Seattle

cruiselvr1

I noticed (On AIS tracking) that some ships embark near Pike Market and downtown, while Princess and HAL embarks what appears to be a Industrial area. Is it hard to get to that pier, compared to downtown.

Taxi's will know exactly where it is, you can tell them "Pier 90/91 Cruise Terminal" There are also several services that will provide transfers from hotels and the airport. Notably "Shuttle Express".

It's possible to take public transit, but if you have luggage and a group I don't recommend this.

It is possible to walk from downtown, but its 2 to 3 miles and once again, in a group, not recommended.

During our LA to Vancouver cruise we were in-transit so the ship docked at the pier in downtown Seattle & we could walk into town. Once in Seattle the underground bus route was free which was helpful. :)
The free downtown bus zone is scheduled to end soon. I don't remember the exact date, though.

The free downtown bus zone is scheduled to end soon. I don't remember the exact date, though.

September 29th. The Light Rail in the tunnel is an honor system which is rarely checked downtown because the time between stops is very short. It is frequently checked between downtown and the airport.

In lieu of losing the "Ride Free Area" a free shuttle around downtown will be created, however details of routing and frequency are unknown at this time.

Note that the Ride Free Area never included the area near Pier 90/91 where HAL. Princess, Disney, RCL, and Carnival dock. Princess docks at the downtown pier 1 or 2 times per year and only for in-transit cruises.

If you choose to take public transit from Pier 90/91 to downtown, this site will help when this service starts in the fall

http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/MetroTransit/RapidRide/DLine.aspx

Rapid Ride will provide obvious, frequent, and quick service between 90/91 and downtown. The buses are red and yellow (typically) and are signed "D line". Pay as you board the bus with exact change ($2.25 to $2.50, off peak vs peak) Busses come every 8-15 minutes during the day and evening. Late night busses are less frequent. Stations and most stops have real-time arrival information. The stations and stops are clearly labeled, illuminated, and uniquely identified from other bus stops. All busses feature stop announcements clearly as well as being displayed on a scrolling display.

-Galer street stop is approximately 1/3rd of a mile from the cruise terminal at 90/91. Stations on 1st Ave/Queen Anne provide access to the Space Needle and Seattle Center.

-Pike St Station provides access to Pike Place and the downtown shopping district.

-Seneca St Station provides access to the financial district and theater district

-Columbia St Station provides access to Pioneer Square and the historic district as well as a chinatown which is a quarter mile walk to the south on 3rd.

You can also access the tunnel stations with Light Rail to/from the airport from any of these three downtown stations.

More info is here:

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/travel-options/bus/rapidride/

Rapid Ride will provide obvious, frequent, and quick service between 90/91 and downtown. The buses are red and yellow (typically) and are signed "D line". Pay as you board the bus with exact change ($2.25 to $2.50, off peak vs peak) Busses come every 8-15 minutes during the day and evening. Late night busses are less frequent. Stations and most stops have real-time arrival information. The stations and stops are clearly labeled, illuminated, and uniquely identified from other bus stops. All busses feature stop announcements clearly as well as being displayed on a scrolling display.

Does the rapids ride stop in front of the termial at the pier or a distance away? We will be staying at the Moore hotel and this maybe an option for us to take but we dont want to have to drag our luggage to far.

Thank you.

Does the rapids ride stop in front of the termial at the pier or a distance away? We will be staying at the Moore hotel and this maybe an option for us to take but we dont want to have to drag our luggage to far.

Thank you.

The Galer St stop is as close as it will get you. It is about 0.85 miles from the stop to the door of the terminal. Much of that distance is on a well marked, crosswalk-hatched, walkway within the port boundary. It is flat except for a bridge over the railroad tracks. Taking the main route has no stairs. Watch traffic around the East Entry; this is where delivery trucks and taxi enter and exit the port. They will probably want to see passports and cruise tickets here. I have walked this way with a roller suitcase and it is totally doable. Quite honestly, it seems shorter than the distance, probably because the cruise ship gets bigger and bigger each step you take.

See this map. It's written for folks going the opposite direction, but you just have to read it backwards. Let me know if you have questions.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212735710893949354238.00048fc2ef6c14dc18f8f&msa=0&ll=47.63241,-122.376508&spn=0.007852,0.021136

I just can't see being able to take a large suitcase and carryon per person on the bus. Am I missing something? If these are regular transit buses, won't luggage block the aisles? I can see the bus being an advantage if Seattle is a port stop for the day, but not to get to or from the ship if it is the starting or stopping point.

I just can't see being able to take a large suitcase and carryon per person on the bus. Am I missing something? If these are regular transit buses, won't luggage block the aisles? I can see the bus being an advantage if Seattle is a port stop for the day, but not to get to or from the ship if it is the starting or stopping point.

While a personal shuttle or taxi would be ideal, budget minded travelers who are in smaller groups or just a couple with maybe 1 large bag each should have no problem.

These are special buses with 3 wide doors, extra room and fewer seats in the front to accommodate more passengers. Unless you are on one of these during rush hour, they are rarely standing room only. See picture:

5978727187_0f94c58881_b.jpg

Thank you for the reply, My brother is suffering cancer so that walk may be a bit too much so we will do the cab from the Moore to the pier, but......thank you sooooooo much for your help it will definately help on my next cruise.:D

Thank you for the reply, My brother is suffering cancer so that walk may be a bit too much so we will do the cab from the Moore to the pier, but......thank you sooooooo much for your help it will definately help on my next cruise.:D

Sending positive thoughts to your brother. It is so difficult to have a beloved member of your family suffer from this disease. Hope all of you will have a wonderful cruise creating some very wonderful family memories.

Pier 91 is only a few miles north of the downtown core. A taxi will only cost around $15.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Explore-Terminals/Pages/default.aspx

Great link, loaded with lots of information. I enjoyed the video they have for Pier 91 .. it shows Princess and HAL in port and all the cars, buses, taxis zooming in and out. Last time we left from Seattle it was at the old pier for Princess and HAL, so this gave me a new perspective.

Archived