New to Celebrity - Dress Code ?

Patybear

Hi, We have just booked our 1st Celebrity cruise on the Equinox. Sailing on the 16th of November out of Civitavechia for 10 days. We have been loyal RCCL cruiser which will allow us to be considered Elite. We have booked an Aqua class cabin and are looking forward to all the perks especially Blu. I have a question regarding the dress code. Are jeans and a polo shirt acceptable in Blu? We really don't enjoy dressing up - on formal night we would usually go to buffet but if we do go to service dining we would dress as required. On the Mediterranean cruises we have always been so exhausted after a long day of sight seeing we really do not feel like getting all fancied up. I can find something that would fit the smart casual definition but husband is just more confortable in jeans. I have heard great things about Celebrity and am hoping we will not feel too out of place. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Smart Casual every night. While this does include nice, neat jeans with no holes or tears, etc., most men will be more in khakis/Dockers type slacks and shirts - polos, short sleeve collared shirts or long sleeve more business type shirts. For formal nights, in Blu, the dress code still is smart casual and yes, clean, neat jeans would be fine. He would be somewhat underdressed though - even for Blu. On formal nights in Blu, lots of gentlemen dress up a bit more - anywhere from tuxedos (few) to sport coats and ties, just to be more in the spirit of "formal", although it is not the code for Blu.

So - while yes, jeans would be OK, most men, especially on formal night, are more dressed up than that - slacks/khakis, etc. My husband wears jeans in Blu quite frequently (black and darker blue), but formal night, he loves to bust out the tux and play James Bond.

Hope that helps - I am sure more folks will chime in (and correct me if I am wrong!)

Our experience in Blu and the specialty restaurants is that while formal attire is not required on formal nights, as it is in the MDR, that a good number of guests do wear formal wear. But at the same time not everyone dresses formally in these dining rooms since it is not required. So you would not feel alone and shouldn't feel out of place.

While my own personal preference is to dress up on formal nights the fact that some dress smart casual doesn't bother me since it is within the official dress code.

The official dress code for men is Smart Casual and Above and for men this is a minimum of: "Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves". There is nothing prohibiting jeans and the requirement that shirts have sleeves prohibits only sleeveless shirts for men - short sleeve shirts are just fine.

As others have said, BLU is Smart Casual every night. I personally didn't see many jeans, clean or otherwise, in BLU, mainly slacks and shirts. And yup, on formal night, the majority did dress up more. But that is certainly not required and I doubt you will feel out of place at all. Don't worry about it.

I noticed you said you'd be too tired after a long day in port, and don't want to fancy up. Completely understand. But I bet you'll freshen up and part of that for me is to change into something I haven't worn all day and less heavy that jeans. Even in November, the ports can be warm and I get into something else to enjoy the dining experience and the rest of the night! Doesn't have to be 'formal'.

Have fun. You are on a great ship and I bet you have a great time!

Den

Follow up question to Lsimon. Did you say formal wear is strictly adhered to in the MDR or is smart casual okay in the MDR. The extent for formal for me in other cruise lines has been long sleeve polo with tie and nice slacks.

This past spring we did a pair of B2B cruises in an Aqua Class cabin. Our experiences in Blu were similar to those of other posters. In the evenings most men in Blu were wore nice pants or khakis, with a few in nice jeans. Even though the dress code in Blu and other specialty restaurants is smart casual every night, on formal nights passengers in Blu dressed as if they were dining in the MDR. On formal nights in Blu most men wore tuxes, dinner jackets or dark suits, while most women wore glittery, sparkly dresses.

Occasionally I've heard confusion regarding formal nights on Celebrity -- there seems to be the misconception that formal nights are only for the "posh" or specialty restaurants. It is the MDR which adheres to formal attire on formal nights. I've seen the Maitre d's both provide jackets to men on formal nights in the MDR and turn away people dressed too casually.

Hi, We have just booked our 1st Celebrity cruise on the Equinox. Sailing on the 16th of November out of Civitavechia for 10 days. We have been loyal RCCL cruiser which will allow us to be considered Elite. We have booked an Aqua class cabin and are looking forward to all the perks especially Blu. I have a question regarding the dress code. Are jeans and a polo shirt acceptable in Blu? We really don't enjoy dressing up - on formal night we would usually go to buffet but if we do go to service dining we would dress as required. On the Mediterranean cruises we have always been so exhausted after a long day of sight seeing we really do not feel like getting all fancied up. I can find something that would fit the smart casual definition but husband is just more confortable in jeans. I have heard great things about Celebrity and am hoping we will not feel too out of place. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Hi Patybear,

There are many dress code threads on this Forum. The following, are links to recent threads :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1658904

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655926

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1649187

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1581100

Additionally, here's a link to Celebrity's website, which provides information on their dress codes : http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

I hope this is helpful. Have a wonderful time on Equinox. This thread is now closed.

Archived