Istanbul HO-HO bus

We'll be on Pacific Princess's Black Sea itinerary, docked in Istanbul from 07:00 November 15 to 14:00 November 16, and are thinking of using the hop-on-hop-off bus. Has anyone done that, and if so, how did it work for you? An email from CitySightseeing tells me that when a cruise ship is there, they add a port drop-off/pick-up point to their schedules. We've used HO-HO's in Boston, Victoria BC, Amsterdam, and Dublin, and enjoyed them all but found some better than others in terms of narrative and frequency of buses and stops.

I'll appreciate hearing about anyone's experiences -- thanks.

Don't think that Istanbul has a HO-HO bus for several reasons. First, there is a tram that takes you from the port to where most of the tourist attractions are. And, you can basically walk from one spot to the other. If there were a HO-HO bus, it would no doubt be more expensive than using a taxi and definitely more expensive than the tram. This is an easy city to get around on your own.

Here is a link to information on the tram http://www.istanbultrails.com/2009/08/getting-around-in-istanbul-by-metro-tram-and-funicular/

Yes, Istanbul has Hop On Hop Off buses and they will cost about $25 for a single (one day) ticket. That being said, we think the best way to get around Istanbul is on your feet or by using the Trams. Buses (including the HoHos have to deal with the bad traffic congestion (Trams have their own right of way) and you might find that you spend a significant time waiting for the buses and waiting while on the buses (due to traffic). The most popular tourist areas in Istanbul are in a relatively compact part of the city and those who enjoy walking will find they can get the most out of the city by maximizing walking and minimizing time on buses (or trams).

Hank

I would say in Istanbul that the HOHO is a NO NO!

It is extremely easty to take the tram (which runs just a block or two from where the ships dock) into the old town, called Sultanahmet, which is were all the main sites are within easy walking distance of each other -- including the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Hippodrome, Basilica Cistern, Archaeological Museum, and more. Just a bit further on foot (or another couple of tram stops) is the Grand Bazaar.

There have been many good posts on this board with detailed directions on how to do this.

Hank and the others are absolutely not exaggerating about the traffic. You are much better off using the tram. Any form of transportation on the road (bus, taxi, private car) is going to waste a lot of time sitting in traffic.

Are there convenient spots to take a break when doing DIY in Istanbul. I will be traveling with my elderly parents.

There are thousands of restaurants and cafes throughout Istanbul where you can always take a break with a beverage or snack. The main tourist area around Topkapi, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia is in a park-like setting where there are plenty of places to take a break and sit. We love this city :)

Hank

Tons of places to sit and rest........

Topkapi palace has benches. Hagia Sofia doesn't really have anything inside but right outside there is a small area with wrought iron tables and chairs and then there are lots of low cement walls you can sit on...... Blue Mosque - nothing inside but outside some benches. The Cistern has a small cafe at the exit (they have great turkish coffee!) and it is nice and cool down there......

The only place I can think of that doesn't have anywhere to sit (except at the few cafes) is the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar. Also there are parks in many locations with benches and places to sit.

Istanbul is one of the easiest places to DIY we have been to. The tram is clean, fast, safe and cheap. And yes, the traffic can be horrendous. We had people at our dinner table telling us of sitting in traffic in a taxi or bus for over an hour in traffic. It took us 8 minutes to get from the ship tram stop to the Sultenhamet area. :D

The Tram is wonderful as everyone has said. Very fast although it can be crowded. We passed many ship's buses on the way. We liked the Spice Market even better than the Grand Bazaar. It had a lot more locals shopping in it and size-wise it is more approachable. We stopped a cafe inside the Grand Bazaar to rest and had a soft drink and tea.

At the bridge just outside the square with the Spice Market with some floating boat/kitchens that are really neat to see. We had dinner on the bridge on the way back to the ship at one of the many fish places on it. Excellent time. Enjoy a wonderful city!

The Tram is wonderful as everyone has said. Very fast although it can be crowded. We passed many ship's buses on the way. We liked the Spice Market even better than the Grand Bazaar. It had a lot more locals shopping in it and size-wise it is more approachable. We stopped a cafe inside the Grand Bazaar to rest and had a soft drink and tea.

At the bridge just outside the square with the Spice Market are some floating boat/kitchens that are really neat to see. We had dinner on the bridge on the way back to the ship at one of the many fish places on it. Excellent time. Enjoy a wonderful city!

As always, the advice on these boards is invaluable. Decision made: walking and/or on the tram in Istanbul.

I like to walk -- I routinely walk 2+ miles a day on woods trails, further on hiking days -- and am wondering how feasible it is to walk from the ship to the Sultanahmet area. Is the route okay for walking? How long would it be, and would it be interesting or a poor use of time?

Now, off I go to post similar inquiries for some of our other ports where I'd like to DIY by walking if feasible: Constanta Romania, Nessebar Bulgaria, Yalta Ukraine, Odessa Ukraine. My early thoughts are to take a half-day ship tour to see some "must-see" sites/sights, then walk for the rest of the day. If anyone has experience in any of these cities, I'd love to hear from you! I was in Yalta in January 1989, an interesting time in history when it was still part of the USSR, and expect it will be changed considerably now. The other cities will be first visits.

You can walk it but you can get PLENTY of walking done in Istanbul without retracing your steps. If you like to walk take the tram up the hill to the Sultanhamet area. Tour that area's amazing sites on foot. Then walk back down the hill to the ship. On the way back see the Grand Bazaar and Spice market, bridge area etc... Very nice day.

Save any tour money for something further away that interests you.

I agree - if you MUST walk to/from I would tram in and walk back. The Galata bridge would prove to be more interesting by walking it but once on the "port" side its not too interesting. There is nice wide sidewalks on that side tho..... but much more modern and only 1 or 2 interesting items. I really felt like I did more than enough walking in the historic area to be honest...... :rolleyes:

We spent five night in Istanbul last year and walked all over the old town area. The roads and alleys are not in straight lines so it was a little diificult finding a direct route uphill to a specific location (although getting a little lost was fun). It was much easier starting from the Sultanahmet and Grand Bazaar area and walking downhill since most lanes feed down to the docks which are level and open (and easier to find your destination).

We absolutely loved Istanbul and spent hours having tea with numerous merchants without being pressured to buy anything. We just made sure we were not in the major tourist area like the Grand Bazaar. Most of the merchants were selling real carpets costing over $30,000 so they knew we weren't interested in buying. They were just interested in having a conversation and wanted to be a good host. Got a good education about modern Turkey and about the carpet trade. We were also there in February so the merchants may have had fewer customers and more time to socialize. We did get hassled in the bazaars so we didn't show any interest unless we really wanted to buy something.

One memorable situation we had was buying a fish sandwich from the boats along the docks. They split a type of mackerel lengthwise, grill them on the boat and serve them on a roll with lettuce and onion. I thought it was very tasty but the fish still had all of its bones. I guess you are supposed to spit the bones out while you chew. Still a fun experience.

I agree - if you MUST walk to/from I would tram in and walk back. The Galata bridge would prove to be more interesting by walking it but once on the "port" side its not too interesting. There is nice wide sidewalks on that side tho..... but much more modern and only 1 or 2 interesting items. I really felt like I did more than enough walking in the historic area to be honest...... :rolleyes:

Speaking of walking the Galata Bridge (we love walking in Istanbul) some folks may not be aware there is actually a lower pedestrian level with shops and some decent seafood restaurants.

Hank

Speaking of walking the Galata Bridge (we love walking in Istanbul) some folks may not be aware there is actually a lower pedestrian level with shops and some decent seafood restaurants.

Hank

While having dinner on the bridge we had a funny experience. People fish from the upper level. We were seeing fish come up past the restaurant level. Then a hooked seagull came up. The manager came running out yelling up to the fisherman. It finally got released and everyone went back to eating.

Archived