TP Airline and Itinerary Questions

MNTraveler

I was wondering if someone could tell me when I could expect to fly to Papeete if I book airfare through Princess? I live in the midwest and if my cruise starts on Nov 10th, will I fly out on the 9th or 10th???

Also, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the Cook Island vs. Marquesas itinerary's. We are very most interested in snorkeling. I don't know if I want to have an extra day at sea to see Marquesas. Is it worth it? Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks.

MNTraveler,

We are doing the 6-13-05 Tahitian Princess and we are using Princess air all the way. We are flying from Iowa and just got our documents a couple of days ago. I wondered the same thing about going the day before, but Princess has us leaving that morning, the 13th, connecting in Denver to LAX and flying out of there at 1:00 pm to arrive in Papeete at 6:20.

Renee

We had Princess do our air for a Feb 2004 cruise from Edmonton, Alberta. They flew us into LAX the night before, put us up in a hotel and we took the 1pm flight out of LAX. We are doing a deviation for our next cruise there in Dec 2005 and asking for specific flights. Cruise air is not always passenger friendly!! But the price is right.

We thought it was worth $75 each to get exactly what flights we wanted. I just called the TA and told them what flights we wanted and Princess confirmed them immediately. In our case, the Princess air is about 1/3 the price of ATN's current prices, plus we can still cancel it up to 70 days out, if we find another good deal. We used FF to fly to LAX the night before, as we didn't think the $500 add-on pp was worth it.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

We found the best and most economical way is to book Princess Air from LAX but book our own air TO LAX. Princess wanted an astronomical amount to fly us from MCI to LAX. We booked it ourselves, arrived the day prior to the flight and purchased a nice hotel at the airport for $50 on PriceLine with free shuttle to and from. It ended up saving us hundreds compared to what Princess wanted for the same flights. We also had a much better schedule.

You can check on Air Tahiti Nui flight schedules on their webste. We are going on the TP Sept 1 and have arranged a flight that arrives at 5:00 AM on the first day of the cruise (Tursday). We did use Princess Air but paid the $75 pp deviation fee for this flight. I think the early morning flight only travels on Monday and Wednesdays.

Yes, you can choose your own flights - I just told them what day and flight I wanted. They confirmed them, told me of the extra $75 pp fee, but it doesn't have to be paid until the final payment for the cruise is due. For me, it was well worth it to fly exactly when I wanted to, plus it's much cheaper than the ATN prices, for now at least.

• 3 weeks later...

What can I expect to pay for air from LAX to Tahiti for August 2006? The quote I'm getting is an estimate at $1813. Canadian.

Is there a best time to book air for this time of year? 330 days before or closer to departure?

Yes, you can choose your own flights - I just told them what day and flight I wanted. They confirmed them, told me of the extra $75 pp fee, but it doesn't have to be paid until the final payment for the cruise is due. For me, it was well worth it to fly exactly when I wanted to, plus it's much cheaper than the ATN prices, for now at least.

I had read that the $75/pp deviation fee is charged even if the cruise is cancelled before final payment date. Can anyone confirm this or know it to be incorrect?

dog- Is the $1813 from your home gateway to PPT or from LAX to PPT? We are booked for the New Years TP cruise when air costs are usually high. We are paying $1769 each Cdn for air from Edmonton, AB to PPT. I know I could probably do it a bit cheaper but not a whole lot.

We had an experience last time we travelled on the TP(2004) when the flight from PPT to LAX was several hours late leaving and many people missed connections. Because we booked air through Princess it was a breeze. When we got off the plane in LAX there was a princess rep there who handed us new flight arrangements. We actually got home only 1/2 hour later than we would have originally. And if you are from Western Canada you will know that's not too bad. We don't have alot of connections into our city. So, for this kind of trip for us I like Princess' service.

Faye

Faye,

The $1813 C.is from Toronto to Tahiti with a stop over in LA both ways and transfers in Tahiti. We will stay a night in LA each way and then arrive a night before the cruise and stay 2 nights after the cruise, I think.

I'm thinking ff points might get us to LA and then use Princess air from LA to Tahiti, but I think it all works out about the same.

What's the weather like in Tahiti in Dec.?

dog

I might add that with Princess air, we flew into LAX the day before and then we were put up in an airport hotel on Princess' dime. So, in reality the cost for their air was pretty reasonable. The people on the return flight who didn't have Princess air were pretty much left scrambling.

I am not sure about weather in Dec but I believe this is supposed to be their rainy season.

Another thing to think about is Princess' transfers. Pretty expensive. We got off the plane, got a taxi and were at the ship 1/2 hour before the others who took the transfers. It cost us $25 US for the 4 of us to take the taxi and I think Princess wanted $25 per person for the transfers. Each way! There are lots of taxis at the airport and it was so much quicker.

Faye

Faye,

Thanks for the info. We never use ship transfers...don't like sitting on a bus waiting, but agent priced it in her quote.

I don't think our hotel would be included because we are requesting a stopover in LA and want that arranged if we go with their air.

When I convert what someone else told me they are paying out of US for cruise only, my agent is a couple of hundred Can. more for one category less. I'll have to talk to her about that.

We did the Marquesas itinerary in Feb. 2005. Was it worth it? We think so. Although there is no snorkling there, we found the unspoiled beauty to be breath taking, especially on Nuku Hiva. We snorkled everywhere else, so we felt the Marquesas were a nice little lull in the water activities.

You can find plenty of pictures and an in depth review on our website. We also give contact information for the guides we used. www.thepreismans.com

Enjoy,

Archived