What Hotel does Princess Use Pre-Cruise San Pedro

EatPrayCruise

I've searched the boards and cannot find anything relevant. Has anyone booked a pre-cruise hotel through their travel agent where Princess actually sets up a table in the lobby or a meeting room so that you can actually "check-in" prior to the cruise and get your cabin key?

We have taken two NB Alaska cruises out of Vancouver and stayed at the Westin both times. Both times there were Princess employees who checked us in for the ship right at the hotel, we received our paperwork and our cabin keys.

Has anyone experienced this at the Crowne or Doubletree? Maybe we were just spoiled in Vancouver....

Thanks, and please don't flog me with capital letters, naughty words or anything insulting if this has been addressed somewhere and I just can't locate it. And, please, don't flog me for wishful thinking either, lol! :o

And, at any rate, could you please comment on your experiences and which hotel worked best for you and why?

Sue

I've searched the boards and cannot find anything relevant. Has anyone booked a pre-cruise hotel through their travel agent where Princess actually sets up a table in the lobby or a meeting room so that you can actually "check-in" prior to the cruise and get your cabin key?

We have taken two NB Alaska cruises out of Vancouver and stayed at the Westin both times. Both times there were Princess employees who checked us in for the ship right at the hotel, we received our paperwork and our cabin keys.

Has anyone experienced this at the Crowne or Doubletree? Maybe we were just spoiled in Vancouver....

Thanks, and please don't flog me with capital letters, naughty words or anything insulting if this has been addressed somewhere and I just can't locate it. And, please, don't flog me for wishful thinking either, lol! :o

And, at any rate, could you please comment on your experiences and which hotel worked best for you and why?

Sue

Princess, I think, uses a hotel by LAX. Unless you want to tour LA it isn't necessary to stay that far away from the pier. Lots of traffic.

There are 3 hotels in San Pedro that are all near the pier. The Double Tree (DT) & The Crowne Plaza (CP) are med priced. The Best Western Sunrise is low priced. All are nice for a one or 2 night stay. The DT has a nice outside area and is by the marina, about a mile or so south of the main area of San Pedro. The CP and Sunrise are in the main area and are directly across the street from the Acapulco Restaurant, the fish market, and ports of call mall. There is also a bus that runs along S. Harbor Blvd. which can take you to Long Beach. There is a museum, trolley and a nice walkway along the harbor. The Princess Pier is literally a 10 min walk from the CP and Sunrise. Check in at the Pier is very easy. Arrive by 11AM and you will be in your cabin and eating lunch shortly after noon. For us we like to be where we can walk around, so that is a plus for the Sunrise and the CP. Look these hotels up on the web.

Thank you for the speedy response, for the link, and for not flogging me. :D

I'll check out the link. Based on what I only know at this point, I was leaning toward the Crowne too.

Sue

Glad to help! :)

If you stay at the CP avoid the rough neighborhood south of downtown SP where the CP is located. I've read posts from some who get great prices through Priceline.

Glad to help! :)

If you stay at the CP avoid the rough neighborhood south of downtown SP where the CP is located. I've read posts from some who get great prices through Priceline.

Oh, wow, ok, thanks for that tip. We are probably not going to do much sight seeing, just want to get in the night before the cruise.

Here's San Pedro's website: http://www.sanpedro.com/

The battleship USS Iowa recently opened as a museum & is adjacent to the cruise piers.

Oh, super, that does interest me. We might try to take that in before we cruise.

Sue

We love the DoubleTree with their free shuttle to the port and we've never had to wait in a long line to check in for the ship.

Thanks, cherrybear, had my eye on that one too. I guess we have plenty of time to decide as we cruise in April. :p

Sue

I guess we have plenty of time to decide as we cruise in April. :p

Sue

I see that you're sailing on the Sapphire which is probably one of my favorite Princess ships particularly after the updates earlier this year. In March we enjoyed the addition of the Piazza with the International Cafe, Alfredo's Pizzeria & Vines. Being one of the few ships with the Promenade deck wide enough for lounge chairs is another bonus. I've enjoyed a couple of CA Coastal cruises...particularly being able to drive to the pier & NO FLIGHTS! :D

Princess uses the LAX Marriott, but I think the San Pedro Doubletree or the Crowne Plaza will be much better. You'll be near the port when you wake up (and some people have rooms where they can see the ship come in). If you're at the LAX hotel, you're by the airport. We stayed there right after our wedding, but that was because we had an early morning flight to Honolulu. That would be the only reason, IMO, to stay by the airport. The area surrounding it is filled with strip malls (and you can take that literally with many of them:eek:). While with a SP hotel, just use common sense if you want to grab dinner.

In fact, even though we live an hour's drive from the port, hubby was suggesting that the next time we cruise out of SP, we should stay the next before at the DT or CP.

Another plus with staying in SP, if you want to buy a bottle of wine or something else for the cruise, there are plenty of places to do so (you can even buy liquor at grocery markets or drug stores in Calif.).

We always use Priceline for San Pedro and always get Crowne. Will be there October 27th for $65.

I need to learn how to use Priceline to find such great deals because I've only seen the regular prices the few times I've looked at their site.

I need to learn how to use Priceline to find such great deals because I've only seen the regular prices the few times I've looked at their site.

You need to bid on your own to see if they accept it. Go read bidding for travel dot com

We have used the Sheraton several times and were very happy with the location. Not cheap, but a very nice hotel.

~Doris~

The Sheraton is now the Crowne Plaza & have read posts from those who bid on Priceline getting it for about $65 per night. :)

Our price is $185.00. For that, we get the room (duh) 2 free drinks, 2 free breakfast buffet, shuttle service and parking for the whole week. Dh

and I figured the cost difference between driving in the night before and

the cost of parking at the pier is about a $60.00 difference. More than worth saving the frustrations of driving the LA Freeways on a Saturday morning.

While I agree it's nice to stay near the ship, for those that stay near the airport, there is a shuttle that runs from those hotels to the pier in Manhattan Beach as well as two nearby malls. I think it costs $5. Manhattan Beach is a whole different story than San Pedro. It's a wealthy town with sports stars living there and a lot to do. Because it isn't part of the harbor you can get a real So Cal beach experience. Ride bikes along the strand, watch beach volleyball, etc.

Archived