help...clothing question for Italy churches

larry the lobster

Question please, we are going to the Italy ports soon and I know women have to wear something below their knees and their shoulders must be covered and men must wear long pants while in their churches BUT.... can men wear jeans? And I have a 13 year old daughter, can she wear jeans and or can she wear leggings with a shirt or a dress that is above her knees?

Any other information I need while we are in Italy or Spain?

Thank you!!!

Jeans are fine for both males and females. I have no idea about the leggings, though. Could she just carry a big floaty scarf to tie around her waist if needed? It doesn't weigh much or take up much room.

edited to add: I see a lot of people with big scarves wound into a loose rope and tied around their necks, even on quite warm days, so she would be pretty fashionable with the scarf. :)

Definitely have to cover up in the Vatican both knees and shoulders. Some churches have paper covers but not all. Definitely carry a shawl to use as a skirt or to cover shoulders. Does your DD have longer capris? Thats what I wore.

Jeans on a summer Med cruise will likely spend the trip in the bag they came in, it's just too hot for something so heavy.

Light weight cotton capris or pants would ensure no problems for your daughter, but I suspect that leggings with a short dress over them would work as well. It may be an issue for an adult dressed that way, but probably not for a kid. However, if you want to be absolutely sure, go with the capris or pants.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, we were just at St Peter's Basilica in August and they were paying no attention to children, mine were fine in shorts and t shirt. I had on a summer dress, knee length and a wrap around my shoulders. My husband had shorts and a t shirt on although he had linen trousers in his bag in case, we were just waved in.

If you are going any time soon you will not want to wear jeans, it was 39 degrees in August.

Have fun.

Question please, we are going to the Italy ports soon and I know women have to wear something below their knees and their shoulders must be covered and men must wear long pants while in their churches BUT.... can men wear jeans? And I have a 13 year old daughter, can she wear jeans and or can she wear leggings with a shirt or a dress that is above her knees?

Any other information I need while we are in Italy or Spain?

Thank you!!!

I just want to note that it depends on the church. There are some churches that shorts are fine and others that are not.

In summer months I would not wear jeans but would wear something a lot lighter.

Keith

Hi, we were just at St Peter's Basilica in August and they were paying no attention to children, mine were fine in shorts and t shirt. I had on a summer dress, knee length and a wrap around my shoulders. My husband had shorts and a t shirt on although he had linen trousers in his bag in case, we were just waved in.

If you are going any time soon you will not want to wear jeans, it was 39 degrees in August.

Have fun.

It's good that you were prepared, because I think your husband was lucky, rather than this being a relaxation of the rules continuing into the future.

• 2 weeks later...
It's good that you were prepared, because I think your husband was lucky, rather than this being a relaxation of the rules continuing into the future.

Just returned Monday and found the above to be true, some churchs enforced the rules and some did not, either way my wife and I dressed according to the rules and had no problems

Archived