Onboard Problem Solving Possibility

I don't mean to start another thread on onboard issues with "rulebreaking" cruisers, but I'm going to anyway. :D Unruly kids, chair hogs etc., have been discussed recently and I had a thought. If you go to sporting events, there is usually a sign that says, Having a problem with another in your section, text your section, row, seat and problem to a certain # and someone will be around to take care of it?" Or something to that effect. If that doesn't already exist on cruise ships, why not start something similar? Have the ability to text or call security if a problem seems great enough to you. I realize that texting and using your cell phone on board costs a good bit of money, but that would cause people to decide if the problem is great enough to spend a few extra dollars on it. I dunno. Just a thought. Discuss, add and subtract ideas if you like.

Nice idea at a stadium or the like. I have never seen that but will watch for it in the future. As far as on-board though.... We don't carry our phones around while on board. I think this is true for most people so I don't see that being a good option.

It's a good idea on land, but I don't think that most people would carry their phones around for that purpose - I seldom carry mine. House phones can be found in any of the lounges, shops and restaurants, and by the stairs/elevators on most floors. Also at Guest Services. Probably other places around the ship as well.

And part of the problem is that security often witnesses issues and does nothing about it (or so I've read on CC).

I have never needed to use one, so I can't recall ever seeing a house phone. How hard is it to find one when you need it, and where are they located (just in case)?

I was wondering the same thing. And, what is security's phone #?

We tried to call security about children in the adult pool on a Princess ship. The front desk just put us on hold forever. We asked bar staff to please call security on our behalf, and they refused.

I have never needed to use one, so I can't recall ever seeing a house phone. How hard is it to find one when you need it, and where are they located (just in case)?

House phones are easy to find. Often around theater, in bathrooms (often near the handicapped stall:) ), every so often on promenade deck and I would think at every bar/shop/elevator etc. I also know that on Princess at least there are often security guys in "civies" mixing around. Also any employee should be able to help you find a phone.

I often use the phones to call the room to ask DH to bring me a sweater etc. They are not just for emergency and if you use a "public" phone you would be unidentified -- phone in your room shows caller ID.

My Droid goes into the locked safe. No use to risk carrying it around and if it is off YOU KNOW that roaming charges or Princess charges can not get on your phone by accident. In foreign ports your phone won't work unless you have expensive plan or have a sim card. Get it taken care of before you leave home (we had to go to Verizon store). My Android lost contact within 2 miles of the Canadian border last week crossing over at International Falls. Couldn't believe it as I was using phone for GPS:eek:

Carnival is about to do something about chair hogs. Starting on the Breeze, stickers are going to be put on vacant pool chaises. If the person is not back in 40 minutes, their stuff will be removed from the chaise. If this works out, it will be done on all their ships. This was on the 'news' here.

You can pretty much count on the problem being solved issue by issue. It may depend on the security staff available and if they get the message to the area before it resolves itself. There are house phones everywhere, you just have to look for them.

The problems you mention as being recently discussed have been discussed here since I joined CC in 2000. Join date listed is 2002, but I re-registered.

It's just a couple of the hot button issues that are always around. People have their own agenda and it depends on where you are in life and what your priorities are. It will always amaze me that people justify rude behavior, but it's pretty wide spread. It would be lovely if people were more considerate and treated others how they would like to be treated themselves.

I'm trying to think of an incident on my 5 cruises where security needed to be called, and can only think of one. It was two ladies (50+ years old) practically sitting on each other, arguing about whose rear end was taking up the most space on the bench in a bar. I'm not saying that security isn't needed and that these things don't happen, I just don't think it's a huge problem.

It is not only a matter of reporting unruly children or chair hogs. On almost every cruise, there will be someone who becomes ill or is injured, or starts choking. The nearest house phone can be used to call for help, or even just to report something you see that spilled or broke, or requires service, whatever the reason.

House phones are usually located by the elevator banks and in or near the public venues and in the hallways on the decks of passenger cabins.

People who get locked out of their cabins use them to call for someone to let them in.

The guest relations staff is accustomed to receiving calls from anywhere on the ship asking questions about almost anything, such as from someone who is waiting at a place where some scheduled activity is supposed to be starting and is wondering why nobody else is there.

But most likely on a daily basis, passengers use the house phones simply to leave messages for one another. That is the way we ourselves use them most often.

Archived