Courduroys- Packing for Alaska in August

jallen109

Hello,

I am getting ready to pack for my Alaska cruise that leaves on Monday. Do people wear cuorduroys? I believe it is around 65-70ish in August, but heard it can get really cold - especially around glaciers. I only ask because most of my attire for fall/winter is business casual. I have jeans, but would like other comfortable options.

Thanks,

Jaime

Folks certainly do wear cords in August. While you don't specify your itinerary, Fairbanks will be in the high 70s today, but will drop into the low 50s tonight.

Thanks. I am sailing from Seattle through Tracy Arm to Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. :)

Take some lightweight waterproof pants to throw on over those cords. Hopefully you won't need them, but if it's pouring rain if you have some rain pants and jacket you can still get out and about, and stay dry and comfortable. We just got home from Alaska. Started in Fairbanks on July 28th and it was hot. That was the only place I wore shorts. Wore jeans and long sleeves in Denali. While cruising Aug 3-10, needed long sleeves, jackets and pants/jeans. Several days wore waterproof pants, as it rained in most of the ports. Was so glad I brought all the clothes I did, a little of everything because that's what we got while in Alaska -a little of everything, but especially rain. Didn't keep me from enjoying Alaska because I was prepared. Hat and ear muffs came in handy too.

Just off the Volendam today and I used my poncho on the rainy day we had.. you get soaking wet when it rains for hours on end up there. I bought 2 identical plastic ponchos from the Dollarstore and to one of them I added more length to it to make it longer, by sewing onto the bottom a piece of the second poncho I bought to make it longer.. that way it kept my pants and my shoes nice and dry when we had rain in Ketchincan 2 days ago.

The only cold day we had was in Glacier Bay and there I saw peeps with 2 pairs of pants ..or a thin inner pant under a pair of jeans. The problem is not being cold, its trying to stay dry this time of year up there.

I brought way too many jackets and winter clothes and not enough T shirts.. on the ship its warm short sleeve attire but once you are outside on the open decks its colder..so dress in layers starting with a t shirt and next layer a fleecy top and next layer a thinnish windbreaker with a hoodie. Also remember to bring an ear band the type that warms up your ears and your forehead and a warm scarf, and thin gloves. Those items I used a lot onboard.

Also bring a umbrella and a plastic cheap poncho, when it rains up there it pours and I saw a few soaking wet "boat people" in Ketchincan.

Did not see any cords on this cruise, also next time I will bring more soft comfy clothes eg nice sweat pants are really useful.

If cords are what you have, no need to replace them for a one-week trip. Thye'll be fine. You didn't indicate your excursions but unless you plan on serious hiking, fishing, camping or some other activity that has you outdoors for 6-8 hrs, rainpants are overkill.

Since you're leaving so soon, look at www.wunderground.com for each town to get the 5 day forecast. Forecasts are usually reliable for a few days out so it should be pretty close.

I wore a hooded rain jacket for cold or wet days, but other days wore a fleece pullover and always had a poncho in my daypack.

Near glaciers I wore lined nyon jogging pants over knee socks; they kept me warm and the nylon was a good wind breaker as well. Have fun!

You really do not need winter clothes. Southeast AK is a temperate rain forest with frequent, intermittant rain, high humidity and mild temps in the mid to high 50s and low to mid 60s most of the time. If the sun does come out, it may get up to the low 70s, but this year, summer in SE has been especially rainy and cool.

Just got back two weeks ago from the same itinerary. The best thing I took with me was a lightweight waterproof hooded jacket that was loose enough to go over a lightweight fleece or sweatshirt and a tee. I wore khakis and jeans and closed-toe shoes. Had two pairs of shoes in case one got very wet.

Rain pants and water-proof boots would be useful if you have booked hiking or kayaking excursions or if you are outside for hours at a time, but not really necessary for sightseeing. The day that you cruise Tracy Arm Fjord is the coolest, and if you are on one of the top, outside decks at the bow of the ship, you may want a hat for the wind and all your layers. Have a great cruise!

Thanks all for your replies! I am going to bring the cords. I need a waterproof jacket, but read that they sell fleece lined ones at every port for around $20. One less thing to pack if I buy it in Alaska. :)

I don't think I am going to purchase the waterproof pants though. In Skagway, we are doing the White Pass train. In Juneau, we are whale watching and going to Mendenhall Glacier (though not walking on it). In Ketchikan, we are going on a wildlife boat excursion that ends in a crab feast indoors.

I also plan on packing sneakers to wear most of the time and shoes for dinner and formal nights. Only two more days...I can't wait!!!

Thanks all for your replies! I am going to bring the cords. I need a waterproof jacket, but read that they sell fleece lined ones at every port for around $20. One less thing to pack if I buy it in Alaska. :)

I don't think I am going to purchase the waterproof pants though. In Skagway, we are doing the White Pass train. In Juneau, we are whale watching and going to Mendenhall Glacier (though not walking on it). In Ketchikan, we are going on a wildlife boat excursion that ends in a crab feast indoors.

I also plan on packing sneakers to wear most of the time and shoes for dinner and formal nights. Only two more days...I can't wait!!!

Also take some extra socks. When feet got wet it was nice to have warm socks to put on when we got back to the ship. BTW, when we were walking the trail at Mendenhall Glacier we saw a Mama bear and twin cubs. Maybe they're still hanging out in the area. The shuttle bus driver will let everyone know if bears have been spotted. Have a wonderful time!

Also take some extra socks. When feet got wet it was nice to have warm socks to put on when we got back to the ship. BTW, when we were walking the trail at Mendenhall Glacier we saw a Mama bear and twin cubs. Maybe they're still hanging out in the area. The shuttle bus driver will let everyone know if bears have been spotted. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the tip. I really hope we see bears! Someone recently posted a link that shows bears streaming live (I think). Here is the link:

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Also take some extra socks. When feet got wet it was nice to have warm socks to put on when we got back to the ship.

its better to avoid getting wet. It was pouring rain in Ketchincan last week and we were out and about for hours and with my long poncho, my shoes were dry.

Archived