Do these work?

Nadersmom

Anyone ever use the "overboard" brand of waterproof bags? I purchased a small T3000 model box by S3 Cases for holding our passports, money, S&S cards, ect. while in the water at Nachi Cocum. The T3000 is a little over 8" long by 4-1/2" wide and is a hard shatterproof case. The smaller boxes wouldnt have held both of our passports, money ect.

DH said he would prefer something that goes around your waste that you dont have to hold onto. He wants it for when he's on a jetski. I plan on "lounging" in the ocean rather than actually swiming :D so dont really mind holding the box, which touts itself as "truly 100% waterproof" . The box floats so it isnt like it will be underwater the entire time. But if I get the "overboard" brand pouch that you can wear on your waist, it obviously would be underwater the whole time I'm in the ocean. While it says is a class 5 which is waterproof for up to 19 ft, Im curious if anyone else has ever used one.

If no one replies, maybe you can get one and write a review afterwards!!

FYI, we go ashore with our S&S card, drivers license and a few $$ in a ziplock bag. Oh..that was vague...the $$ goes into the baggie. The S&S card and Drivers license are inherently waterproof, so they go in a zippered, non-waterproof pocket in my swim trunks. (actually the cash is waterproof, too, but it is way easier to handle if it stays dry)

As you can see...our passports stay in the room safe, esp. in Mexico. You have to do what you are comfortable with as far as this goes.

I just purchased an otter box - guaranteed to 100 feet. It has a wrist strap that you could add a longer around the waist strap to. It also fits in the leg pocket of DH's board shorts which velcro's shut. Very happy with it - used it the water park last week.

I just purchased an otter box - guaranteed to 100 feet. It has a wrist strap that you could add a longer around the waist strap to. It also fits in the leg pocket of DH's board shorts which velcro's shut. Very happy with it - used it the water park last week.

Thanks, I'll look that up as well

I only take my passport off the ship if the captain tells us it's necessary, and I wouldn't go near a beach with one, nor near water. It's a legal document, and you're supposed to look after it carefully. You're more likely to have it stolen, than to miss the ship.:rolleyes:

One cruise line tells people just to take the passport number and place of issue ashore, and will photocopy your passport for you. We copy ours and laminate it- it helps the consul to check who you are, if you need help.

We also copy our insurance papers and take them ashore.:)

Jo.

I just looked up the T3000 S3 case and I am not sure that it is waterproof.

Here is a link to the Witz sport cases site whose product I am familiar with and have used extensively without an issue.

http://www.witzsportcases.com/

Someone else recommended Witz as well. Have you gone swimming with your Witz? I wont be scuba diving, but do intend to hang out in the water quite a bit. Have you been IN THE WATER for long periods of time with your Witz? did it float with you? husband wants to jetski. Would the Witz passport holder be sufficient in your opinion?

The T3000 S3 case was purchased from a scuba store. Website says waterproof, but SUBMERSION in only up to 30 minutes. Again, I will mainly have it floating beside me.

So did you use your Witz while sitting in water for extended periods of time?

I only take my passport off the ship if the captain tells us it's necessary, and I wouldn't go near a beach with one, nor near water. It's a legal document, and you're supposed to look after it carefully. You're more likely to have it stolen, than to miss the ship.:rolleyes:

One cruise line tells people just to take the passport number and place of issue ashore, and will photocopy your passport for you. We copy ours and laminate it- it helps the consul to check who you are, if you need help.

We also copy our insurance papers and take them ashore.:)

Jo.

Ispoke with someone at the Washington DC US Customs and Border Control office. She said, it's personnel preference and that, yes, as an American citizen, you would eventually get back to the US if you have photocopy only. They would START with that. But she said, "do you really want to be stuck in Mexico waiting for all of that to be worked out while you have an emergency at home? You will want to focus on your emergency, not the time it will take to get your papers in order". She also said, "if you have a medical emergency yourself, you will want to be flown home, trust me, you will NOT want to be stuck in a Mexican hospital while they work it all out". She said it's all a matter of personal preference, but there is no way she would leave the passport on the ship, it would be with her at all times.

That's pretty much how I see it as well. I would be much more comfortable with the passport being with me. I dont intend to leave it on the beach. Once I find an applicable waterproof box that I can trust to be watertight, that will be on me at all times, in the water and out. Dont really care if I look like a dork :D

Someone else recommended Witz as well. Have you gone swimming with your Witz? I wont be scuba diving, but do intend to hang out in the water quite a bit. Have you been IN THE WATER for long periods of time with your Witz? did it float with you? husband wants to jetski. Would the Witz passport holder be sufficient in your opinion?

The T3000 S3 case was purchased from a scuba store. Website says waterproof, but SUBMERSION in only up to 30 minutes. Again, I will mainly have it floating beside me.

So did you use your Witz while sitting in water for extended periods of time?

Yes, we have had them for about 4 years and have gone in the water snorkeling a number of times and they are waterproof. As to will they float, it will depend upon what and how much you put in them. I an not at all sure where you are going but we never take our passports ashore so can get by with a smaller case that handles cruise card, photo ID, credit card, and some cash.

Ispoke with someone at the Washington DC US Customs and Border Control office. She said, it's personnel preference and that, yes, as an American citizen, you would eventually get back to the US if you have photocopy only. They would START with that. But she said, "do you really want to be stuck in Mexico waiting for all of that to be worked out while you have an emergency at home? You will want to focus on your emergency, not the time it will take to get your papers in order". She also said, "if you have a medical emergency yourself, you will want to be flown home, trust me, you will NOT want to be stuck in a Mexican hospital while they work it all out". She said it's all a matter of personal preference, but there is no way she would leave the passport on the ship, it would be with her at all times.

That's pretty much how I see it as well. I would be much more comfortable with the passport being with me. I dont intend to leave it on the beach. Once I find an applicable waterproof box that I can trust to be watertight, that will be on me at all times, in the water and out. Dont really care if I look like a dork :D

We also have Witz which we bought YEARS ago..maybe 8 (?) Have used them on almost every vacation we have been on since then ..cruises, Vegas, Orlando etc. Anytime we went into the pool or ocean we used them for all sorts of misc items we consider important, keys, room keys, credit cards, money and yes, passports. Have never had one leak. They have lanyards and float, which sometimes looks a little silly but, I would rather look silly than lose or worse have my papers/items stolen while swimming. We also take our passports on land and leave the copies in the safe..(along with copies of our licenses etc ) If they are stolen in another country it's easier to get back on the ship and get help using the copies than to try to get help in a strange country. Also if stranded in a foreign country ...much easier to just get on a plane home with the originals.

We also have Witz which we bought YEARS ago..maybe 8 (?) Have used them on almost every vacation we have been on since then ..cruises, Vegas, Orlando etc. Anytime we went into the pool or ocean we used them for all sorts of misc items we consider important, keys, room keys, credit cards, money and yes, passports. Have never had one leak. They have lanyards and float, which sometimes looks a little silly but, I would rather look silly than lose or worse have my papers/items stolen while swimming. We also take our passports on land and leave the copies in the safe..(along with copies of our licenses etc ) If they are stolen in another country it's easier to get back on the ship and get help using the copies than to try to get help in a strange country. Also if stranded in a foreign country ...much easier to just get on a plane home with the originals.

Agree completely. I see that Witz has a "PASSPORT LOCKER". Which is what I would most likely go for. But you can't put those around your waist, which is why we are leaning more towards the Overboard brand, which has a belt and a lanyard. Well, DH is anyway. He doesn't want something that you have to hold onto. Would prefer something that you can just attach to yourself and forget about it. But it's good to hear good reviews on the witz products from different people. I'm like you, dont really care if I look silly or not. I'm on vacation:D And trust me, I can look silly all by myself. dont even need a waterproof container hangin around my neck to do so :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I purchased the Overboard Brand from the waterproof Store.

According to the website's waterproof classifications (1 thru 5), this is a class 5

Class 5 – Waterproof and submersible to depths greater than 12 feet (often as much as 100 feet – varies by manufacturer). Suitable for any underwater sport of less depth than the manufacturer’s maximum depth rating. Common applications include scuba diving, snorkeling, search & rescue, and white water rafting. The product could be permeated by water in any of the following applications: depths greater than the manufacturer’s maximum depth rating or any physical force that could jeopardize the water-tight seal.

I got it yesterday, so today I decided to run a test. put some papers in and sealed the bag. put it in the a sink full of water and weighted it down so it stayed submerged for about 4 hours. I just checked it and everything was dry as could be. Cost me $29.00 and it should hold 2 passports, c. cards and some cash. Came with a lanyard and also a belt so you can wear it as a fanny pack if need be, like when we are on jetskis.

Archived