Disney Dining (for a picky adult)

logan25

Need a little help folks. We have booked an October cruise. But looking at the dining room menus is not exciting hubby's appetite. We are not foodies, and I am more flexible and adverturous than him when it comes to food. The menus we have viewed, while interesting and varied, do not seem to offer a lot appealing to his simple meat and potatoes appetite. If they would just serve him a steak/prime rib and baked potato/mashed potatoes every night, he would be satisfied. Are we missing some standard everyday option menu, not necessarily tied to any one main dining room venue?

It did not appear that Topsiders was even a viable option since it serves food from the main dining room menus, but with more flexible seating.

I would like for Disney to be able to offer him more than hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza (and that's providing we find them tasty) over the course of seven days.

Need a little help folks. We have booked an October cruise. But looking at the dining room menus is not exciting hubby's appetite. We are not foodies, and I am more flexible and adverturous than him when it comes to food. The menus we have viewed, while interesting and varied, do not seem to offer a lot appealing to his simple meat and potatoes appetite. If they would just serve him a steak/prime rib and baked potato/mashed potatoes every night, he would be satisfied. Are we missing some standard everyday option menu, not necessarily tied to any one main dining room venue?

It did not appear that Topsiders was even a viable option since it serves food from the main dining room menus, but with more flexible seating.

I would like for Disney to be able to offer him more than hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza (and that's providing we find them tasty) over the course of seven days.

Every night, in the MDRs, there is a "lighter fare" option. Generally chicken or fish of some variety, sometimes steak. Can be served with baked potato, steamed veggies, rice.

There is also the option (that I have done) of mixing items from different offerings. If you like the meat off one dish, but prefer the veggies from a different dish, you can ask to have it done that way.

Or just a garden salad, if that's what you want.

DH has just had the "meat & potatoes" dish several times in the MDR.

:)

EDIT: Of course, there's always the option of ordering off the kid's menu. They have pastas, and more kid-friendly "plain" food.

Shmoo's right and if you don't see anything to your liking on the menu, just ask for what you want. All they can say is no and I can tell you that won't be their first choice of response. If it is possible, they will bring you exactly what you ask for exactly the way you ask for it. If it is steak and potato every night that should be doable. I think I had steak and potato for 13 nights out of 15. One night I was too seasick to go to dinner and one night I ate chicken! I also had only iceberg lettuce with viniagrette up front. Just ask and enjoy.

Tell your hubby to look at it this way, order something he never had before. If he doesn't like it, they will get him some thing else. It's not like he HAS to eat it because he is being charged for it. If he asked, they would bring him everything on the menu, TWICE!!! :D it's not like he is throwing away $$$

One night I looked at the menu and couldn't decide between the three meats they had that night. I jokingly told our server (Vicky) that and she just smiled and brought me a sample of each...

Tell him to be adventurous, and if he really doesn't like it, he can have his steak....

When you make changes to the standard plating, the server has to request the special plate from the chefs. This takes a little extra time and extra effort but the servers are willing to do it for you. Be sure to show your appreciation for their extra effort when tip time comes around.

Don't forget to use the children's menus. They have great food for the kids that is usually much simpler in taste and texture. We have a friend who used these menus and he was really pleased.

That had crossed my mind. Told hubby he would just have to order three servings. (4 oz. steak...Please!)

My father is the same way....won't eat fancy stuff. So every night on the one cruise they were on with us he ordered steak - medium well - by the third night the server didn't even ask what he wanted and would bring his steak out with everything else!

When we took our youngest DS (who is an extremely picky eater, in spite of being a teenage boy), my deal with him was: he had to order 1 dish off the "adult" menu each night. Appitizer/soup/entree/something. Beyond that, he was welcome to order the chicken strips from the kids menu every night.

He wound up having the chicken strips for his appitizer every night (some nights they were just the chicken strips, some nights the server brought the whole kids entree with veggies). And he ate a variety of other things.

:)

This is such a wonderful time to try wonderful new things. I too am very picky! If you don't like it then get something else. I found several things I was glad I tried not that I would eat it again but i did enjoy the adventure!

One thing you need to do is to break down the entree item by item.

For example:

White Shrimp Pennette Pasta

Tossed with a Basil and Reggiano Parmesan Cheese Sauce and topped with a Parmesan Cheese Wafer

What is it? It's Fettucini Alfredo with some shrimp tossed in and a cheese cracker on top.

Marinated Angus Beef Tenderloin

Carved to order on Wasabi Mashed Potatoes with Bok Choy and a Tamarind Barbecue Reduction

What is it? It's roast beef with BBQ sauce, mashed potatoes with a slight kick, and greens.

And so on.

Once deconstructed, very few items on the MDR menus aren't pretty much basic foods.

When we took our youngest DS (who is an extremely picky eater, in spite of being a teenage boy), my deal with him was: he had to order 1 dish off the "adult" menu each night. Appitizer/soup/entree/something. Beyond that, he was welcome to order the chicken strips from the kids menu every night.:)

So true. In June I finally won that battle with my son with just that kind of deal. My son found the he LOVED Atlantic Salmon, liked Mahi Mahi, a fancy glazed pork loin dish but was only luke warm to lobster. He even tried some exoctic starters. Of course he really enjoyed the prime rib but since returning home he is more willing to try new things. FINALLY.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

My mom is super picky and wants steaks very well done. It took them 3 tries, but they finally got there. Unfortunately, the rest of us were done eating. After that, she felt it was too big a hassle so didn't come to MDR again. The great thing is, that's her choice. It didn't stop us from enjoying them and kept her happy. She would eat at buffet, room service or pool side food court. Ther servers all felt bad, but we reassured them, that's just her. Also made sure they were tipped for her seat too.

I'm pretty sure they had a steak offering every night on the menu. DH had it quite a few nights. Also, my niece asked for something one night that was available the night before. Our server said if we gave 1 day notice he could have had it for us. Something to keep in mind!

Archived