If You Ran Food Service Corporate for HAL.........

sail7seas

Based on the other thread I started re: dining today, I wonder........

If you were given the chance to reconfigure all dining venues on HAL ships, would you make any changes?

Would you continue the choice of Traditional or Flexible Dining in the Main Dining Room?

Would you continue to have the lovely white clothes and table settings, mor formal dining service? Would you make it more casual as some of the Five Star Hotels are doing now?

Would you leave the alternative restaurants the way they are or what changes would you propose?

How about Lido?

BIG questions here, I know, but could be interesting what ideas people have and what they would like.

Well Sail since you asked. I'd leave everything just as it is. That's one of the reasons I choose HAL, is I like the traditional dining. They have branched out to include "as you wish dining" for those that want it, but other than that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I believe most of HAL ships sail full, so there are lots of folks that like it! If you want something else, there are other cruiselines to choose from.

Sail: Do you have trouble sleeping at night? You sure do come up with some doozer questions.

I'd leave MDR alone - not all of us have significant others anymore & don't get a chance to dine in 5 star hotels - I, for one would not go alone like I do on a cruise ship. I'd like to see offerings at Lido Grill expanded to include chicken burgers & Onion rings and real beef hot dogs not the crap they serve now. I'd leave Pay Extra venues the way they are.:)

You do come up with the most interesting threads Sail - I really don't know how you do it;)

I like my traditional dining in the MDR so I don't want to see that gone -

I do think that the Pinnacle could have a few other options - perhaps escargots:) perhaps even a change now and then? similar to the old Sommelier dinners?

Here's the thing - for a lot of people traditional dining is either too early or too late - it's a shame they couldn't offer several times (like 7pm) and just skip the anytime dining - we know people like it but is it because......

are they taking it because they don't want to eat so early or so late or because the fixed dining was sold out (which seems to happen a lot).

or do they just want the freedom to go when they want - still want the ambience of the MDR and not go to the Lido.

If that is the case, it should be left as is. Honestly, I'd far prefer a fixed dining time around 7:15 or 7:30 - but no biggie - we always manage to cope!

who knows? there are no right answers. those that like fixed like fixed, those that go to anytime (or whatever the right word is) go when it suits - that's what has to be figured out.

For now, keep things as they are - people have two options and life is good.

I rarely use any of the alternative dining options, so I can only comment about the MDR.

I'm entirely satisfied with the food and more than satisfied with the service, the only persistent problem is the preponderance of open dining availability as compared to fixed dining. I believe many new passengers are disappointed that they are refused the fixed dining they prefer and some of them, I have no idea how many, on their next cruise, go elsewhere.

If ever there was a thought that most passengers would come to love open dining if only they would try it, I think it's time to face the reality that they won't.

And it would be so easy to fix; just exchange the larger areas for open dining and the smaller ones for fixed.

Tell Corporate that I'm here and full of advice.

I think that HAL needs more fun food venues. I like to dress up and have a leisurely dinner, but only one of the younger members of our family likes to dress for dinner. When they select a restaurant, they choose fun, relaxed, casual places with interesting food choices. So if I ran the world, I'd give them more casual 'deck dining' focusing on ethnic foods.

And I'd keep the MDR fixed dining formal as long as it's popular. (It's my personal preference.) But I'd consider something a bit less structured for the any time diners. Better food but less formality. And in and out in a more timely manner.

I love the MDR but it can be a time killer on a bad night.

As costs become an issue, I'd rather see fewer selections done well. Quality above quantity. And one meal per diner is enough. No more 'bring us each three shrimp cocktails.' Enough.

Based on the other thread I started re: dining today, I wonder........

If you were given the chance to reconfigure all dining venues on HAL ships, would you make any changes?

Would you continue the choice of Traditional or Flexible Dining in the Main Dining Room?

Would you continue to have the lovely white clothes and table settings, mor formal dining service? Would you make it more casual as some of the Five Star Hotels are doing now?

Would you leave the alternative restaurants the way they are or what changes would you propose?

How about Lido?

BIG questions here, I know, but could be interesting what ideas people have and what they would like.

I like how HA does it and would not change it. Although, I would add a mexican bar far better than the one that they do now. That area needs some better selections. But... what it is in the dining areas work for me just fine. I like quality food and HA does not disappoint even with some of the recent cut backs.

The food was great, but I would alter the dining times on the European cruises in the Lido. Just off the NA. The "late night" snack ended at 11:30 (10:30-11:30). This does nothing for late seating passengers who get out of the dining room at 10PM. If you go to the late show at 10:15, you barely make it before closing if you still want something to eat. This was an active, late night ship, with only pizza or room service after 11:30. In the Caribbean, I believe it was 11:30-12:30 in the Lido.

Lite snacks were served from 3-5, but this was the time when most were returning from port everyday. Many days they had the pasta & Mexican station (usually open during Lite Snacks in the past) closed during this time to get ready for a themed buffet. All that was left was a salad bar, one person working the sandwich station, and one or two working the Terrace Grill. Not nearly enough employees to take care of the number of people wanting food.

Keep up with the drink stations! Too often they were out of something or broken,

I like the stations on Celebrity, but not sure how you would change the Lido design. Too many lines and too many people crowding around to see what they want to eat, while blocking the pathway through the Lido. That's my two cents.

I think it's great most who responded seem reasonably happy just the way dining is and I agree.

The only change I would seek is for longer/later hours in Lido. We don't go to Lido for dinner but I understand about those who wish it was open a little later at night for dinner.

I think HAL is doing a great job pleasing most of the people most of the time.

I'm sorry about the questions........ I did say I'd stop but then I think of another. :o

Actually, I think some of them are a little on the interesting side.... at least they're interesting to me or I wouldn't ask. :D

Sail: Do you have trouble sleeping at night? You sure do come up with some doozer questions.

I'd leave MDR alone - not all of us have significant others anymore & don't get a chance to dine in 5 star hotels - I, for one would not go alone like I do on a cruise ship. I'd like to see offerings at Lido Grill expanded to include chicken burgers & Onion rings and real beef hot dogs not the crap they serve now. I'd leave Pay Extra venues the way they are.:)

No.... :D I don't have trouble sleeping.

Come on....... are the questions really THAT bad? :)

(my dh loves onion rings !!)

We are happy with HAL's food service. However I think a few things could be tweaked to improve the overall product:

a) Extend the lido dining hours, it is truly too limited a window for an alternative casual venue.

b) Work on the nuts-and-bolts of anytime dining, it simply is too hit-or-miss on HAL regarding service.

c) Open a venue in the atrium similar to Princess' wonderful International Cafe.

d) Work on desserts. They honestly overall aren't very good in both the MDR and lido.

The consistency of the food is one of the best of all mass market lines, that hasn't changed at all to us.

I'm happy with the MDR and the Lido. I would add another quality specialty restaurant. I know they have two on the Signature ships. Would like to have them on all ships. Canaletto's needs to either improve or please come up with something better. I think I've said this many times - Hal please hire an italian chef.

No.... :D I don't have trouble sleeping.

Come on....... are the questions really THAT bad? :)

(my dh loves onion rings !!)

I thought perhaps you were on a fact-finding mission for HAL Corporate! Or, writing a blog or a book on cruising....

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy the way things are...but the Lido left open all day and later in the evening would be great. Seems that I'm always getting there once lunch has been closed. We don't have dinner there so that's not a problem for us.

And, BTW, I am having trouble sleeping, so that's why I'm on-line this late! Between the humidity and the thunder, it doesn't make for a restful sleep.

time marches on, BUT, i would like to see hal go back to their more traditional roots:

• smart casual, informal and formal dress codes (and enforce it)
  • higher crew-to-passenger ratio
  • fixed seating only in the MDR
  • higher food cost daily - not a lot, even $5 day more would be a huge difference

have a casual, anytime venue for those that want it, of course. hal has become too much like the other mass-market lines.

time marches on, BUT, i would like to see hal go back to their more traditional roots:

• higher food cost daily - not a lot, even $5 day more would be a huge difference

have a casual, anytime venue for those that want it, of course. hal has become too much like the other mass-market lines.

You read my mind!

I would go back to 1998. That was the year when everythinbg was as you describe above but Pinnacle was then known as Marco Polo and first introduced in the ROTTERDAM with its great food (choice and service) but I would also open Lido for casual dining.... from say 6pm to 11 pm. Sure it would cost more, but put in on the fare instead of trying to match RCI and NCL.

I have to agree with Kazu about the dining times. We generally eat between 7 & 7:30 at home. It would be nice to maintain that schedule on vacation and would love to have a 7 PM fixed seating time. On another cruiseline prior to implementation of open seating, they had several dining times to pick from. The lower dining room served at 6 & 8:30 and the upper served at 7 & 9:30. It was a Mediterranean cruise so many people preferred the later dining times. We actually picked the 8:30 seating for that cruise because we were docked until 7 or 8 at many ports and preferred having some additional time to relax and get ready before dinner.

My wife and I loved the anytime dining so keep that. It would be nice to have lido open all day till midnight. I would love the Lido dinner buffet to be different than the mdr menue and let that be the ethnic alternative.

Sail,

always great threads/comments (even though we're often of different minds).

I'd simply increase the staffing to improve the experience for the pax. Have the servers responsibility decrease by at least 33% so that better attention could be paid to the passengers. I'd fund that by cutting some the folks in needless positions in the backoffice area whose only real job is finding ways to justify their jobs by making more work for the crew.

Beyond that I think that HAL does a great job with how things are now as they have a balance for most cruising tastes with regard to dining options/times.

I'd maybe add some bolder flavors.

Derek

I thought perhaps you were on a fact-finding mission for HAL Corporate! Or, writing a blog or a book on cruising....

<snip>

No, Sheila....... I don't work for HAL Corporate, never have and it is highly unlikely I ever will or would.

And most assuredly I am not the 'blog' sort. :)

I just enjoy raising different subjects for conversation.

Rather than 'just the facts' as Joe Friday used to say :), I think it interesting to sometimes have conversations regarding opinions but are not controversial and prone to caustic comments.

We cruise often and have for years and I have seen a definite flow in the cruising experience and the cruisers. I like a lot of the changes and wonder about future changes.... what might they be? What would we like them to be? What we not like them to be?

It never occurred to me someone would think I work for HAL because I raise these topics. :o

No, Sheila....... I don't work for HAL Corporate, never have and it is highly unlikely I ever will or would.

And most assuredly I am not the 'blog' sort. :)

I just enjoy raising different subjects for conversation.

Rather than 'just the facts' as Joe Friday used to say :), I think it interesting to sometimes have conversations regarding opinions but are not controversial and prone to caustic comments.

We cruise often and have for years and I have seen a definite flow in the cruising experience and the cruisers. I like a lot of the changes and wonder about future changes.... what might they be? What would we like them to be? What we not like them to be?

It never occurred to me someone would think I work for HAL because I raise these topics. :o

I know you don't work for HAL...I was just teasing you!

I didn't want anyone to be under the wrong impression. :)

I'm retired and don't work for anyone (and haven't for a long time) :)

seriously doubt HAL has any interest in anything I write here. ;)

DH has dietary issues based on salt. Even one meal with too much salt can make him sick for several days. The MDR was fabulous in accommodating his needs, but the Lido was a challenge at lunch. We didn't make any special requests there, but it was particularly difficult to choose items for him there. He ate lots of salad and lots of fruit for lunch. Sandwiches aren't even an option unless it's the freshly prepared chicken options.

I'd like to see a bit of help... on the menu at the entrance to the Lido, on the signage... some symbol to indicate which options are suitable for those with special diets. I'm sure low sodium isn't the only diet requiring special information... diabetics, gluten-free, lactose-free, etc.

I did mention this while onboard, but both the Hotel Manager and the Head Chef said this was a difficult request. I'm not expecting them to change the recipes... just identify them more clearly.

DH and I resorted to "taste and waste," unfortunately. He likes hot entrees for lunch, and he would get a little. I would sample for him (like the king's food taster). I would warn him away from things too salty.

Luckily (and with HAL's enormous help and accommodations -- Thank you, Hendro and Indra and to the kitchen behind the scenes), he didn't get sick all week. The movement of the little boat with our Sitka Marine Life excursion made him a bit woozy, but I think it went much better than our previous cruises... now that we know to avoid salt, sodium, and all sodium-based preservatives.

When open seating was first introduced, the lido on most ships stayed open later than it had historically done. 9:00 P.M. was close time for a brief period in time. At some point, it seems the timeframes reverted back to historical norms. I am speculating that the number of passengers who preferred to dine later was not adequate to support staffing.

As for other changes.....unless a cruise line can fill all its ships on every sail, with consumers willing to pay more to get more ...it's not going to happen.

Dress codes??? The public has spoken. I cannot imagine any mass marketed cruise line surviving if they were unwilling to change.

You have my vote also, I miss the old days

Archived