Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Does anyone know what we are counting down to? According to our countdown clock on NCL, our cruise is 68 days away (April 30th). This has been bothering for a while now..just curious.

You are correct, the countdown seems to be a day out. It seems like NCL will be posting their one day picture as we leave Southampton. I've no idea whether that's deliberate or not.

Saying that, I'm just going by when Gambee posts them here. I don't know when they are being posted b NCL, but have assumed that Gambee links them quite soon after they are posted.

Getaway-Block-25.jpg

She is looking very ready :)

I don't know why, but this medical advice (below) reminded me of the ...

Your Baby is very important to you. Remember every week counts! Keep your baby inside until its time!

Near the end of your pregnancy you may be uncomfortable or anxious to see your baby.

But remember -- you want to be sure you deliver a full term baby if possible.

You are correct, the countdown seems to be a day out. It seems like NCL will be posting their one day picture as we leave Southampton. I've no idea whether that's deliberate or not.

Saying that, I'm just going by when Gambee posts them here. I don't know when they are being posted b NCL, but have assumed that Gambee links them quite soon after they are posted.

There is a voyage from Rotterdam to Southampton that is a 1 day cruise. I believe this is what they are counting down to.

Don't know if this shipmodel is already posted, it's from last year and doesn't show much new. Just nice to know or good for a quick peek. I didn't see it before so here it goes:

Breakaway shipmodel. (removed image, too large)

Source: http://www.mikeyscruiseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/model.jpg

"NCL unveiled a Norwegian Breakaway interactive exhibit in the Grand Lounge of New York’s historic Radio City Music Hall. This features a 1:100 scale model of the 4,000 passenger ship. Guests attending the shows have the opportunity to tour the exhibit to view the model and learn all about the ship’s unique attributes, entertainment and dining etc."

Pic of the booth where the model is displayed.

Source: http://malcolmoliver.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/breakaway-booth1.jpg

Someone give an observation please. I am in balcony cabin 14844 From what I can ascertain the pictures above shows life boats down a good portion of the ship wont they block a lot of the balconies views of the ocean when looking down?

Someone give an observation please. I am in balcony cabin 14844 From what I can ascertain the pictures above shows life boats down a good portion of the ship wont they block a lot of the balconies views of the ocean when looking down?

No, not unless you look straight down. We were on Epic deck 14 and never noticed them at all. They are a complete non-issue for anybody deck 10 and up

They are 6 hours ahead of us so that makes it 1am EST in the US.

This is exciting!!! :D:

Cool, thanks I just found a website that did the conversion.

Very exciting, I am very interested in the aft pictures. I just contacted Andreas to inform him of the float out, although something tells me he already knows. I requested extra aft pictures, I am big fan of his work.

Here is a translation of the press release:

Papenburg, Germany, 22. February 2013 -

On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 after only 17 months of construction 145,000 grt cruise ship, the Norwegian Breakaway, will leave covered building dock II at the Meyer Werft shipyard.

The undocking of the ship, built for Norwegian Cruise Line, will begin at approximately 07.00

Cool, thanks I just found a website that did the conversion.

Very exciting, I am very interested in the aft pictures. I just contacted Andreas to inform him of the float out, although something tells me he already knows. I requested extra aft pictures, I am big fan of his work.

We are indeed very lucky to have Andreas Depping around and post his amazing pictures here on Cruise Critic.

:D

More of the press release...

Papenburg, February 22, 2013 – On Tuesday, 26 February 2013 the 145,000 gt cruise ship Norwegian BREAKAWAY, whose construction has taken merely 17 months, will float out of MEYER WERFT's covered building dock II.

Over the last few weeks the shipyard has been busy conducting extensive tests and machinery trials. The float-out of the ship, which is built for the US cruise operator Norwegian Cruise Line, will commence around 7 a.m.

Following the float-out and more tests to be carried out in the harbour, the ship will be berthed alongside the yard's outfitting pier.

Delays in the time schedule due to weather conditions may occur.

With the ship being berthed at the yard's pier, the remaining work and tests and trials will be carried out in the next few days. Within merely a couple of days, the first crew members will move into their cabins on board, and familiarize themselves with the ship itself and its numerous systems. The Norwegian BREAKAWAY's conveyance down the river Ems towards the North Sea, where she will prove her seaworthiness, is scheduled for early March 2013.

The 145,000 gt cruise ship has a length overall of 324 m, and is 39.70 n wide. Its construction complies with the latest safety standards, and the ship meets all valid environmental regulations.

The float-out will be broadcast via webcam on http://www.meyerwerft.com

The float-out will be broadcast via webcam on http://www.meyerwerft.com

Thanks for the extra details from the press release. Your translator works faster (and better) than mine. ;)

Watching the float out will be unique in the aspect that it is the first time I can remember a ship, especially one of that size, being built with her bow at the exit doors in that larger construction hall. As far back as I can remember they have all been built for a 'stern first' exit. When they open the doors and she begins to exit, her amazing hull art will come out first.

Also curious is to how they will do the Ems River conveyance, as they have all been 'stern first' (towed backwards) in the past. I wonder if/how they will turn her around in the lagoon before she exits the lock gates leading into the river?

The Breakaway will already dock in Rotterdam on the 26th of April, not sure of it will be in port the 27th prior to the 28th when it will leave for Southampton in the afternoon.

Cruisecalls port of Rotterdam

26 april Norwegian Breakaway NCL Cruises

27 april Rotterdam Holland America Line

28 april Norwegian Breakaway NCL Cruises

loungerz and I will sure get some exterior photos when it sails in at the Waterweg canal/at the dock if possible! :D

I don't know why, but this medical advice (below) reminded me of the ...

Your Baby is very important to you. Remember every week counts! Keep your baby inside until its time!

Near the end of your pregnancy you may be uncomfortable or anxious to see your baby.

But remember -- you want to be sure you deliver a full term baby if possible.

That's so funny and so appropriate- for a human baby or a ship baby!:D

Here's a link to a much BIGGER picture of the one posted above for more detail:

BIG

Amazing photo. Cant believe how fast the ship has come together.

Love the crew place in the front of the ship. No longer do they just get a small pool and have to sit in the sun. It looks like they added cabanas and a nice place to get out of the sun. Nice!

Archived