What do you do

Rebel54

when you are all planned out. Nothing left to plan. Your budget is done and redone, your packing list prepped, suitcases brought to the front of storage, all your odds and ends are purchased, house/dog sitter import arranged (aunt is coming to house sit/tour Hawaii while we cruise). All my reservations and confirmations are printed, sorted, tabbed and put into a nice neat folder with a basic itinerary on top. Luggage tags printed. Can't print my express docs until Sunday.

I've even started my trip report and we don't leave until the end of Sept.

I've googled, YouTubed, downloaded books and guides to my iPad....

I've changed my stateroom twice, finally arriving in 8147 (aft Starboard corner).

My husband thinks I'm nuts.

So now I'm back in here driving YOU guys nuts :)

Good thing my daughter is coming to visit in a couple weeks so I'll have her to occupy my time! The bitter sweet part is that the end of this cruise (which I booked a year ago) is the same time my son graduates from Army basic training and I can't change my dates again.

Ok...rattled on long enough. Anything else I need to do that I've forgotten?

Welcome to my world. :) "Hello, everyone. My name is Patricia, and I'm an over-planner."

How about compiling other vital documents on a flash drive? Copies of your credit cards, passports, recent medical histories, medications? A list of commonly called home telephone numbers...not just friends, but travel agent, physician, dentist, etc.? Contact numbers for your credit card company, bank, and cell phone company?

My objective is to have everything I need on a lanyard around my neck if thieves make away with my purse and contents, as well as those of my travel companions.

Or, in case of a medical emergency, to be able to tell someone during a panic the exact name and dose of high blood pressure meds my Dad takes.

Documents are stored as Word, PDF, and JPG photo of the page, just in case of computer incompatibility.

Same info is stored on the web, in case the thieves make away with the flash drive too, or it goes for an unexpected swim.

(PS: shop for recreational reading to download to the iPad? Because while I usually never get to them, I always also have half a dozen ebooks on the flash drive. It beats packing those battered paperbacks which are my standby "soothing reads in an emergency room".)

when you are all planned out. Nothing left to plan. Your budget is done and redone, your packing list prepped, suitcases brought to the front of storage, all your odds and ends are purchased, house/dog sitter import arranged (aunt is coming to house sit/tour Hawaii while we cruise). All my reservations and confirmations are printed, sorted, tabbed and put into a nice neat folder with a basic itinerary on top. Luggage tags printed. Can't print my express docs until Sunday.

I've changed my stateroom twice, finally arriving in 8147 (aft Starboard corner).

Good thing my daughter is coming to visit in a couple weeks so I'll have her to occupy my time! The bitter sweet part is that the end of this cruise (which I booked a year ago) is the same time my son graduates from Army basic training and I can't change my dates again.

I'm in the same boat as you - same cabin actually! Westerdam 8147, just a couple weeks ahead of you (Sept 1st) So I keep coming here and wandering around, reading every relevant post, posting randomly lol I also spend time on Youtube and googling Alaska, the ship, the ports, the excursions. I passed into obsessive quite awhile ago lol at this point, I almost regret not working anymore because time sure flew faster when I was busy at work lol

What do when I'm done planning? Get a few hours sleep because I'm leaving the next morning! :D

I do a lot of advance planning, but there's always something I forget until the last minute.

Put your cruise stuff aside and force yourself to think about something else for a week or two. Then go back and look it over and if you've forgotten something, you'll still have a month to sort it out.

Aloha Rebel54. Maybe take a deep breath:) Sounds like you have everything planned, so maybe you can relax and enjoy today? I admire your prior planning...we sail in a couple of weeks, and I'm way behind schedule. Bon voyage!

Aloha,

Salacia

Welcome to my world. :) "Hello, everyone. My name is Patricia, and I'm an over-planner."

How about compiling other vital documents on a flash drive? Copies of your credit cards, passports, recent medical histories, medications? A list of commonly called home telephone numbers...not just friends, but travel agent, physician, dentist, etc.? Contact numbers for your credit card company, bank, and cell phone company?

My objective is to have everything I need on a lanyard around my neck if thieves make away with my purse and contents, as well as those of my travel companions.

Or, in case of a medical emergency, to be able to tell someone during a panic the exact name and dose of high blood pressure meds my Dad takes.

Documents are stored as Word, PDF, and JPG photo of the page, just in case of computer incompatibility.

Same info is stored on the web, in case the thieves make away with the flash drive too, or it goes for an unexpected swim.

(PS: shop for recreational reading to download to the iPad? Because while I usually never get to them, I always also have half a dozen ebooks on the flash drive. It beats packing those battered paperbacks which are my standby "soothing reads in an emergency room".)

Wow! That is impressive! Yikes, I just realized...I'm a slacker :eek:

Salacia

Wow! That is impressive! Yikes, I just realized...I'm a slacker :eek:

Salacia

How about, instead: "Patricia is an obsessive compulsive moron"?

I think everyone else's advice to chillax makes more sense.

The only thing I can say in my defense: for years I travelled with a senior with Alzheimer's. "Be prepared" was more than a Boy Scout motto.

Fix a drink, sit back and watch the Olympics - don't even think about cruising.

Come Sept 1, get out your lists, start packing the non-clothing items and gradually work up to the day you leave.

Stress too much now, anticipate too much now, and the reality will be anti-climactic.

The only thing I can say in my defense: for years I travelled with a senior with Alzheimer's. "Be prepared" was more than a Boy Scout motto.[/quote

No, I wouldn't say that...I've travelled enough to know that when the chips were down, and there was a problem, no one pointed at the person who was well prepared and said "darn, you prepared too much!"

Which is why I always pack too much...you just never know when things like duct tape and zip locks bags will come in handy ;):)

The only thing I can say in my defense: for years I travelled with a senior with Alzheimer's. "Be prepared" was more than a Boy Scout motto.

Nope, Patrica, I wouldn't say that! No one ever pointed to a person when the chips were down and there was a problem, and said "darn, you prepared too much"!

Now...where is that duct tape and zip lock bags I need to pack :D

Cheers,

Salacia

It's good to know I'm not alone. My husband just shakes his head. Some good ideas....and relaxing is good too.

My iPad is loaded up and ready. I think I'll look for some new books on great nature photography to get some ideas for my camera.

You guys are great!

Good to be among fellow overplanners. I wonder if there's a 12 step program for us. :)

I'm in the same boat as you - same cabin actually! Westerdam 8147, just a couple weeks ahead of you (Sept 1st) So I keep coming here and wandering around, reading every relevant post, posting randomly lol I also spend time on Youtube and googling Alaska, the ship, the ports, the excursions. I passed into obsessive quite awhile ago lol at this point, I almost regret not working anymore because time sure flew faster when I was busy at work lol

Hey you should leave me a secret message somewhere and see if it will still be there when I get to the cabin!

I start a spreadsheet on my laptop where I can enter each day's charges. Every 3 or 4 days on the cruise I get a preliminary statement and check it against my running spreadsheet total, so when I get the final statement I only have to check a couple of days at most. ;)

If you have got everything done - you are doing really well:D:D

I would relax for a week or two - bet you dollars to donuts you'll think of something you need to do:)

Planning is 1/2 the fun but you certainly don't want to over-anticipate your cruise (now that's the pot calling the kettle black:rolleyes: - I've been planning for 6 months and have a long ways to go before this cruise and before I'm done):)

I cruise often and have a master list of what to take everytime, saves a lot of lists and I never forget anything and tweek my list after each cruise . Unless you have used your camera Ipad etc for a long time a manual dounloaded might come in handy.

I also keep a master list that I tweak as necessary. It saves much time. I also keep a drawer that is nothing but cruise essenetials. I just dump it into my carryon come cruise time.

It sound as if you have everything under control. Just keep coming back to CC for your daily cruise fix and you should be fine. Have a great cruise.

when you are all planned out. Nothing left to plan. Your budget is done and redone, your packing list prepped, suitcases brought to the front of storage, all your odds and ends are purchased, house/dog sitter import arranged...
I usually get right in the car and drive to the port or the airport. I'm a terrible procrastinator. I'm usually up very late the night before figuring out what I need to bring and getting it packed. More often than not, I'm at a 24 hour store at 2:00AM buying something at the last minute.

On my last cruise, we had a 11:00AM flight on a Saturday. I STARTED packing at 7:00AM that morning. I had been away on 2 week business trip and didn't get home until late Friday evening and was doing my laundry at midnight. Now, I will admit, that was cutting it a little too close. :cool:

Hey you should leave me a secret message somewhere and see if it will still be there when I get to the cabin!

Lol I was thinking that! If I remember, I'll tape something on the bottom of the drawer of the night stand. I doubt the steward will pull out the drawer that far lol Or maybe when thebathroom is hot and steamy from the shower, on the very very top of the mirror I'll write something in the fog. If the room steward only cleans the bottom dirty half of the mirror, it may still be there when you're there. You can see it when the mirror fogs back up lol The question is whether I'll remember once I start having fun on the ship lol

Your husband is right!

Did you leave any time to just relax, smell a local restaurant/bar, visit a grocery store?

There's always more research that can be done. Google again and read some info you didn't read before.

Print out and organize the info for your sightseeing. I've found printouts are easier to use than iPad.

I presume you're active on your Roll Call and have checked for private tours with some of the members.

Have you read the Port boards for all the ports where you'll be stopping?

Have you read all the threads about the ship you'll be on?

The packing list can always be tweaked some more.

Have you made a 'first aid' kit to take, including cold meds etc?

Go to the bookstore and browse among the guidebooks.

Study itineraries for future cruises. :)

I'm so sorry you'll miss your son's graduation from Army basic training.

I hope some other family members and friends will be there.

Archived