Beverage Packages

nanlac

?..How does the cruise line control one passenger with a drinks package from sharing it with others?

How does any establishment protect against theft such as shoplifting. I'm sure they have some theft protection controls Tin place. In addition to some mentioned above they do register every drink so they might monitor consumption for inappropriate patterns.

Also, note that it is okay to share the wine packages since those are for a set number of bottles. The only packages with rules against sharing are those priced per person.

We're thinking the same thing. On a Panama Canal cruise, about 1/2 sea days, got the package. But in Europe, with ports most every day (1 or 2 sea days out of 12) no package. Also, waiting to get our package until day after embarkation- we arrive late and won't be able to use it much the first day. Did get the 10% discount when offered on the premium, though, and will wait for the coke card. Does anyone know if wine packages are discounted on the ship?

I've not seen any packages discounted on the ship. I've also read that the wine bottle packages may not even have any discount at all, depending on which wines you choose from the limited list applicable to the packages. There are some single, or two, bottle discounts available from time to time including upper level Captain's club coupons and occsional % off bottle promotions - although I'm not sure that I've see those other than in connection with a specialty dining discount offered on a couple cruises where bookings were low.

Is it possible to change the package after a few days? I want to book Premium Non Alcoholic at the beginning of the cruise and change to Classic Alcoholic after 3 days.

I've read reports here that you can upgrade, but not downgrade, the packages. Likewise you can buy a package during your cruise but you can not cancel one after it starts.

How does any establishment protect against theft such as shoplifting. I'm sure they have some theft protection controls Tin place. In addition to some mentioned above they do register every drink so they might monitor consumption for inappropriate patterns.

Also, note that it is okay to share the wine packages since those are for a set number of bottles. The only packages with rules against sharing are those priced per person.

I've not seen any packages discounted on the ship. I've also read that the wine bottle packages may not even have any discount at all, depending on which wines you choose from the limited list applicable to the packages. There are some single, or two, bottle discounts available from time to time including upper level Captain's club coupons and occsional % off bottle promotions - although I'm not sure that I've see those other than in connection with a specialty dining discount offered on a couple cruises where bookings were low.

I've read reports here that you can upgrade, but not downgrade, the packages. Likewise you can buy a package during your cruise but you can not cancel one after it starts.

Well answered Lsimon. helpful as always.

We had the premium package on Eclipse. The first night we tried to pair our wines with our meal. Duh! Then we asked the sommelier to pair our wines with food.....Fantastic. She had a wine for every course including desert. It was great when my DW ordered fish she could have a glass of white and I could have a glass of red with cow. They were excellent once theyrealized our tastes.

We had the premium package on Eclipse. The first night we tried to pair our wines with our meal. Duh! Then we asked the sommelier to pair our wines with food.....Fantastic. She had a wine for every course including desert. It was great when my DW ordered fish she could have a glass of white and I could have a glass of red with cow. They were excellent once theyrealized our tastes.

One of the best suggestions I've ever read here. I assume this means that the sommelier will come up with an appropriate wine ($12 glass) with each course if you so desire?

Think you should put this on the Celebrity secrets thread (not that it's a secret, but sure is a good tip).

Thank you.

One of the best suggestions I've ever read here. I assume this means that the sommelier will come up with an appropriate wine ($12 glass) with each course if you so desire?

Think you should put this on the Celebrity secrets thread (not that it's a secret, but sure is a good tip).

Thank you.

Just make sure you have a sommelier and not a drinks waiter.:D

Because there are fewer sommeliers than previously ( or so it seems), you are well advised to tell the sommelier what all your courses are and either discuss the wines for all the courses at the beginning or tell him/ her to just bring their wine choices. Otherwise, they get so busy, you might have a bit of a wait. If you have that discussion at the beginning you will get better service, I have found - even in Blu.

I have gone to the non alcoholic version since that is of more value to me and then I purchase any alcoholic drinks I might desire on the side. Personally this is a better version for my person.

As others have said you might want to have a look at your passed bills to determine whether this is worth it you based your drinking habits. Add in one or 2 drinks extra to that list since I bet while you were paying each drink individually you might have not had that 3rd drink at the pool or that extra coffee in the evening........ and then tally it up. If you come out ahead then you might want to try the package if not then you should maybe not invest in an alcoholic package but rather in a non alcoholic one.

If you have a Facebook account, be sure to "Like" Celebrity. I received a Facebook notice when Celebrity was running a limited offer of 10% discount off Beverage packages. And, naturally, "Like" Cruise Critic!

I honestly now would not go on a cruise without this package .Why? Well I love trying new drinks and if I dont like them well get somethinG else and you don't have to feel bad about leaving the drink alone.

No bar bill (well not counting the time I get some more special wine over and above the limit of $12 ) And thats only the difference not the whole amount.

The feelng that I am on holiday and do not wnat to think about what I am spending on drinks ,alchoholic and non alcholholic .

Does it make me drink a but more ? Yes but not to the point where I make myself ill but I am on holiday so I relax a liitle .

Cheers

Scotslizzy :)

My DH drinks ALOT of coffee and he enjoys the flavored ones he got the classic NA package and Celebrity lost money on it. He also had soda from time to time and bottle water. For the cabin and tours

It was money well spent for him. Next cruise is Hawaii very port intensive for 6 days we may wait till the 5 sea days at the end to buy the package this trip.

We found on the Silhouette that there were happy hours every day with 2for1 drinks

Bev

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Can you tell me if these Drink Packages are offered on Caribbean Cruises? going on the Reflection in January.

They are offered on all cruises, on all the ships.

If you go to this link it will show you what all is available -

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages

Susan :)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages

good to know, after 12 Royal Caribbean Cruises, this is our 1st with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean doesn't offer them on most cruises, especially Caribbean cruises

good to know, after 12 Royal Caribbean Cruises, this is our 1st with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean doesn't offer them on most cruises, especially Caribbean cruises

We're like you, first time on Celebrity, but, only 8 on RC so far, so, we've booked the Premium package this cruise, to give it a try out.

Mostly true. I read that they are often not offered on charters. I just can't remember where I read that!

Celebrity doesn't do that many charters, though.

Don't know why but I tend to obsess over whether or not to buy a package. So much so that after every one of the four celebrity cruises we've taken in the last two years I have come home and added up all of our drink purchases to compare the total with the cost of the package. So far it would never have paid us to have the package.

We don't enjoy the juices or specialty coffees. Occasionally we have wine with lunch, always a martini before dinner and sometimes a highball or two in the theater or a lounge after dinner. We also like to try some of the wines offered by the bottle in the MDR that are not on the packages by the glass. The cost of these drinks, wine, and the extra tips we leave have never totaled what the package would cost.

I always think I must be missing something, but even though It feels like we're drinking quite a lot when we're on board it never adds up to a saving with the package.

What am I missing?

Don't know why but I tend to obsess over whether or not to buy a package. So much so that after every one of the four celebrity cruises we've taken in the last two years I have come home and added up all of our drink purchases to compare the total with the cost of the package. So far it would never have paid us to have the package.

We don't enjoy the juices or specialty coffees. Occasionally we have wine with lunch, always a martini before dinner and sometimes a highball or two in the theater or a lounge after dinner. We also like to try some of the wines offered by the bottle in the MDR that are not on the packages by the glass. The cost of these drinks, wine, and the extra tips we leave have never totaled what the package would cost.

I always think I must be missing something, but even though It feels like we're drinking quite a lot when we're on board it never adds up to a saving with the package.

What am I missing?

Nothing, the packages are not for everyone and bear in mind that there are several types of packages to tailor to some peoples drinking habits.

In saying this, Celebrity is in the business of making money and providing a nice atmosphere for holidayers, if the packages suited everyone so fantasticly then they wouldn't make as much money. For me they make sense for my SIL they do not. Obviously for you they do not either.:D

What am I missing?

I'm the same Tide,

It always sounds tempting and so convenient but I have never spent the package cost. I like a fancy martini before dinner and a glass of wine at dinner. I might have a fancy drinky on the decky in the afternoon, but if we are in port probably will not. We will look more carefully at my non drinking DH as he does like that fancy coffee and developed a taste for it on our last cruise...but that was HAL and they do it differently. You buy a drinks card for a set value, eg $100 but pay 5% less for it. On the first day it is 10% less and we bought a few the first day that got us most of the way through the trip. Paid for what we drank, but at 10% off.

We were probably abut $75 better off last time for not buying the package. In other words you didn't miss a thing!

Molly

Archived