Rude Passengers

Jane2357

I love to cruise (always with my dd or girlfriends, sisters) but after finally getting dh to try it a few years ago (on Solstice) - he wasn't a big fan. My mistake was booking a New Year's sailing and the ship was full and over run with children and teenagers - it left from Ft Lauderdale and many of the passengers were rude - taking children into the adult pool, saving ROWS of seats at the shows, cutting in lines - it wasn't very relaxing. It didn't ruin our cruise but it didn't lend itself to dh loving the cruise which I was hoping for - lesson learned - no holiday cruises.

I've convinced him to give it another try and I selected the cruise for the Port of Grenada - I've been and loved it. My question and concern stems from the fact that the last time I cruised (with Celebrity) out of San Juan - they had perhaps had too many unsold cabins that went VERY CHEAP, last minute to locals, not sure but guessing? It made the ship EXTREMELY full and many (not all) were very rude. As in they would walk 3 across down the hallway and YOU better move out of their way. Throwing trash in the hallways, etc. Once in Ports - we then noticed that the vast majority of them did not EVER leave the ship. Once again - I still had a great time but it does leave a bad taste.

Has anyone ever had this experience out of San Juan? My dh is going to give cruising one more try and if this is an on going problem maybe I should switch itineraries.

I would recommend cruising the first 2 weeks of December. Cruise fares and air fares are lower and the number of families and kids is minimal.

We did the Summit out of San Juan in December 2010 and there was one large group of locals. Only rude behavior I witnessed was waiting in line to get in to the cruise terminal and at the chocolate buffet.

We were in a suite and ate mostly in Normandie so perhaps my experience wasn't the norm.

Remember, rudeness knows no national boundaries!!!!

Also, I often noticed a lot of bargains for sailings out of San Juan. So this could happen to you again. I would also look for a longer itenerary or/and cruising out of Florida when there are no holidays.

If you are looking for an older demographic which at least grants some reduced noice level, I would assume New England and Alaska Cruises as well as longer Caribbean and Panama Cruises to be appropriate.

You need to cruise when most children are on vacation, take a longer cruise and/or off season if you want to avoid a lot of young children.

Agree! And we learned that lesson well. But 7 nights is the max we can cruise at this point in our lives (dh's job). So the question really is the issue I had out of San Juan. Is it a common thing?

I love to cruise (always with my dd or girlfriends, sisters) but after finally getting dh to try it a few years ago (on Solstice) - he wasn't a big fan. My mistake was booking a New Year's sailing and the ship was full and over run with children and teenagers - it left from Ft Lauderdale and many of the passengers were rude - taking children into the adult pool, saving ROWS of seats at the shows, cutting in lines - it wasn't very relaxing. It didn't ruin our cruise but it didn't lend itself to dh loving the cruise which I was hoping for - lesson learned - no holiday cruises.

I've convinced him to give it another try and I selected the cruise for the Port of Grenada - I've been and loved it. My question and concern stems from the fact that the last time I cruised (with Celebrity) out of San Juan - they had perhaps had too many unsold cabins that went VERY CHEAP, last minute to locals, not sure but guessing? It made the ship EXTREMELY full and many (not all) were very rude. As in they would walk 3 across down the hallway and YOU better move out of their way. Throwing trash in the hallways, etc. Once in Ports - we then noticed that the vast majority of them did not EVER leave the ship. Once again - I still had a great time but it does leave a bad taste.

Has anyone ever had this experience out of San Juan? My dh is going to give cruising one more try and if this is an on going problem maybe I should switch itineraries.

We generally book two week cruises and see few children.

While rudeness is not restricted to the younger generation, I find people more polite in the older generation.

I think crudity and lack of decorum has mushroomed in recent decades. Our society is less polite and more in your face.

Also, notice nationality can be a factor. American, Canadians, Australians and British seem to be more polite that some Europeans. Further, people from large cities are not as polite as people from the Midwest or South.

Still, we haven't run into many rude people on our cruises, and we cruise in the Med and Caribbean.

Although many people have had good results sailing from San Juan, our experience was the worst of all our cruises. Our sailing was heavily discounted for local residents and loud families with free running children completely disrupted the normal cruise experience. This is one departure port that we refuse to revisit.

You need to take him on a Celebrity cruise out of Seattle to see Alaska. When school is in season. Or do a longer cruise. The 7 days out of MIA/FLL/SJU can get pretty lively. My 2cents.

I am not against lively - that is ME at times, LOL. But that cruise out of San Juan was MOSTLY locals to the point that many (and yes - fellow cruisers were expressing the same opinion) felt that we English speaking customers were not treated as well. I'm trying to say this nicely without offending anyone but there was trash thrown every where, buffets so messed up that you didn't want to eat it, etc. I partied on like always and hoped this was a one time occurance.

How anyone sailed out of San Juan lately (we are on Summit March '13) to let me know if this is the norm?

Although many people have had good results sailing from San Juan, our experience was the worst of all our cruises. Our sailing was heavily discounted for local residents and loud families with free running children completely disrupted the normal cruise experience. This is one departure port that we refuse to revisit.

THIS IS EXACTLY what was I was asking and now sadly - I'm going to cancel this cruise. I CAN'T go through it again. Guess it is back to the drawing board.

I cruised out of San Jaun in June on RCCL. Yes their were quite a few locals with children. However, I never felt they were rude or in my way. The parents seemed to have them well under control. Be advised though that I am a high school teacher:eek:

Well that was quick! Painful though (my first sky suite - sob) and I just can't chance this happening again. Celebrity asked why and I told them nicely - Vacation Planner said she had never heard of this problem, sorry but I don't believe that. Full refund of course. F.F. miles are already back in the Delta account and Hilton canceled out reservation giving us the points back.

Back to the drawing board.

Also, notice nationality can be a factor. American, Canadians, Australians and British seem to be more polite that some Europeans. Further, people from large cities are not as polite as people from the Midwest or South.

Still, we haven't run into many rude people on our cruises, and we cruise in the Med and Caribbean.

Do you think that since all the 'Nationalities' you listed speak English and have a common ground in many instances that That could be the reason? Others seem less friendly which we interpret as rude because they are more isolated in a sea of 'us'?

Just a thought.

Good the OP cancelled....it's human nature to 'see' what you expect. I've cruised twice out of San Juan and loved it. Both non-summer.

Den

Den

We have had the same problem with a TA on Galaxy from Rome to San Juan. You could never stay and eat in the buffet due to all the groups playing loud games at all the tables. Not rude but really noisy. This was in early December. We now tend to stay away from any cruise starting or leaving San Juan.

Well that was quick! Painful though (my first sky suite - sob) and I just can't chance this happening again. Celebrity asked why and I told them nicely - Vacation Planner said she had never heard of this problem, sorry but I don't believe that. Full refund of course. F.F. miles are already back in the Delta account and Hilton canceled out reservation giving us the points back.

Back to the drawing board.

I think you did the right thing. Also, March 16 is the heart of "Spring break" season. Not the best time if you're looking for a quiet and gentle crowd.

If I may suggest, explore the 10 night options on X and HAL out of FLL or Miami. If they go over two weekends your DH may be able to do it. Also, try for earlier in the winter (rather than later). January or early February are good.

I think you did the right thing. Also, March 16 is the heart of "Spring break" season. Not the best time if you're looking for a quiet and gentle crowd.

If I may suggest, explore the 10 night options on X and HAL out of FLL or Miami. If they go over two weekends your DH may be able to do it. Also, try for earlier in the winter (rather than later). January or early February are good.

Thank you for you KIND and experienced opinion. I'll look for Jan/Feb.

Hi...I sailed from Barcelona to San Jaun ,,,hundreds of locals....rude is a mild Wordsworth's...obnoxious...to ok up tables all day long...travelled down decks in groups...loud etc....NeverAgain...keep away from San Juan

We generally book two week cruises and see few children.

While rudeness is not restricted to the younger generation, I find people more polite in the older generation.

I think crudity and lack of decorum has mushroomed in recent decades. Our society is less polite and more in your face.

There are too many subjective arguments on what you've said so I'm just going to name a couple:

1. On my last cruise, two of the rudest people I encountered were older women. One said she was going to knock me over with her wheelchair if I didn't get out of her way and the other was in the cabin hallway said to move because she wasn't a slow walker.

2. Some of the nicest people I've ever met were from Germany, Italy, Belgium and Austria and here in the states and on the last cruise, we bonded with a couple of L.A. to the point that we are going to meet in Vegas.

It's not a matter of demographics, language, locality or even the ship's itinerary but instead, it's people who feel the need to be rude and where they're from does not define their expected (or unexpected) behavior.

To the OP, we're going to be on the Summit leaving from San Juan on Thanksgiving weekend. The rudeness, messy buffets and unruly children you've described and concerned about will not break us because we can tune it all out! We've read too many positives on the Summit and are focused on having fun!

Hi...I sailed from Barcelona to San Jaun ,,,hundreds of locals....rude is a mild Wordsworth's...obnoxious...to ok up tables all day long...travelled down decks in groups...loud etc....NeverAgain...keep away from San Juan

Thanks for the input. My entire post was just to see if this was the normal or not. I was hoping that what my experience was unusual. It wasn't so fine - I'll book something else. Disappointing that someone had to assume this made me prejudiced.

don't know your age group. You might consisder HAL or Princess . They usually attract less family groups except at Xmas/ New Years. They both usually attract an older group of passengers (50+). There still are rude people but most have a tendency to be more on the quiet side. Cruises that are 10+ days (except Holidays) usually attract less families with kids.

I should have asked this question before I bookend and then canceled. It is only my 5th cruise so I am not that experienced but I have learned a valuable lesson.

We all have different objectives to our cruises - mine is a vacation that is relaxing above all else with romance, fun, nightlife and a mostly adult group (doesn't have to be all). I don't dislike children, raised 3 myself but if I wanted to cruise with a very large population of little ones - I'd go on Disney.

Let me ask a different question - should I be looking at a different cruise line? I've only ever been on Celebity or Carnival. Regardless of the situation - I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A GOOD TIME.

Thank you for you KIND and experienced opinion. I'll look for Jan/Feb.

10 day "Ultimate caribbean" from FLL, 1/11, 2/1, or 2/22. Leaves on Friday and returns Monday. If you get off the ship quickly DH can be back at work by Noon on Monday.

Or, HAL Zuiderdam, leaves FLL on 1/25 and see the Panama Canal. Again, 10 days leaves on Friday.

Or, HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 10 days leaves FLL 1/18, another Friday.

Lots of choices out there if DH can stretch that week just a wee bit.

don't know your age group. You might consisder HAL or Princess . They usually attract less family groups except at Xmas/ New Years. They both usually attract an older group of passengers (50+). There still are rude people but most have a tendency to be more on the quiet side. Cruises that are 10+ days (except Holidays) usually attract less families with kids.

We both were posting - thanks - I'll check out HAL or Princess - just what I was asking. I am 55 & dh is 58 - active and still young at heart!

I love to cruise (always with my dd or girlfriends, sisters) but after finally getting dh to try it a few years ago (on Solstice) ------------- he wasn't a big fan.....lesson learned - no holiday cruises.

I've convinced him to give it another try and I selected the cruise for the Port of Grenada - I've been and loved it. My question and concern stems from the fact that the last time I cruised (with Celebrity) out of San Juan -

Once in Ports - we then noticed that the vast majority of them did not EVER leave the ship. Once again - I still had a great time but it does leave a bad taste.

Has anyone ever had this experience out of San Juan?

??? I don't understand you problem with passengers not leaving the ship? On my last cruise, I didn't leave the ship. I'd been to all the ports a number of times before and had no interest in them. I sailed for the ship experience and had a very enjoyable cruise. Why would that have bothered you?

Archived