So MANY changes since cruising in 2004!!

Veneerdds

Hi Everyone!

The more I read the more I realize that there have been so many changes since I last cruised in 2004. My BF is a first time cruiser and I so want him to love it as I do then I'll be cruising EVERY year!

Well I'm wondering if there are big changes I should be aware of ??? I don't want to be telling my BF one thing and find out I am totally wrong!! :confused:

I haven't cruised since 2000 so I am in the same "boat" (no pun intended lol).

For me auto-tipping is new. I was used to handing out cash envelopes on final night but we may like this system even better and/or still hand something extra out as a gesture if we get great service.

I don't think there were giant screens by the pool or slides. No wifi or using your own phone on board. I think anytime dining is new. I thought that specialty restaurants were new but my mom reminded me that there were specialty restaurants, we just never went :). . I think the coffeehouse type place is new...

But this is just what I've gathered from reading the boards. I am sure we will encounter many other things when we set sail in 20 days!!! Looking forward to what others have to say.

We started cruising in 2004 and while some things have changed, overall it isn't that different. The newer ships are designed with more comforts and luxuries in mind, more balconies, more amenities (many with a price tag), and more variety. I think folks who cruises in the 1990's and earlier would have a lot more to say on how things have changed.

You can skip the 'formal' cruise experience entirely, or glam it up. There are a lot more choices because of things like non-fixed seating options, alternative restaurants, cabin type etc. Some would say ships have become jack of all trades, master of none, and while this may be true, it's still great value for your travel dollar.

1) ships are getting bigger

2) They are more amenities on the ships

3) More things to do

4) Decline in the quality of service

5) Decline in the quality of food

6) Increase number of surchases for activities

7) Midnight buffets have diappeared

8) Dress standards have declined

9) Behavior of your fellow passengers has declined.

With that enjoy, you can still have a great time.

One thing that has changed is you will be on a ship in the middle of the ocean going somewhere with anticipation.

He wont know any difference so just tell him he will have an awesome time

One thing I like better is all the new food venues. I like to eat, I admit it. I especially like Mongolian BBQ.

Magic has some new stuff that I didnt have time to try the brief time I was on her before. It has Tandori, indian food, and burrito wraps, Red Frog Pub with $3.33 entrees (some call them snacks, depends on how big a eater you are), it has the new italian, which I will skip as I hate Italian food .. but the rest I want to try everything a few times.

I haven't cruises as many as most people on here, but the one thing I miss was the free fruit punch. I can ask them to make it at the bar, and they do,for a price it's just not everywhere like it used to be. That said, now that I have to pay for it, my stomach likes me better.:o

One thing I like better is all the new food venues. I like to eat, I admit it. I especially like Mongolian BBQ.

Magic has some new stuff that I didnt have time to try the brief time I was on her before. It has Tandori, indian food, and burrito wraps, Red Frog Pub with $3.33 entrees (some call them snacks, depends on how big a eater you are), it has the new italian, which I will skip as I hate Italian food .. but the rest I want to try everything a few times.

Is their an extra charge for the new italian ? I LUV Italian food....lol.... I was on the Freedom at they didn't have much pasta. The pizza was HORRIBLE.....they used a gooey mozzarella substance still don't know what they used...it was horrible...

Just got back from East Caribbean on the Conquest. The shows, activities are not the same as 2001 and 2004. No past guest party or midnight farewell party. So I guess they are going down. But, still had a wonderful cruise. Booked on RCI next. Then I can compare. :rolleyes:

Hate to hear the food on the freedom was bad!!! Sailing in 54 days!!! :mad:

Overall the food wasn't bad -- the fish & chips was delicious -- great gazpacho, seafood soup. I also loved the mongolian wok. The sun king restaurant is definately worth the extra money for the awesome service & food. The MDR was good.

My biggest dissapointment was the PIZZA. We attempted to have it on different nights, and it was always the same horrible taste. How can you go wrong with pizza, but they did.

Is their an extra charge for the new italian ? I LUV Italian food....lol.... I was on the Freedom at they didn't have much pasta. The pizza was HORRIBLE.....they used a gooey mozzarella substance still don't know what they used...it was horrible...

Its on Dream class, but only Magic and Breeze have the Pay Italian at night. All Dream class have the FREE Italian for lunch I hear is very good .. but the night feature for $12 is not on Dream.

Only Magic and Breeze have the rope course and only Magic and Breeze have the Red Frog Pub as well .. so a lot of extra goodies were added to these two ships.

Free for lunch time on all Dream class .. pay $12 pp for dinner on Magic and Breeze.

MagicPreview034.jpg

I haven't cruises as many as most people on here, but the one thing I miss was the free fruit punch. I can ask them to make it at the bar, and they do,for a price it's just not everywhere like it used to be. That said, now that I have to pay for it, my stomach likes me better.:o

My kids miss the fruit punch too.

Archived