For adult traveling with child

stoneharborlady

My TA just told me a special form is no longer needed for one parent or grandparent traveling with a child. It seems not too long a go one had to have a notary witness the other parent signing this form. Hope she is right about that, but I did look on the Princess website to download the form, and could not find it.

My TA just told me a special form is no longer needed for one parent or grandparent traveling with a child. It seems not too long a go one had to have a notary witness the other parent signing this form. Hope she is right about that, but I did look on the Princess website to download the form, and could not find it.

Your TA either misspoke or isn't very competent. US Customs and Border Protection STRONGLY recommends that you always have that letter (it doesn't need to be notarized). It's not a requirement of the cruise line but of the countries that you might visit. Some countries, like Canada and Mexico, are very strict about it - you will definitely be denied boarding if you don't have the letter. Other countries may not require such letter outright, but if they happen to ask for it, and you don't have it - you'll be waiving the ship good-bye from the peer.

I have travelled twice in the last two years with grandchildren. Both trips were leaving Canada for the US and of course returning to Canada. The notarized letter was requested by both US and Canadian customs.

I would not leave without it.

I cruised with my 8 year old Grandson in May. I had a notorized letter from his parents with me, but was never asked by anyone, including border and customs to see it.

I do think for security reasons that his documents should have been checked. But they were not.

i took my daughter and grandkids on a coastal. her husband had to work, so he got a notarized letter saying she could take the kids to the states. she was asked for it when we came back into canada. i thought that was silly-they were coming home!

when my kids were teens, i got a notarized letter from my ex-husband saying i could take them. no one ever asked for it, but they did ask the kids themselves where they were going and how long etc.

i'm glad you are going to get a letter just in case. i worry about a ta that would give you that advice though. i'd want to know where she found that information.

Urban legend.

For a cruise there is not any particular form needed to be signed.

Just proper identification.

A notarized note is useless to the Authorties.

If you feel better, get it.

CC is full of bad tech.

if you are taking a minor child out of the country (or back in) you need the parent/guardian's consent.

if you are taking a minor child out of the country (or back in) you need the parent/guardian's consent.

Yes!... I took my children on a cruise a few years back when they were minors and I HAD to have a notarized letter from my ex-wife stating that she gave her consent because we had joint custody. I HAD to show the letter when we checked in because she was not traveling with us...

Maybe the rules have changed, but better safe than sorry...

Since I have personally seen passengers refused boarding for not having it within the past year, I feel comfortable saying that for the cost of a notary stamp (about $3 around here), it's something everyone should carry.

The number of issues that could arise is legion, questions about legal custody, child trafficking, the form also serves as authorization for medical care if needed.

There are probably some routes where its not technically required, but in my book far better to have and not need then need and not have.

BTW, if you are denied boarding or porting for not having it? Most travel insurance plans won't cover you.

I am travelling with a group of Girl Scouts from Seattle to Alaska - all the parents had to sign a letter and have it notarized that the girls are ok to travel with us. I went to the local branch of my bank for the form for my daughter (since my husband is not going with us) and they notarized our letter for free :)

We have sailed 13 cruises with our granddaughter and have always had both parents sign form we made up alog with medical info and notary seal. Have never been asked by Princess or Disney for this but always felt better having it just in case. Especially medical info and consent to treat.

The OP is not sailing from a country other than the US, are they?

?

I have the sigs. turned off.

Bring the custody papers.

The have more weight than a self printed form.[/QUO

Traveling to Eastern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale, Princess Cays, St. Maarten and St. Thomas with two daughters, four grandchildren. The kids Dads will not be sailing with us. One is married to the Dad, the other in process of divorce, but has full custody.

Karen

Better safe than sorry.

On our Alaska cruise, the only time I was asked for the letter (traveling alone with my 9-yo son) was when we took a bus tour into Canada from Skagway. The bus driver made sure everyone had passports, and made sure that I had a letter. When the Canadian official boarded the bus when we crossed the border, I had the letter on my lap and he just glanced at it.

Princess never asked to see the letter or even asked if I had one.

I didn't use a form, just wrote up a letter and had my ex sign w/ notarization.

I always have a letter from signed by BOTH parents when taking grandkids on cruises. I also make sure I have permission to make medical decisions for the grandkids in the same letter and have the whole thing notarized. Better safe than sorry.

Archived