AT&T Cellular Coverage for IPAD during Alaskan Cruise

cluso

We are doing a 9 day Celebrity cruise, round-trip from Vancouver, to Sitka, the Inside Passage, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan. When we travel, we usually buy the $30 a month data package from AT&T for the IPAD. We know not to use it in Canada due to high roaming fees, but has anyone used it in the Alaskan ports? I guess we can't use it on the ship or we will incur ship charges (is that true?).

We have T-Mobile phone service--has anyone used them in Alaska? They are not real good a lot of places we travel : (.

I used my iPad 3G while in Alaska and had no problem. Keep the Data Roaming off.

No AT&T in Vancouver, free WI-fi at the airport.

To use wi-fi on the ship, you would have to sign up for their data plan, but it is so slow, I don't think it's worth it.

you will be OK when the ship is docked in Alaskan ports, but do not attempt to use WIFI when on the ship away from port as the charges are AWFUL.

I do use my iPad to load up all the photos I shoot each day for storage and for the pleasure of looking at them. That is a pleasure. Make sure you have the Apple photo gismo for doing that.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used AT&T in the Alaskan ports? How was the reception? Don't want to pay for the monthly data package if reception is not good.

Used my iPhone with AT&T in Alaskan ports this summer and it worked great! I was able to check email, Facebook, etc. I posted a photo or two from each port to Facebook with an update. No problems!

As mentioned the iPad with ATT will work like a charm when docked in Alaska. We were there in the Spring and I used it from all Alaskan Ports.

I would check on T-Mobiles web site to look at their cell phone coverage area in Alaska or call customer service.

Keith

Archived