Second camera body

Rebel54

Would you, if you have more than one body, take both on a cruise? I rented a super telephoto from Borrowlenses.com and was thinking about possibly taking my second camera body so I can have a wide or regular prime on one and the super telephoto on the other. I'm just a little worried about if I would actually use it and if it would be worth the extra bulk of a second DSLR camera w/lens on it.

Depends on the cruise, and how much changing lenses you'd anticipate. I have 2 Canon full frame DSLRs as well as an APS-C. Since I shoot a lot more wider angle than telephoto--I usually just bring one full frame, and take the vast majority of my pictures with my 24-105 lens (although I also bring/use my 17-35 and/or 15mm fisheye). If I were going on a cruise where I would be taking a lot of telephoto shots, I'd probably bring my APS-C along and put my 70-200 (or longer) lens on it--not only to avoid changing lenses, but because the APS-C adds 60% to the length of my lens.

If both camera bodies were the same format, I'd probably just bring one body--and change lenses.

I do bring two bodies along when I cruise, however, I do not take two DSLR bodies. I likely wouldn't come up with many situations where I'd need to carry two bodies on me with urgent need to shoot enough to justify the weight and bulk of two bodies, so likely I would just bring the other lenses and make the switch on the same body.

I purchased a mirrorless camera body with one of the main purposes of being able to bring a much smaller, lightweight body alongside my DSLR...I'll keep a fast prime, a short zoom, or a specific focal range on the mirrorless as a backup body to my DSLR, and either keep it in a small bag or even on a belt holster if I'm in a relatively safe area of the world...while the DSLR mostly stays in my hands.

It's much easier to justify two bodies if one is much smaller and lighter, and I can think of more occasions that are worth bringing two bodies along in this scenario - when my choice was to have two DSLR bodies along, there were less occasions when I felt it was necessary, such as when I go birding or wildlife shooting...otherwise, I'd usually just opt for one body, multiple lenses. With the mirrorless now, I often carry two cameras, each with mostly non-overlapping lenses.

Personally I love the flexibility of having two focal ranges hand a wide one and a tele. Only you can decide if the bulk/cost of having two cameras is worth it.

These days I've settled on one very high end body and one mirrorless. I'm looking to pick up another used body so I can go same ergo for when I know I will switch often and repeatidly.

For vacation shooting is a big camera two lenses and a mirrorless/compact

Would you, if you have more than one body, take both on a cruise? I rented a super telephoto from Borrowlenses.com and was thinking about possibly taking my second camera body so I can have a wide or regular prime on one and the super telephoto on the other. I'm just a little worried about if I would actually use it and if it would be worth the extra bulk of a second DSLR camera w/lens on it.

My bodies are interchangeable with my lenses. I have an Olympus E5 and an E3. The body itself isn't TOO bad weight wise since I don't have a battery grip on it.

Thanks for the input guys. Much to think about.

My bodies are interchangeable with my lenses. I have an Olympus E5 and an E3. The body itself isn't TOO bad weight wise since I don't have a battery grip on it.

Thanks for the input guys. Much to think about.

That left behind second body won't capture images by itself, so as long as you are comfortable dealing with the added weight and any security concerns, then take it.

Archived