Proper dress for churches in Old Town

cruisingnana

If you are talking Catholic churches, the world has changed! Now you can wear anything and they won't throw you out! I believe they are just glad you came! You should see what they wear in church on Sunday! :eek: I can still remember when we had to cover our heads in the US! And I'm not THAT old! :rolleyes: Hmmm . . . the Vatican may still have some rules tho. ;)

• 1 month later...

Shorts are definitely fine. Not sure when you will be in Cartagena, but it gets very hot and humid there so cool, comfortable clothes are a must. We did a walking tour of the old town which included spending time in the Iglesia de San Pedro Claver Church. There was a service going on while we were there and there were no issues with anyone's manner of dress. Go and enjoy. Cartagena is a wonderful, fascinating city!

Most women in Mexico and Central America do not wear shorts as daytime attire in the city. Shorts are saved for the beach.. We will be visiting Cartagena in October and expect this South American port city to be similar. That said, you will most likely not be denied entrance to a church. Your host country will want you to be a happy tourist and will not confront you on your attire. However, take a look around you at what the well dressed locals are wearing. I don't wear shorts when I travel to downtown areas of the large cities near my home, so I don't wear them in the downtown cities of other countries.

The local women in Cartagena wore dresses, skirts and some young ones wore pants so tight that I don't know how they ever got into them, shoehorn early in the morning before breakfast? They were young but not skinny.

Personally, I like loose cotton or linen clothing which covers shoulders and knees in hot climate cities and when I know that we will be visiting churches.

• 1 month later...
Shorts are ok in Mexico and Central America for a visit to a church. If you go for Mass, I would wear capris and a shirt with sleeves.

I wanted to go in a church in Puerto Vallarta with shorts and couldn't. There was a sign at the entrance that said NO SHORTS or TANK TOPS.

Archived