Why no Quebec

Shogun

Hi All

I often see Princess small print saying applies to US UK Aus Canada (but not Quebec))

so question is what has Quebec done to get excluded so often

yours Shogun

Quebec isn't a country . It's a province (equivalent a state ) of Canada.

Many people (including some residents of Quebec ) think it's a country.

Quebec isn't a country . It's a province (equivalent a state ) of Canada.

Many people (including some residents of Quebec ) think it's a country.

I think that's the question. Why do some promotions apply to every province but Quebec?

Quebec has very stringent rules and regulations that apply to contests, sweepstakes, etc. It places such a burden on companies that they would rather just exclude Quebec from participating. Same is true for a handful of states in the U.S. (don't remember exactly which ones)

I think that's the question. Why do some promotions apply to every province but Quebec?
If you're talking about sweepstakes or contest promotions, there's an easy answer. Quebec requires that all promotional materials be in both English and French (which can wind up being expensive to translate.) They also require a representative or corporate presence in Quebec. And finally, if anyone is selected as a winner, they must answer a mathematical problem correctly (have no idea why this is as it's not rational to me.) Promotions must be registered with the Province of Quebec which includes a fee. Add these up and it's not worth the time, effort and cost to run a promotion in Quebec.

Quebec has very stringent rules and regulations that apply to contests, sweepstakes, etc. It places such a burden on companies that they would rather just exclude Quebec from participating. Same is true for a handful of states in the U.S. (don't remember exactly which ones)
New York and Florida require a bond for the total retail value of all prizes. You have to register the promotion with these states and pay a fee. Puerto Rico has other requirements. Rhode Island does, too, although I think it depends on the type or value of the promotion. I've been retired for a number of years so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

I have only seen a few promotions not valid in Quebec. They have some travel regulations that make specials difficult to do . In Quebec all companies that sell travel even if not in Quebec have to pay a percentage to an insurance plan. Other parts of canada (not all ) only TA registered in that province have pay the insurance.

If you have an example it might be easier to explain.

If you're talking about sweepstakes or contest promotions, there's an easy answer. Quebec requires that all promotional materials be in both English and French (which can wind up being expensive to translate.) They also require a representative or corporate presence in Quebec. And finally, if anyone is selected as a winner, they must answer a mathematical problem correctly (have no idea why this is as it's not rational to me.) Promotions must be registered with the Province of Quebec which includes a fee. Add these up and it's not worth the time, effort and cost to run a promotion in Quebec.

While it is true that dealings with Quebec can be difficult, I have to admit that as an English speaking Canadian, when visiting Quebec, I felt safer than in any other place that I have visited, [excepting for the UK]. Also the people were very very friendly.

john

ALL rules and regulations in Quebec have to be in French, English is optional.

Between the language laws and gaming laws it is not worth it for a lot of companies to include Quebec in their contests. sigh....just think of all the things I could have won:D

Jo

ALL rules and regulations in Quebec have to be in French, English is optional.

Between the language laws and gaming laws it is not worth it for a lot of companies to include Quebec in their contests. sigh....just think of all the things I could have won:D

Jo

Doesn't Canada have a strange law that there must be a "test" to enter a contest such as 2+2=4 or something. I remember reading that a lot of Canadians were upset that they weren't included and it was due to this (maybe this is what you are referring to as gaming laws). I forgot about the French language. That makes a ton of sense.

Doesn't Canada have a strange law that there must be a "test" to enter a contest such as 2+2=4 or something. I remember reading that a lot of Canadians were upset that they weren't included and it was due to this (maybe this is what you are referring to as gaming laws). I forgot about the French language. That makes a ton of sense.
Yes, as I mentioned above, it's a mathematical test and has to be harder than 2+2=4. :) We used a 7th grade algebra problem. Having a rep or corporate presence is also a big deterrent. It's all part of the process of registering a promotion in Quebec. We had to hire a lawyer to represent the company doing the promotion because they didn't have an office in Quebec. One big issue with the two languages beyond the translation is that unless the promotion is online, space can be very limited in ads or printed promo materials.

Yes, as I mentioned above, it's a mathematical test and has to be harder than 2+2=4. :) We used a 7th grade algebra problem. Having a rep or corporate presence is also a big deterrent. It's all part of the process of registering a promotion in Quebec. We had to hire a lawyer to represent the company doing the promotion because they didn't have an office in Quebec. One big issue with the two languages beyond the translation is that unless the promotion is online, space can be very limited in ads or printed promo materials.

Interesting - thanks! Sorry I missed your post earlier.

I am going to stick my neck out on this one. I have a recollection from college (many years ago, but not THAT many ;)) that Quebec uses the Napoleonic Code rather than following the same laws as the rest of Canada. That's why the difference. Even in Canada we get contests that say 'void in Quebec'.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong. :o

I live in Quebec and sometimes I am disappointed that I can't enter certain contests. Some of our laws are excellent - for instance, Quebec does not allow the pay day loans people that charge such exhorbitant interest to operate here. It is against the law to have them and thank goodness for that law. There are other excellent laws for consumers but I can't think of them right now.

Archived