WaterPROOF jackets a must

oratheeexplorer

My DW and I will be in Alaska in mid-September. We will bring the waterproof jackets and pants plus plan to dress in layers but with the lousy weather everyone is reporting, I'm predicting sunny skies and mild temps for our trip. It can't always rain, can it?????

tom

Hahaha I was trying to theorize the same thing to DH lol I'm taking my waterproof jacket, pants, and shoes "just in case" though ;)

Last week we had a mixture of mist, rain, majority of the time complete cloud cover and also quite a bit of fog. We didn't let that stop us from having a good time. However, I would love to see some parts of Alaska with a blue sky background. Guess that means we have to go back! :)

We go to Alaska for the awesome scenary, rain or shine, but this time the low cloud and general damp murk meant we couldn't even SEE it :(. Our day at Hubbard Glacier was a complete fail with so much fog and ice in the bay we more or less sailed on by. Couldn't see a THING, let alone the magnificent glacier. Very disappointing, especially as we had travelled a LONG way to get there.

We go to Alaska for the awesome scenary, rain or shine, but this time the low cloud and general damp murk meant we couldn't even SEE it :(. Our day at Hubbard Glacier was a complete fail with so much fog and ice in the bay we more or less sailed on by. Couldn't see a THING, let alone the magnificent glacier. Very disappointing, especially as we had travelled a LONG way to get there.

I know what you mean.....there was a lot of fog.....our whale watch tour with Harv N Marvs in Juneau got canceled. They said this was the first time all season this year they had to cancel. They said there were collisions from the fog. That was an early morning tour. I talked with a couple who went out with them later that day and they saw 5 Orcas kill a sea lion and saw a lot of other wildlife and whales.

Our flightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley got canceled 2 days in a row due to clouds and fog.

It would have been nice to see Alaska without so much low cloud cover, like you said and fog. Our ship blew the foghorn a lot.

I'm sure scenery from the ship would be breathtaking with clearer skies, but we never got a chance to see that either.

That's why I say we have to go back. But that's a lot of money to spend to gamble on the weather.

I am sorry to hear you had so much fog. I have read about rainy weather--but, not too many people have said that fog was a persistent problem. Now I will worry about that. :eek:

I have read how cool and rainy this summer has been.

Hopefully we just hit a really bad week......we still had a fantastic trip.....I'm sure you will have better weather! Enjoy!

I am sorry to hear you had so much fog. I have read about rainy weather--but, not too many people have said that fog was a persistent problem. Now I will worry about that. :eek:

I have read how cool and rainy this summer has been.

We sailed on the Sapphire Princess, Aug. 4-11; none of our boat excursions were canceled due to fog. A CC member who sailed the same itinerary the week after our cruise had sunny weather and 80 degree temps. Worrying about the weather won't change it. Bring "appropriate attire" and hope for the best. If we ever book a flightseeing tour (They are rather expensive!) I would definitely have a Plan B.

Hope you have clear weather and a great cruise.

Yes, there's no point worrying about something you can't predict or control so have a Plan B and enjoy your cruise anyway!

My DH says I have to have something to worry about.:D I guess it is in my DNA. Whenb I actuallu go on the vacation I relax and go with the flow. It is too late to change plans then.

We sailed on the Sapphire Princess, Aug. 4-11; none of our boat excursions were canceled due to fog. A CC member who sailed the same itinerary the week after our cruise had sunny weather and 80 degree temps. Worrying about the weather won't change it. Bring "appropriate attire" and hope for the best. If we ever book a flightseeing tour (They are rather expensive!) I would definitely have a Plan B.

Hope you have clear weather and a great cruise.

Hi there! We were on the same cruise.....we were on roll call together on here. You were lucky not to have anything canceled. When our flightseeing tour was canceled out of Talkeetna, we ended up doing the 3 River jet boat ride through Princess. It was pretty good...we saw a lot of bald eagles. I was really disappointed about the whale watch tour in Juneau getting canceled. We were booked with Harv N Marvs. I talked to a couple that got to go out later that day that were on our ship, and there was room for 12 and there were only 6 on the boat. I was kind of upset that they did not try calling my cell to get us on that tour. We ended up going to Mendenhall Glacier and walking to Nugget Falls in the pouring rain....had a blast! Definetly an adventerous trip we will remember for a lifetime...and we are hoping to go back some day! :)

So glad we had WaterPROOF rain jackets last week. We got some form of rain every day except for Friday, our sea day on way to Vancouver. Either misty, rain or really raining! Glacier Bay day out on front open deck we were out there a long time....it was only in the upper 40s and raining....our jeans were wet but so glad we had our waterproof jackets....also in Juneau at Mendenhall Glacier....we walked to Nugget Falls and it was pouring.....

So just wanted to give a shout out for those Waterproof rain jackets with hoods....best thing I purchased for our trip to Alaska!

Do agree that they are great for Alaska -- for our rainy weather at home.

amazon.com was 99.00 for this Mermot rain coat.

I didnt do my shopping in great detail and i found a mermot precip rain coat for 49.00 with free shipping on 6pm.com

So I return the amazon coat and save about 50.00.

Love it! Very light! Super light jacket I mean. Sealed tight so water cant seep into the jacket. Have used it in pouring rain once so far and stayed 100% dry. Of course if its cold out, you will need layers underneath as this isnt really the warm coat so to say.

Highly recommend it for 50.00! or even 99.00 on amazon if you have to resort to them. It's even said to be one of the top rain coats when I googled

I have lived in the PNW all my life and boast 2 Gore-tex jackets and another type of waterproof/breathable jacket but have never owned a pair of waterproof pants (I don't golf when it is raining:)). An investment in a breathable pair of waterproof pants can equal or exceed a good jacket so a person may want to think about that before purchasing a pair for a 7 day Alaskan cruise and you do want breathable ones if undertaking any physical activity. However a word to the wise....don't purchase a lined jacket unless the lining zips out, drying a lined jacket in a cabin's bathroom is all but impossible. You will appreciate the shell even on dry days when it is a bit cool.

• 2 weeks later...

The gore-tex jackets also protect you from the wind that feels quite chilly when blowing in Alaska. I wouldn't consider going without my waterproof parkas with a hood and gore-tex, low-cut hikers. The hikers are not because we did alot of hiking but in the rain and cold they keep your feet nice and cozy warm.

We went June 14 - 29 this year and had mostly great weather. Didn't rain on our Kenai Fjords trip, but was cold standing out on deck, had real warm weather (could have worn shorts) in Juneau, then really rained in Ketchikan and we were glad that we were prepared for it.

We were fortunate that it did not rain alot of our trip but we were prepared for whatever.

I've read that the exact type of outerwear that is recommended can be found in nearly every port. Is that correct? I'll be aboard Golden Princess 9/15 - 9/22, with stops at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan, and I was thinking of just buying a new waterproof lined jacket when we stopped at Juneau, if they are available there at a reasonable price.

Thanks.

Tim

TiminOhio:

Yes, you will find some of those lined water resistant jackets, but they are not waterproof. They also don't breathe and you can get sweaty. I have one I bought in Homer. It was only $ 24.99 and one I bought in San Francisco. They are both the same type. The one in San Francisco was $19.99. We didn't think it was going to be as chilly out as it was in S.F. cause it was so beautiful and we got cold from the wind. It was too far to walk back to the ship to get our jackets. These jackets definitely did help protect us from the chilly wind.

However, having just returned from Alaska this last June 29, I highly recommend a waterproof breathable, hooded parka with either a zip out fleece lining that you can wear either way or the same type parka with wearing a fleece underneath, as neeeded. Those cheaper jackets are not going to protect you much if it is really raining.

MeggieMoo:

Sounds like you got a great jacket for a super good price. I have the same type of parka from Columbia that I have taken on my last several trips. Worked great.

Also, don't forget something waterproof for your feet. You may hit weather in the 80's like we did in Juneau and not need these things, but when we got to Ketchikan it was really raining and quite chilly.

Better to be prepared than wish you had brought these things and didn't.

This thread is hands down the best advice in packing for any land or cruises in Alaska.

Waterproof breathable jacket that fits over a good fleece jacket and waterproof lightweight rain pants. If you have those 3 things, you are good for each day. I probably would also include some convertible pants into my must haves. They are lightweight too and if they get wet, they dry very quickly. (Also easy to wash in the cabin). I don't wear them at home, but wear them almost daily in Alaska.

A good place to look online is sierra trading post. They always have great deals.

Archived