Cabins next to glass elevators??

LVSue

We had a verandah right next to the glass elevator a few years back on the Zeiderdam during a Med cruise. We enjoyed the convenience of being right next to the stairs and elevators and didn't have any excess noise because of the location. Since we were planning to be clothed and not indulging in private activities on the balcony, it didn't bother us that we could be seen. We liked the location so well, we booked the same location on a Westerdam cruise we're doing in March. I do understand, however, that some folks consider the balcony an extension of their room and space, and therefore is private property. With the elevators right there, your balcony is more like you have your own piece of the ship that is convenient to you, but definitely not private.

We had a VA cabin two or three down from the entrance to the bridge. More than once, when were on the balcony, if we glanced at the bridge, an officer waved at us. That is a 24-hour view as opposed to the elevator zooming past your deck ;0)

We had cabin 5100 on the Oosterdam right at the glass elevator. The few times we used the balcony we never felt we were being watched. What we like about it was that it was like having your owe private elevator. We hardly ever had wait long for it and often we were the only passengers on it. It was great. There was never a noise problem. Perhaps the only problem there is with this cabin, the elevator takes a little piece of the balcony. but it left more than enough balcony for us.

We've had cabin 6084 on the Westerdam and had no problems at all. Actually, it's nice to know that you won't have a cabin on at least one side of your balcony. Neighbors in cabins can sometimes be much more annoying than a fleeting elevator...LOL....

• 4 months later...
We had cabin 5100 on the Oosterdam right at the glass elevator. The few times we used the balcony we never felt we were being watched. What we like about it was that it was like having your owe private elevator. We hardly ever had wait long for it and often we were the only passengers on it. It was great. There was never a noise problem. Perhaps the only problem there is with this cabin, the elevator takes a little piece of the balcony. but it left more than enough balcony for us.

I agree, having recently had cabin 7068 on the Oosterdam. The location was so convenient, especially since H rides a small mobility scooter. No waiting for lifts, usually as stated above empty and closer to Neptunr Lounge than our iearlier cabin. I did take a photo of our balcony from the lift so you can decide for yourself. I will add that H was "holding" the lift to give me time to do this. Usually the stops are short, you have to be quick geting in and out so people have more to think about than peering onto balconies. Sorry about the photo size - I am finding the new photobucket interface a little confusing.

Photo14-11-12115010AM_zps7847c896-1_zpsecc99f7c.jpg

We ended up with a cabin next to the glass elevators recently. It ended up to be fine, but certainly not my favorite because I felt our view was compromised slightly by the elevators. There were also some cables and wires that looped across the side and ceiling of our veranda which looked a bit ominous, and were distracting.

I would not like the cabins right next to the glass elevators. To me, the best location (for a deluxe suite) is the the second cabin forward of the glass elevators. That way you are close to the mid-ship elevators (convenient to get anywhere on the ship) and not far from the Neptune Lounge.

DaveOKC

I agree, having recently had cabin 7068 on the Oosterdam. The location was so convenient, especially since H rides a small mobility scooter. No waiting for lifts, usually as stated above empty and closer to Neptunr Lounge than our iearlier cabin. I did take a photo of our balcony from the lift so you can decide for yourself. I will add that H was "holding" the lift to give me time to do this. Usually the stops are short, you have to be quick geting in and out so people have more to think about than peering onto balconies. Sorry about the photo size - I am finding the new photobucket interface a little confusing.

Photo14-11-12115010AM_zps7847c896-1_zpsecc99f7c.jpg

Hmm....I am seeing an advantage to this cabin. It would be easier to see forward because of the angle. On the typical balcony, you have to lean out over the rail to see forward.

This would especially be great in the Inside Passage, or any cruise with close up scenery.

This has been one of our recurring concerns in booking a deluxe guarantee.

Last week on the Westerdam, the friendly CC couple in the 'elevator cabin' gave me a tour to assuage my fears. They were quite happy with the verandah and especially with the location.

And while I won't be seeking one out, I will happily book a last minute deluxe guarantee if the situation arises.

We had 7070 once on the Westerdam; perfect location!

That's generally one of my favorite cabins - 2 doors from the glass elevator. I have easy access to 5 elevators, easy to go up to Lido, the pool, etc. I've never seen anyone looking in at me nor do I care. I usually sit on the balcony, read a book, have a glass of wine and just look at the view.

Hmm....I am seeing an advantage to this cabin. It would be easier to see forward because of the angle. On the typical balcony, you have to lean out over the rail to see forward.

This would especially be great in the Inside Passage, or any cruise with close up scenery.

True, but on this cruise there was a rope/hawser tied from the superstructure a fe decks above us to the tender level. Not sure if this is a fixture - it was on both sides of the elevators on the port side. This did get in the way of panorama photos but there were good views looking forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We enjoyed an SB guarantee immediately next to the elevator on the Zuiderdam last month. You could hear the elevator chime if you strained to listen for it, and the motion of the elevator inside its glass housing was never a distraction.

It was a great cabin.

I spent time this year on Oosterdam 6084 (SB) next to the midship elevators. The photos are on IRL_Joanie' site. The cabin was perfectly fine, no troubles, no noise, no peepers to mention. I am all for booking that cabin again.

These cabins are never a problem. Those that are commenting on it probably have never been in one.

Archived