Men - shorts or trousers for dinner

Thomson dresscode Jim is no jeans I believe they should stick to it as I feel all part of the cruise is dressing for dinner, no T shirts either open neck shirts only....some people really do dress down for dinner and it looks very inappropriate so, dont like to disagree with Jim, but does not get my vote on this one sorry. :(

Thomson dresscode Jim is no jeans I believe they should stick to it as I feel all part of the cruise is dressing for dinner, no T shirts either open neck shirts only....some people really do dress down for dinner and it looks very inappropriate so, dont like to disagree with Jim, but does not get my vote on this one sorry. :(

Hi deepsix. I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Can you show me where it says that the Thomson dress code is no t-shirts or jeans? I agree with Jim in that smart jeans are fine, and certainly look better than a tatty old shirt and cardigan which is what some people wear.

Thomsons Dress code ...

Dress code Back to top

No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening. Except for formal night, the dress code is smart casual, which means full length trousers and an open-necked shirt/polo shirt for men and equivalent attire (e.g. casual separates or dresses) for ladies. There is one formal night on each seven night cruise – normally the Captain's Cocktail Party. It's a great opportunity to put on your glad-rags and enjoy a gala evening. A dinner jacket or tuxedo is the norm for men but otherwise a suit and tie is fine. Ladies should be elegantly dressed - a cocktail or evening dress would fit right in. The self-service restaurant is open as normal on gala night for guests who prefer something a bit more casual. The formal dining rooms in most hotels and apartments require gentlemen to wear shoes and long trousers for dinner.

Thomsons Dress code ...

Dress code Back to top

No dress code applies on Island Escape and there is no formal night. On all other ships, a dress code applies during the evening. Except for formal night, the dress code is smart casual, which means full length trousers and an open-necked shirt/polo shirt for men and equivalent attire (e.g. casual separates or dresses) for ladies. There is one formal night on each seven night cruise – normally the Captain's Cocktail Party. It's a great opportunity to put on your glad-rags and enjoy a gala evening. A dinner jacket or tuxedo is the norm for men but otherwise a suit and tie is fine. Ladies should be elegantly dressed - a cocktail or evening dress would fit right in. The self-service restaurant is open as normal on gala night for guests who prefer something a bit more casual. The formal dining rooms in most hotels and apartments require gentlemen to wear shoes and long trousers for dinner.

But that doesn't say no jeans or t-shirts does it? Jeans are trousers, and a t-shirt is an open necked shirt. I think the main thing to take from it is smart casual. Smart jeans are fine, especially if coloured.

But that doesn't say no jeans or t-shirts does it? Jeans are trousers, and a t-shirt is an open necked shirt. I think the main thing to take from it is smart casual. Smart jeans are fine, especially if coloured.

I was not saying one way or the other Grez, just simply putting what Thomson say ,not what I think :)

I have worn a smart pair of dark jeans but with a short sleeve shirt and they must have thought it ok .

I wore a dark suit for the formal night .

A bit of common dress/sense and I do not think you would have any probs .

Now turning up in slashed jeans and a t shirt with some daft slogan over it with a pair of boots could possibly get you shown to the door .:D

and a t-shirt is an open necked shirt

I would have thought an open necked shirt refers to shirts with collar and the top button unfastened ?

You can't open a t-shirt at the neck unless with a pair of scissors.

Polo shirts have a collar, therefore, (I assume), they are also a variation on the open necked shirt when said button is not done up.

deepsix

I am only pointing out what I have witnessed on a number of Dream cruises and no problems with you disagreeing with me its all about opinions ;)

I agree with Jim in that smart jeans are fine, and certainly look better than a tatty old shirt and cardigan which is what some people wear.

Agree Grez

I have worn a smart pair of dark jeans but with a short sleeve shirt and they must have thought it ok .

Similar Kalos.I have worn jeans that look like trousers or is that trousers that look like jeans

Trousers are not jeans, they are trousers. Cruise lines have had a trouser and shirt dress code from the beginning and it never included jeans. As I've said previously we live in a changing world and people want to dress in a more casual manner. I can live with that but lets at least be honest in calling a spade a spade.

Trousers are not jeans, they are trousers. Cruise lines have had a trouser and shirt dress code from the beginning and it never included jeans. As I've said previously we live in a changing world and people want to dress in a more casual manner. I can live with that but lets at least be honest in calling a spade a spade.

reminds me ,must take two old shovels to the skip tomorrow

Stvevie :rolleyes:

I think whether the children can get away with shorts probably depends on their age. A 3 year old would probably be OK whereas a 13 year old wouldn't. If they possess a pair of trousers, I should bring them! They will probably enjoy the whole 'getting dressed up for the evening' thing, if you put it in an exciting sort of way....

Been on Celebration twice and never saw any jeans in the dining room in the evenings. But you could probably get in if they are dark and smart.

Not all trousers are jeans, but all jeans are trousers.

Surely this goes back to many previous posts - most passengers are happy with the dress code, remembering that when you book you know the rules in the first place, if you want to wear jeans don't expect to dine in the formal restaurant - use the buffet. Other passengers who are happy with the rules do not want to share a table with someone wearing jeans and tee-shirt, this is not snobbery, just that the majority of people like to dress up a bit for dinner - nothing at all wrong with that.

Surely this goes back to many previous posts - most passengers are happy with the dress code, remembering that when you book you know the rules in the first place, if you want to wear jeans don't expect to dine in the formal restaurant - use the buffet. Other passengers who are happy with the rules do not want to share a table with someone wearing jeans and tee-shirt, this is not snobbery, just that the majority of people like to dress up a bit for dinner - nothing at all wrong with that.[/quote

I fail to see where it actually states no Jeans, these after all are not shorts so should they not be classed as trousers? I have seen businessmen wearing Jeans with shirt & Tie with a Jacket

Why would you not want to share a table with someonene who wears Jeans...what do you think they are going to do to you?

Do you think that wearing a different material of trousers makes you a better

Person? Surely personality speaks volumes:confused:

Surely this goes back to many previous posts - most passengers are happy with the dress code, remembering that when you book you know the rules in the first place, if you want to wear jeans don't expect to dine in the formal restaurant - use the buffet. Other passengers who are happy with the rules do not want to share a table with someone wearing jeans and tee-shirt, this is not snobbery, just that the majority of people like to dress up a bit for dinner - nothing at all wrong with that.[/quote

I fail to see where it actually states no Jeans, these after all are not shorts so should they not be classed as trousers? I have seen businessmen wearing Jeans with shirt & Tie with a Jacket

Why would you not want to share a table with someonene who wears Jeans...what do you think they are going to do to you?

Do you think that wearing a different material of trousers makes you a better

Person? Surely personality speaks volumes:confused:

I think its well documented in older posts that the MDR speaks volumes as well at how many people are told "go and change your clothes":(

As I have said ..I wore jeans,Jim the scot has wore jeans with a tie and a Jacket and others will have done also.

Good Girl goes to sea asked

"Are smart jeans and shirt ok for my husband in the restaurant? This is what he would wear to dinner in the uk.

He's just not a chino kind of guy, and I don't want him to have to wear his work trousers all week.

Also do you think the kids can wear shorts and polo shirts in the restaurants? "

To answer this I would say yes if they are very smart and look like trousers but if you are asking me are all jeans ok then then the answer is no they are not . I think to be fair to Ormy he /she means someone in Jeans that are like the sort you would work in or use for casual wear .Ormy has put effort into getting ready for a meal in surroundings they booked and expected and not someone in combat pants or trackie bottoms either with a basic T shirt, sure the guy maybe the nicest person you could wish to be seated with but that is not the point is it ?

I personally hate dressing up all the time so I would use the Lido self serv ,which was no big deal to me.

I note it does not say Jeans but it does not say Trackie bottoms ,Combat pants ,mens leggins ...the list is endless of what it does not say but what it does say is for you to wear trousers .

So apart from my jeans that look like trousers ,which they are not, I do follow and respect the dress code and abide by it in the spirit

in which it was written .:)

The alternative would be to book and go with NCL , they have a wear what you want ,eat what you want at a time you want policy ,

so I understand .:cool::D

As for myself I would hate to be amongst everyone togged and dolled up to the nines and me dressed like something out of the

Kev N Perry film .:eek:

In reply to Wddeni - I think you are missing the whole point of the matter, most Cruise Lines do not allow jeans for dinner in the main restaurant, its irrelevant that you have seen businessmen in jeans - if you are not happy to dress for dinner as most people are fully prepared to do, just don't go on cruises and personality really does not come into the argument at all.

I think its well documented in older posts that the MDR speaks volumes as well at how many people are told "go and change your clothes":(

As I have said ..I wore jeans,Jim the scot has wore jeans with a tie and a Jacket and others will have done also.

Good Girl goes to sea asked

"Are smart jeans and shirt ok for my husband in the restaurant? This is what he would wear to dinner in the uk.

He's just not a chino kind of guy, and I don't want him to have to wear his work trousers all week.

Also do you think the kids can wear shorts and polo shirts in the restaurants? "

To answer this I would say yes if they are very smart and look like trousers but if you are asking me are all jeans ok then then the answer is no they are not . I think to be fair to Ormy he /she means someone in Jeans that are like the sort you would work in or use for casual wear .Ormy has put effort into getting ready for a meal in surroundings they booked and expected and not someone in combat pants or trackie bottoms either with a basic T shirt, sure the guy maybe the nicest person you could wish to be seated with but that is not the point is it ?

I personally hate dressing up all the time so I would use the Lido self serv ,which was no big deal to me.

I note it does not say Jeans but it does not say Trackie bottoms ,Combat pants ,mens leggins ...the list is endless of what it does not say but what it does say is for you to wear trousers .

So apart from my jeans that look like trousers ,which they are not, I do follow and respect the dress code and abide by it in the spirit

in which it was written .:)

The alternative would be to book and go with NCL , they have a wear what you want ,eat what you want at a time you want policy ,

so I understand .:cool::D

As for myself I would hate to be amongst everyone togged and dolled up to the nines and me dressed like something out of the

Kev N Perry film .:eek:

Ormy does not say what type of Jeans they are referring too, It just read to me like you are in a different class if you choose to wear Jeans to Dine, Some people may think that they are dressed up when wearing combats etc and may be totally offended if told otherwise, Kevin n Perry sound good to me:D

WOW.

Been away for a week and didn't realise this post would still be going !!

As to regards my original question that was answered perfectly by Kruzseeka.

Come on! When was it acceptable to wear shorts for dinner? Get real, shorts are not acceptable for dining in a restaurant, it's called respect for your fellow diners!

And comments like the above are not helpful.

When you are going on your first cruise and have no idea on protocol having this forum to answer any queries is ideal.

My husband would wear shorts out to dinner to certain places but not all restaurants, so asking the question was relevant as to know how many pairs of trousers he would need to take.

Because that now means less room for my endless changes of clothes I need :D

And as always I expected Jim the scot and stevedeccaman to add their funny comments about men and women with hairy legs:D:D

So again thanks for the informative answer Kruzseeka

WOW.

Been away for a week and didn't realise this post would still be going !!

As to regards my original question that was answered perfectly by Kruzseeka.

And comments like the above are not helpful.

When you are going on your first cruise and have no idea on protocol having this forum to answer any queries is ideal.

My husband would wear shorts out to dinner to certain places but not all restaurants, so asking the question was relevant as to know how many pairs of trousers he would need to take.

Because that now means less room for my endless changes of clothes I need :D

And as always I expected Jim the scot and stevedeccaman to add their funny comments about men and women with hairy legs:D

So again thanks for the informative answer Kruzseeka

Thanks Runfold. You are very welcome. :) This is usually a really helpful and supportive Forum (and some light touches and welcome good natured humour too! ;) ) so please don't be put off by contributions which are not as generous of spirit as they might be.

Of course there are many shades of opinion and it is important that they are expressed as it paints a fuller picture and helps fellow cruisers (especially first timers) to get a feel for what to expect and plan appropriately. But as is often the case, it's not what is said but how it is said which can change the normal exchange of ideas, tips and info into something which is less than helpful and sometimes downright unpleasant and unnecessary.

So look forward to your forthcoming cruise - you will find the atmosphere on board as welcoming and friendly as this forum usually is and if you have any questions don't be put off from asking. Most of us on here just love cruising so much and like to pass on our good experiences and tips to others. And of course, in addition we learn a lot from reading others' contributions.

You mentioned you are a first time cruiser - if you haven't already found threads on your chosen itinerary or Jan's thread on the 5-things you wish you'd known on your first cruise, we'll try to find it for you - there are lots of helpful hints on there. (I might need Jan to find it though - I always have to try so many combinations of search words in the search box as I can never remember the proper thread title!! :o ).

Enjoy the anticipation and planning. :)

Hi Kruzseeka, I was just going to say how lovely and polite you are to everyone, then I just saw your reply to Ponciau:eek::D Well said.

Anyway, my take on the trousers/jeans thing is a bit more like shot2bits. I know the OP is a first timer, as we all were once, but I don't think I would ever have asked such a question. In fact I think lots people's impression of cruising, before they actually go on one, is that they would have to dress formally every night a la Cunard etc. :eek:

As you say, different people have different ideas about dress, so best to choose a cruiseline to suit before booking. I, personally, wouldn't book Cunard, Silverseas etc for that reason, but also don't fancy NCL as too informal. I think Thomson, Fred and P&O are probably about right.

My OH & I always have a shower and change for dinner on holiday- cruise or hotel (not at home though:D) but obviously some people don't, as you see them wearing the same clothes, day and night :eek: On one hotel holiday in Spain one of the guests wore his Wolves FC shirt all week:( Of course he may have had more than one!!

I love jeans, wear them most of the time at home, but surely people have smart trousers in their wardrobes. Would they go to a smart restaurant or a wedding for instance in jeans? I don't think so!

Anyway, I have had my say, so back to the Olympics. What are we going to do with ourselves next week??

I always find it amazing that people try to complicate things.

We are all adults and know.

Trousers are trousers

Jeans are jeans

Formal shirts are formal shirts

Polo shirts are polo shirts

Tea shirts are tea shirts

If a cruise line states shirt and trousers just wear a shirt and a pair of trousers. If you dont want to wear them use the buffet, what's difficult about that ?

Trouble is people want to twist the wording to suit what they want to wear.

And for god sake I cring every time someone states it's a class/ snobbery thing.

IT'S NOT

Long trousers for the main dining room - shorts are ok for the Lido (self-service). Shorts are permitted in the main dining room at breakfast and lunchtimes though.

Hi Kruzseeka, I was just going to say how lovely and polite you are to everyone, then I just saw your reply to Ponciau:eek::D Well said.

I, personally, wouldn't book Cunard, Silverseas etc for that reason, but also don't fancy NCL as too informal. I think Thomson, Fred and P&O are probably about right.

I love jeans, wear them most of the time at home, but surely people have smart trousers in their wardrobes. Would they go to a smart restaurant or a wedding for instance in jeans? I don't think so!

I think we all know all of the above to be correct , so now that would just leave the child wear .

Kids that dress smart and in shorts seem to have no problems getting in the MDRoom's ,

so if your a smart dressed young looking chappie like StevieDeccaman you may just get away with a pair of smart shorts ... :D:D;)

fashionpolice.jpg

Archived