them by 11/11/12.

Opinions?? Thanks

It really depends upon how much later this month. Chances are, you will receive your new passport within about 3 weeks using normal channels. That is what happened for my DW and DD (I've always been abroad when new passport time came in the past so different rules applied for me), and also seems to be the norm reading the boards. However, the government only promises 4-6 weeks. Should still be enough time, but you will get anxious if it's closer to the 6 weeks mark.

Good luck

It really depends upon how much later this month. Chances are, you will receive your new passport within about 3 weeks using normal channels. That is what happened for my DW and DD (I've always been abroad when new passport time came in the past so different rules applied for me), and also seems to be the norm reading the boards. However, the government only promises 4-6 weeks. Should still be enough time, but you will get anxious if it's closer to the 6 weeks mark.

Good luck

Thanks I am thinking the week of August 20th (only because if the price drops on the Monarch for 8/24 we are planning of doing a last minuted cruise) That still leaves 10 weeks until our November cruise to get it back

Correct, the cruise line may require it, the US government doesn't, they just require you to have it when you re-enter the US. They OP has been talking to government departments and they have told her THEY do not require you to have a passport when boarding a ship.

The cruise line requires a WHTI document at boarding b/c the government requires them to require it. Semantics, really. Bottom line, the people the OP spoke to at RCCL did not give her a correct picture of documentation required. Maybe they were confused b/c this is a repo cruise which has different rules from most cruises, which are closed-loop.

You will be fine re-entering the US, but you may have problems entering the country where the TA starts

If you have documentation that confirms the your cruise departs shortly, officials shouldn't have a problem. The typical six month requirement set by other countries is usually established to prevent visitors from overstaying their welcome.:)

Opinions?? Thanks

You should be fine. On the other hand $12.72 is pretty cheap peace of mind.

Opinions?? Thanks

I know its only $12.72 each but I say don't waste your money. They are returned Priority mail and that only takes 2 or 3 days and at this point you have plenty of time. I just renewed and it took less then 3 weeks door to door.

I am sorry if you have received bad information from 2 reps, but here is a link on the Royal Caribbean website that specifically spells out the travel documentation requirements. It is not ambiguous if it does not return to the same port US port it starts in you will need a passport.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do

Archived