Upgrade question

Are you talking a free upgrade spontaneously given to you by Royal? As I understand it, they aren't very common, so I don't think there's anything unusual about never having had one in ten years. The only "upgrades" I've had have come from monitoring the prices and calling if a cabin category above mine drops in price so that it's cheaper than what I paid. I moved from an outside guarantee to a balcony on my last cruise by doing that - but I had to make the call and ask for it.

We have been sailing RC for 10yrs. now and never had a upgrade. Is this a joke or is there certian things you have to do to get one. Any ideas on how we might get a upgrade please help me!!!! Thanks!!!

I've been cruising over twice that long and have never gotten one of those "upgrade fairy magic upgrades"...

I HAVE been upgraded only in the following manners:

1). Having booked a "guarantee" rate, I have been put in cabins a couple of categories or so above my guarantee--but never like an inside guarantee resulting in a suite.

2). Monitoring prices and seeing a price drop, then negotiating with the cruise line for an upgrade rather than a credit...

I have heard stories of the mythological magic upgrade...like where someone is booked in a pleasant deck 3 ocean viewand, suddenly, three weeks before the cruise, they surprisingly find they've been reassigned to a Sky Suite...but, in all of my years of cruising , I've never had that happen to me...

We have been sailing RC for 10yrs. now and never had a upgrade. Is this a joke or is there certian things you have to do to get one. Any ideas on how we might get a upgrade please help me!!!! Thanks!!!

In 35 years, one upgrade and that was on our second cruise aboard the Sun Viking. The upgrade fairy seems to visit the newer cruisers but don't ever give up hope. :eek::eek:

Started cruising RCL in 2001 ...fast forward to 2012....number of upgrades received...Still O...sailed 2 times on Carnival...the 2nd time we were upgraded from a corner aft to a Suite...turned it down for the aft balcony...after that I think the upgrade fairy crossed me off the list for good....:p

Don't know how many cruises equates to 10 years since we are all different in the frequency. However, I'm Diamon Plus with 525 days with RCI and have only seen the upgrade fairy once. I know plenty of Pinnacle member that would probably say the same thing.

Your best bet would be to watch for price drops and hopefully by able to move up a catagory.

Having received several upgrades through the years I can asure you one cannot predict when one will occur. We have always been surprised.

I have not read any responses but I can assure you that those who have cruised many times and not received an upgrade will chime in with that fact and that you should book what you want rather than praying for the upgrade fairy visiting your RCL booking.

We have always booked the cabin we wanted; however, have been grateful for the upgrade regardless of how or why it occurred. :D:D:D

An UPGRADE FAIRY?? I am sure that this is just in peoples imagination!! In 35 cruises (25 with RCCL) the only UPGRADE we ever got was one we PAID for with Carnival. Cost us 500 to upgrade from ov balcony to Presidential Suite (which was very nice), but, NOT ONE AMENITY WAS OFFERED. No little treats, no CL, nada, nothing. So I will keep my D+ status with RCCL and enjoy the treats I earned (and yes I paid for those as well).

Sailed 22 times with Royal...I'm Loyal...I'm Diamond Plus now...

I HAVE received a Complimentary upgrade from the "Fairy". I booked a Junior Suite and was upgraded to an Owner's Suite. 1 Week prior to sailing I was notified by phone.

Best bet is to do as stated prior in this thread, Book the room you want and can afford, fill in your "Upgrade Preferences" on line and maybe someday you too will get a visit from the "Fairy". I also watch the prices like a HAWK.

I once had booked two Junior Suites side by side on the OASIS and then 3 days prior to sailing, the Presidential Suite became available for only an additional $500 premium over what I had paid for the Suites combined. I jumped on it and it was so worth it!!

I once had booked two Junior Suites side by side on the OASIS and then 3 days prior to sailing, the Presidential Suite became available for only an additional $500 premium over what I had paid for the Suites combined. I jumped on it and it was so worth it!!

That is fabulous. Good for you. What a great ship to receive an upgrade and I am sure your family was thrilled.

Keep hoping for...someday. :-)

Sailed 22 times with Royal...I'm Loyal...I'm Diamond Plus now...

I HAVE received a Complimentary upgrade from the "Fairy". I booked a Junior Suite and was upgraded to an Owner's Suite. 1 Week prior to sailing I was notified by phone.

Best bet is to do as stated prior in this thread, Book the room you want and can afford, fill in your "Upgrade Preferences" on line and maybe someday you too will get a visit from the "Fairy". I also watch the prices like a HAWK.

Now that was an "upgrade"....good for you all !!!

Archived