Cancelled Ports

sjmbruce

I'm sensing some hostility here! I obviously realize a hotel is not a ship. I know that things happen. I did not indicate that I would - nor would I ever - run around the ship being cranky, angry, or demanding money back. I would however be sad and disappointed.... has anyone ever been elated that a port was cancelled?

Thank you to everyone who provided useful information and personal experiences. I don't think I could visit all the countries I am going to on my Panama Canal cruise by doing a traditional vacation. So I am going to do some research on weather and cross my fingers!

Thanks for coming back with a reply. I think the tone of your original post might have been taken wrong or at least to mean more than you intended.

Many of us have experienced someone getting totally outraged and overreact to some of the most minor problems. Missing a port is not so minor, but it does happen occasionally. On your particular cruise, perhaps never? Certainly not often.

As a first time cruiser, relax, have a great time and try not to prejudge anything based on what you might read on this board. There is some great information here, but also some wildly varying opinions. Try to separate those out and form your own instead.

A Panama Canal cruise is on my bucket list also, perhaps next year. This year it is the Mediterranean for us!

My wife and I were on a Hawaii cruise that had to skip both Kauai and Maui due to bad weather. Princess gave every passenger a $250 voucher to use on a future cruise. I thought it was a very nice gesture on their part. Plus, they scheduled a full day of activities for those new sea days.

Edited by Jasperdo

Is that old bucket still around? That's the last time we sailed NCL; in 1993.

Old bucket? Yeah I suppose so. She's now the SuperStar Aquarius. Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperStar_Aquarius

We (that's you and I) may have passed her in the night during our Singapore to Vancouver cruise back in the Spring.

Its sister, the Dream is joining Star Cruises too.

We cruised the Wind when it was the Windward as well.

You know you've been cruising for some time when many of the ships on your list have been sent to the breakers!

OP, You mentioned being pretty upset, sad and disappointed. If you really think missing one or two ports would "ruin" your cruise, you should rethink. For example, recently I had booked a New Zealand/ Australia cruise on a tight budget where I could not afford much land time before or after. I later realized if I missed a couple of ports or had lots of bad weather I would not have enjoyed my trip so I have cancelled until I can go for a longer period of time where even some bad weather would not "ruin" the entire trip.

Many cruisers set themselves up. Folks who plan a wedding onshore at one of the ports are a good example. The ship can be late, shorten the stop, or miss the port entirely. the ship will not refund the money prepaid in such a case.

Now that you understand that no port is guaranteed you can decide. By the way, I've done the canal twice and it is wonderful. But some of the ports can be iffy, Acupulco and Cartegena are two that can be challenging.

Edited by happy cruzer

I would however be sad and disappointed.... has anyone ever been elated that a port was cancelled?

Yes! Our last Princess cruise in April we couldn't dock at Princess Cays , due to high wind and waves. Since it was pouring rain we were elated because we motored on to sunshine and arrived in Curacao several hours ahead of schedule. (I have been the "victim" of several missed ports over 7 or so cruises which is hilarious because I am an over-planner, and of course that's what you get when you try to organize things).

I did a quick estimation of how many ports have been scheduled on our ten cruises and I came up with 31 ports. We missed pnly one of them, Kona, due to high waves, so the captain felt it was unsafe to tender there. Yes, we were disappointed (especially so when the port was taken off of the itinerary a couple of years later). But we understood this comes with this type of vacation. I don't know if we ever got the port fees (which was not too much anyway) refunded (the credit may have been on the final day accounting, and my hubby didn't notice). That would have been the only compensation as it would have been covered by the cruise contract. I imagine the couple who were planning to get married in Kona probably weren't happy campers, but that just illustrates the perils of having definite plans like that.

As others have said, if you miss a port, Princess will immediately cancel any excursions you've booked and you won't pay anything. We didn't have anything planned for the missed port, but within an hour, a revised Patters with a slate of activities was placed in each cabin.

Yes! Our last Princess cruise in April we couldn't dock at Princess Cays , due to high wind and waves. Since it was pouring rain we were elated because we motored on to sunshine and arrived in Curacao several hours ahead of schedule. (I have been the "victim" of several missed ports over 7 or so cruises which is hilarious because I am an over-planner, and of course that's what you get when you try to organize things).

You missed Princess Cays? Horrors! :eek: Heck, I could miss that stop permanently and never think twice. ;)

Two years ago, we were planning a Med trip that would go to Istanbul as we had already been to most of the other places in that area. While researching, the Ruby Princess canceled their stop at Istanbul BEFORE the shipped even sailed but AFTER final payment. For that reason, we booked our first Celebrity cruise this past May to stop in Istanbul. We loved Celebrity! This was after 4 Princess cruises that we liked also. We could not take the chance of missing Istanbul for no reason (could not have been weather or mechanical Before sailing!)

I don't think I could visit all the countries I am going to on my Panama Canal cruise by doing a traditional vacation. So I am going to do some research on weather and cross my fingers![/size][/font]

Well, really, if you want to visit countries, a cruise, especially a multi-country cruise, may not be the best way to do it, not unless you think of six or eight hours sightseeing in a port town as "visiting a country." I've been on two Canal cuises, and my "visiting Aruba" has consisted of seeing the main commercial drag of Oranjestaad and hanging out on a beautiful beach. Very pleasant, but "getting to know Aruba?" Maybe not. And while it was great to spend a day wandering around Cartagena, it was "visiting Colombia" the way spending a day in Fort Lauderdale would count as "visiting the USA."

That's not to say you can't see some great stuff on port days. But if there's a country you really want to get to know - and not just be in for a day, and then check off - you really shouldn't count on doing it on a cruise.

• 2 years later...
Well, really, if you want to visit countries, a cruise, especially a multi-country cruise, may not be the best way to do it, not unless you think of six or eight hours sightseeing in a port town as "visiting a country." I've been on two Canal cuises, and my "visiting Aruba" has consisted of seeing the main commercial drag of Oranjestaad and hanging out on a beautiful beach. Very pleasant, but "getting to know Aruba?" Maybe not. And while it was great to spend a day wandering around Cartagena, it was "visiting Colombia" the way spending a day in Fort Lauderdale would count as "visiting the USA."

That's not to say you can't see some great stuff on port days. But if there's a country you really want to get to know - and not just be in for a day, and then check off - you really shouldn't count on doing it on a cruise.

However, it MAY be an excellent way to get introduced to a town or city -- then come back on a future (perhaps land-based) trip (or trips) to re-visit the places you want to explore further.

On the recent San Francisco - Vancouver cruise I took (Grand Princess, May 2014), the stop at Astoria, Oregon had to be skipped (due to an overly-strong current, I believe). Astoria rarely gets cruise ships, and it may have been more of a disappointment to the residents of the town (who might have appreciated the extra business) than to the cruisers. Of course, I would like to visit Astoria sometime, but perhaps it will be by land rather than by sea. ;) I did not receive any port fee refund for the missed stop.

Booked a major portion of a World Cruise to see some sites that would not normally be visited. Ship left Southampton on time only to spend the better part of a week going in and out of the English Channel. Drinks were on the "house" but never got any further. OK for us but daughters, had to "bid" for their vacations and had to get home at a specific time. P&O paid for our airfare, both ways and refunded all our monies paid. Actually got 7 days credit for our Captains Circle status-I mean, who could ask for anything more;)

Ships are mechanical and like a car, can experience problems. However, unlike your car, the ship's engines are constantly being maintained and minor problem fixed before they become bigger problems. The bank of monitors and sensor displays in the engine control room is something to see.

Ultimately, the Captain is responsible for the safety of a multi-million $ ship and thousands of people. I always keep that in mind when there's a port change or cancelation. He knows more than I do. It's that simple.

Exactly. Well stated Pam.

I am paying for a professional experience on a ship. I would respect and trust the decision of the captain if he/she felt it unsafe. They are the professionals and I am a passenger. This is what I am paying for. Cruising to experience the sights and sounds of a ship and the ocean. If its not safe, then its not.

We have missed several ports due to weather and did not get compensated; nor did we expect to. One time we missed two ports on our Med cruise on the Grand due to two engines failed and received $400 each as a credit on our account.

Two years ago, we were planning a Med trip that would go to Istanbul as we had already been to most of the other places in that area. While researching, the Ruby Princess canceled their stop at Istanbul BEFORE the shipped even sailed but AFTER final payment. For that reason, we booked our first Celebrity cruise this past May to stop in Istanbul. We loved Celebrity! This was after 4 Princess cruises that we liked also. We could not take the chance of missing Istanbul for no reason (could not have been weather or mechanical Before sailing!)

Could well have been political unrest. That is another reason for cancelling a port. One of which I am in favour. : )

"Multi-million" dollar ship is actually a gross understatement. It costs HUNDREDS of millions to build these cruise ships. It is common for it to cost around 500 million = half a billion dollars to build just one. That, and the lives of thousands of people (passengers & crew) just on a single ship, is an enormous responsibility. I never want to second-guess the captain & crew! (Not saying that they are infallible, they are certainly human, but I have to trust their decisions, up to the point where it becomes obvious that I cannot.)

We were on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston. The ship had a Noro problem and on the way to Belize the captain announced that there was a fog warning for the day we were due back in Houston.

We immediately beat feet for Houston and missed Belize.

When we got to Houston there were TV cameras making a big deal out of the Noro on the ship.

We were refunded the port fees plus $$ for the missed port. We ended up with more OBC than we left with. :D:D

That took the sting out of the missed port.

Hi sjmbruce

It does happen but is usually an isolated happening, like the others said, in all the sailings over many years I have had only one missed port and one where we should have missed.

On one when there was a horrible storm after we docked, wind and rain was blowing sideways and it was nearly impossible to even stand. We got off and got right back on. Is was in Martinique and so yes I was sad, but you cannot control the weather or the sea.

The second happened just on our last cruise, the thrusters were not working properly and we could not get into Vancouver harbor to dock, it was however a short port call so not a huge deal. Princess was quick to add evening entertainment to keep us all happy and everyone was laughing about it really, making funny jokes about the Captain breaking his thruster.

The important thing to remember is the Captain has to protect everyone and that lovely ship, so weather, mechanical issues or even unrest in the port you are calling on may pre-empt a port call. Sometime bad things happen to cruise ships, and they just do not work as intended. Cruise lines are almost always very fair with compensation for really bad issues....

The hardest issue for some is for redirecting or cancelling plans you may have made for a port excursion not with the cruise line. That also is a risk you take and so bear in mind checking or asking about those companies cancellation policies, prior to booking a non cruise line shore excursion.

I have always been an optimistic traveler. It is more fun and if something happens I can deal with it. In the grand scheme of things those cruise lines want you to come back and spend more money. They do an amazing job, and have provided me years of memories.

You can easily spot the grumpy fearful folk on board, that complain about the least little thing, the sun, rain, cold, (Yes I have heard people whine about the cold while watching glaciers calve it is ridiculous!), the sea (heard people complaining about high seas during hurricane season ( you picked this time to go really did you not even consider this?), the food (if you are that picky fork out the money and choose a luxury line or better yet do not go) , poor conditions on ship like Norovirus, how dated or tired the ship is, how crowded it is...Some people are just never happy.

Me..I am away from home, on a fun adventure, seeing new places, I have a bed and food and my family with me. I am happy. Lucky there are many more of us than the grouches, willing to go and have these experiences and most time the grumps are easy to ignore.

Read your contracts, know what you can change and what you cannot, plan enough to make things fun and then just go and relax....

Edited by TheCruisingBrewers

On the Grand Asia cruise we missed the port of Shanghai due to weather (although they also were experiencing Avian flu and 15,000 slaughtered pigs thrown into the river as well). Everyone was dissapointed but because it was last minute, everyone was dressed and waiting in the common areas. We had the best time sitting around chatting etc. To compensate the captain arranged for us to have a second day in Hong Kong instead of a sea day. Hindsight we probably had more fun plus I really felt better knowing safety came first. I never underestimate the responsibility of the captain. He has to deal with weather conditions, political climates, cranky passengers, crew issues, etc. I could never see as many things on a land tour as I do on a cruise, if I miss one once in awhile I try to remember all the fabulous ports I would have never chose to visit on a land tour, that are kind of "thrown in" like Kusadasi, Istanbul, Talinn, etc.

Visiting ports can be fun--even exciting--but if they don't work out, they don't work out. It happens and the best we an do is relax and enjoy our extra time on the ship.

There is certainly nothing to be gained by being upset--it is what it is.

I agree.

Sjmbruce,

Yes, missing ports can be disappointing, but, as you have read, it can happen for a variety of reasons.

Cruise critic is a wonderful source of info on almost every aspect of cruising. Many of the members who respond to questions are kind and welcoming but some take a the "critic" part a bit too far. I take what's good from this forum and ignore what's not. I hope you will continue to use cc as the great resource it is.

Sjmbruce,

Yes, missing ports can be disappointing, but, as you have read, it can happen for a variety of reasons.

Cruise critic is a wonderful source of info on almost every aspect of cruising. Many of the members who respond to questions are kind and welcoming but some take a the "critic" part a bit too far. I take what's good from this forum and ignore what's not. I hope you will continue to use cc as the great resource it is.

Well said and I totally agree!

After 50 cruises (26 with Princess), you might be interested in some of the reasons we've missed a port:

• Weather - winds, seas, fog
  • Dock repairs
  • Tsunami aftermath
  • Hurricane in the North Atlantic
  • Political (Ushuaia, Argentina because we'd called on the Falkland Islands)
  • Ship mechanical problems (A/C once and engine once - both in Hawaii)

And it always seems to be the one port you were most looking forward to visiting - but that's all part of cruising. It was very unsettling in the early years but it doesn't faze us today. We know what's ahead when the captain comes on the PA system ship-wide and says, 'Ladies and gentlemen I hate to interrupt but there's something you should know...'. The CD's usually scramble to add additional activities and movies and you have yet another Relaxing Day at Sea.

The best part is: you have an excuse to schedule another cruise with the missed port(s) in your itinerary!

First time cruiser here!

I have read a few posts from people on cruises that didn't make it to the scheduled ports. Some missed only one port due to water conditions or issues at the port. One cruiser said most of the ports were cancelled due to engine troubles with the ship.

My question is, does Princess offer any compensation for missed ports?

I am treating my upcoming cruise as more of a floating hotel and would be pretty upset if even one port was missed, let alone most or all of them.

Thanks!

We were on the Crown TA last October. The Captain made a decision to stay in Southampton for 2 and half days. It was disappointing because we ended missing 3 ports---Le Harve,Vigo and Ponta Delaga. A hurricane was headed our way. Ended changing to a Tropical Depression. Princess had frees shuttles available for 2 days in Southampton. The newspapers had front page stories about the storm and all the damage it caused along the coast. I felt truly sorry for the elderly veterans who missed their tours to the Normandy Beaches. We ended up staying in Lisbon for 2 days. They refunded the port charges as expected.

We received a letter from Princess advising us we would be getting a Goodwill credit of 50 % of what we had paid for our present cruise to a future cruise.

This was above anything we expected. Captain McCharming made the right choice to keep us and the ship safe.

We will be using our credit on the Royal for a 20 day Caribbean cruise in November.