The "hump"?

jpr1908

We had our first hump balcony this past April on the Freedom. My husband loved the location. The view was great. Could see the whole length of the ship. We booked the Independence of the Seas and will have the exact same room. We were fortunate enough to be able to get a center hump. Enjoy.

Thank you!!! I have long been wondering about the hump but didn't want to ask for fear it was a dumb question.

The photos explained it perfectly. :)

Ditto! I was so afraid to ask, too! Thanks, Ander026. Helped tremendously.

Thanks to the OP for asking this question! I had wondered the same thing. Thanks everyone for the responses (and pictures)- so helpful!

My question now is, how do you go about booking a hump cabin? How do you know which cabins fall into this category so that you could specifically request one? Thanks!!

Thanks to the OP for asking this question! I had wondered the same thing. Thanks everyone for the responses (and pictures)- so helpful!

My question now is, how do you go about booking a hump cabin? How do you know which cabins fall into this category so that you could specifically request one? Thanks!!

We try to book a hump balcony cabin for most cruises if we can snag one. You'll need to go to the ship's deck plans on Royal Caribbean's website, and take note of the cabin numbers and categories. When booking over the phone, ask for those specific cabin numbers. :)

We stayed in a hump cabin on the Mariner and it was awesome. It was also our first balcony, so that helped. :) We were with two other couples and we all had rooms next to each other on the hump. if we leaned out to talk to each other, we also had an awesome view.

We will be doing an aft-facing balcony on our upcoming cruise, and so I'm anxious to see how the two compare. People looking down on our balcony won't be an issue because the aft is straight up and down. (I'm sure there's a more technical term but I don't know it). :)

Am I to understand that the balcony on a hump cabin is larger than others? Specifically, deck 8, center hump, cat E2?

It may be a larger balcony depending on the ship and on the location of your cabin within the 'hump' section. See photo below of our 'hump' cabin 8102 on Jewel of the Seas. As you get closer to the center of the hump, the balcony size will be closer in size to a standard balcony somewhere else on the ship. I believe the Radiance Class ships are the ones with larger balconies at the end of the 'hump' areas.

99096097_Cabin8102BalconyJOS.jpg.58df367f51d337e43b9f4c3978b1bb38.jpg

They are cabins on ships on the curved section. Not all ships have "humps". The ones a the midpoint on the curve have a great view of the front and back of the ship. We're in our first hump cabin next March.

I find them especially enjoyable on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, Hope you enjoy it. My sole reason is for the view on the balcony For us, ideal is center hump, 1 deck between me and the pool deck.

We always try to book center hump on decks 9 or 10 if available!! Best rooms on the ship.. Location is the key word for us!

Earl & Kathy

I would assume that an end hump cabin is not as good as a center hump cabin and you would not have as good a view. Correct?

I would assume that an end hump cabin is not as good as a center hump cabin and you would not have as good a view. Correct?

Jane,

I've had both type hump cabins on Explorer of the Seas (9618 center hump and 9628 end hump). In my opinion it's maybe a slightly better view of the ship and possibly the balcony is slightly larger but both are wonderful cabins. You won't go wrong having any of the hump cabins.

How do you know if you have one of those rooms???

You would need to go to the ship profile on royal's website, and pull up the deck plans. Search for your cabin in the plans. You have hump cabin if your balcony cabin is in the area that bulges out in the center of the ship.

We have read these boards for a couple of years now. Have always heard about the "hump" cabins. We finally booked our first hump cabin on FOS for next May. We were able to get 7638, which is the center hump. If anyone has any pictures or can tell us about this room, it would be great.

We always try to book center hump on decks 9 or 10 if available!! Best rooms on the ship.. Location is the key word for us!

Earl & Kathy

I am afraid that this is really misleading information, these are terrible staterooms ....... everybody needs to book elsewhere. I should know, I had my first hump this summer. Of course when I am booking my next (and any subsequent) cruise I will make the sacrifice and be certain to book one of these absolutely rubbish rooms so that no other cruiser has to suffer the experience.

Pass the word around - tell everyone to avoid these rooms ;):D:D

We'll be in center hump cabin 9320 on Navigator. Good choice, I presume? :D

We'll be in the same location two floors down in 7320 on the Navigator Oct 27, 2013 so I am also interested to know if it's a good choice. I had a center hump cabin on Oasis and absolutely loved it. I also had one on Freedom that was next to the corner hump, "behind" the center and it also had great views. You could see forward and aft, just more ocean than ship.

24224d1265081243-hump-cabins-pros-cons-2006-05-21-serenade-325.jpg

humpcabintouchedup.jpg

On the Voyager class ships, the hump balconies are no larger than a side balcony. It's the convenience of location that's the draw!

On the Radiance class ships, some of the hump balconies do have deeper balconies--the ones at the beginning and end of the hump. The center humps are standard size balconies.

1. Location, convenience to the stairs and elevators. No noise

2. The view.

3. You can see clear to the front and back of the ship.

4. You can see straight down to the water.

5. Total privacy on your balcony because you stick out further from

the ship than the other cabins.

6. The balconies on the middle of the hump cabins are not usually larger. Only the

cabins on the ends of the humps usually have the bigger balconies.

8318.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1643615&highlight=voyager there are a pile of photos of the junior suite 9614 on the voyager of the seas. Loved the hump for the following reasons, it was very close to the elevators (not that I used them that much) and the stairs. Being on the 9th floor just a couple up to easily get to breakfast. It was really quite. We didn't have any problems with noise in the corridor and didn't even bump into our neighbours once on the cruise. (they must both have been very quiet). At one stage I did hear the piano from the Royal suite playing upstairs, but that wasn't an issue, and was on the balcony at the time.

Having a forward view did mean at times it could get slightly windy on the balcony, but was really too hot for me too spend too much time on it anyway. Looking forward to the Explorer in Feb where I get to have a standard balcony next door in 9612 :)

Well it all depends on your idea of a good view. We've enjoyed all of our hump rooms..The center is a bit more windy but the balcony and the room is a little larger. We feel the center best!

Earl & Kathy

I am afraid that this is really misleading information, these are terrible staterooms ....... everybody needs to book elsewhere. I should know, I had my first hump this summer. Of course when I am booking my next (and any subsequent) cruise I will make the sacrifice and be certain to book one of these absolutely rubbish rooms so that no other cruiser has to suffer the experience.

Pass the word around - tell everyone to avoid these rooms ;):D:D

Sorry but I'm not going to bite on this one!:D

Earl & Kathy

We have read these boards for a couple of years now. Have always heard about the "hump" cabins. We finally booked our first hump cabin on FOS for next May. We were able to get 7638, which is the center hump. If anyone has any pictures or can tell us about this room, it would be great.

We were on the FOS this past April and had 6640 center hump, just one floor down and to your left. This was our first experience with a hump cabin. It was an E2 catagory cabin. The size of the room was fine. Standard size balcony, great view. The location by the elevators and stairs were fantastic. We are booked in the same cabin on the Independence of the Seas. Hope this helps.

Archived