Should we cruise to Hawaii?

neverbeenhere

We cruised round trip in Dec. one year. I would describe the seas as "rolling", not rough , but rolling - every day. There was motion and you knew you were at sea, but I wouldn't describe it as rough.

Thanks for the info. Truthfully, rolling is much worse than rough as far as getting sick. Had that on my last cruise. We were in a corner aft Sky Suite that we got with a guarantee. BEAUTIFUL room. Our first (and due to cost probably our last) Sky Suite ever. Unfortunately there was alot of rolling on that cruise which we really felt in that cabin. I guess if I ever decide to give it a go I definitely would only do it with a mid-ship, lower floor cabin.

My opinion of a cruise to Hawaii is that it is a cruise to be chosen if your primary desire is to spend alot of time at sea, with a few nice port stops in the middle of the trip. It might be good for getting a taste of what Hawaii offers, but you already have that. If cruising is your primary objective and you like time at sea, pick the Hawaii cruise. If seeing the rest of Hawaii is your objective, IMHO fly there and island hop to a couple of different islands.

Unlike a previous poster, rough seas are exactly something I do NOT want. I have a tendency towards seasickness. I love days at sea but am concerned that if the water is rough and I have five days of cruising ahead of me without a break I may find myself ready to jump overboard. One person already gave info on their experience. To others who have done this - how did you find the seas and what month did you cruise there? I know there are no guarantees but wondering what I can expect based on average conditions.

Only the first two days and the last two days could "possibly" have some rough seas. We find that that a R/T Hawaii cruise is wonderful. Leisurely sea days to completely unwind, and then seeing the islands and experiencing some great excursions or just have lunch at a favorite restaurant is wonderful. And after all that...more relaxing sea days before coming home. It's one of our favorite cruises.

Boy, If you know of a one way cruise to Hawaii we here in Hawaii would love to hear about it.... As far a I know there are none..zip. I would love the option of avoiding the commuter plane to LA from Kona...:D

Second flying island to island is expensive and you can expect one way fare over $100 pp. which is crazy like Kona to Maui..75 miles, $89 to 140,

Or Honolulu to Hilo, $135pp:eek:

From experience, each time you change islands you loose almost all that day with check out of the condo/hotel, drive, check in the airport, security, fly, get baggage, go get car, drive to hotel/condo chalk up 5 to 6 hour of time. In a 14 day period where you island hop just once, you loose 3 days and spend $200+pp in air fare in addition to your flight over.

The savings in airfare departing from California can almost equal the cruie fare.

Weather, is pretty contant witn a 6 degree variant summer to winter You can count on low 72 to high 86 pretty much every day with short rain periods on the east side of every island. The rain period in more from April to October, and winters mostly very dry

• 2 weeks later...
Boy, If you know of a one way cruise to Hawaii we here in Hawaii would love to hear about it.... As far a I know there are none..zip. I would love the option of avoiding the commuter plane to LA from Kona...:D

Second flying island to island is expensive and you can expect one way fare over $100 pp. which is crazy like Kona to Maui..75 miles, $89 to 140,

Or Honolulu to Hilo, $135pp:eek:

From experience, each time you change islands you loose almost all that day with check out of the condo/hotel, drive, check in the airport, security, fly, get baggage, go get car, drive to hotel/condo chalk up 5 to 6 hour of time. In a 14 day period where you island hop just once, you loose 3 days and spend $200+pp in air fare in addition to your flight over.

The savings in airfare departing from California can almost equal the cruie fare.

Weather, is pretty contant witn a 6 degree variant summer to winter You can count on low 72 to high 86 pretty much every day with short rain periods on the east side of every island. The rain period in more from April to October, and winters mostly very dry

Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival all do one ways. Look for them around the start and end of the Alaska Season

We have made two cruises to Hawaii and loved them both. The time to relax before you get there and before you return home is a plus and there were plenty of onboard activities. We have done a Spring cruise and a Fall cruise and both times, other than the first couple of days out from California and the last couple coming back, the weather was great and we had no rough seas.

Archived