Coffee not from Baristas...

kimanjo

Because we are very early risers (5am ish) Baristas will not be open yet, so we need to get coffee from Terrace Cafe.

I drink good ole coffee at home from my Mr. Coffee. Don't go to Starbucks or anything, but I do like a nice cup if its available.

How is the regular coffee from the Terrace Cafe? I've been on Celebrity quite a bit, and people talk about it being not freshly brewed, but some sort of syrup. I dunno, could I tell, maybe, maybe it was power of suggestion.

Also, is there cream or half and half available in the Terrace Cafe 24 hours, as well as the coffee being available.

Thanks in advance!

J.

Because we are very early risers (5am ish) Baristas will not be open yet, so we need to get coffee from Terrace Cafe.

I drink good ole coffee at home from my Mr. Coffee. Don't go to Starbucks or anything, but I do like a nice cup if its available.

How is the regular coffee from the Terrace Cafe? I've been on Celebrity quite a bit, and people talk about it being not freshly brewed, but some sort of syrup. I dunno, could I tell, maybe, maybe it was power of suggestion.

Also, is there cream or half and half available in the Terrace Cafe 24 hours, as well as the coffee being available.

Thanks in advance!

J.

The firet place to get coffee would be in the Horizons Lounge at 06:30. Thet also have crossants, Danish Pastries, Juices etc. Better coffee than the Terrace Cafe IMO.

Bill

There is a coffee machine in the Terrace with beans ..it grinds as needed

24/7 if no cream there just ask the staff in the kitchen

Never have seen the syrup stuff on O

You can also call room service they will deliver a pot for you

Coffee in the Terrace or for that matter on the ship in general was one of our only complaints. Found it not good at all. This was on the Insignia about a little over a year ago. We are scheduled on Nautica in a month and hopefully it will be better.

I can say that earlier in this year we did a 14 day cruise with Crystal on the Symphony and the coffee was fine.

I think it may depend on how you like your coffee & how the machine was set up

First cruise we found the coffee great from the self serve machine then some people found it too strong so they changed the setting to BLEK :eek:

Different ships seem to have different settings on the machine

Lyn

Coffee in the Terrace or for that matter on the ship in general was one of our only complaints. Found it not good at all.

Totally agree. I cannot understand why they can do such a good job with food but cannot get the coffee right.

I drink only lattes and cappuccinos on the ship -- i avoid regular coffee completely. if I were desperate in the am, I would head for Horizons, as others have mentioned.

You didn't indicate the type of cabin you've booked. If you are Concierge level, or above, there are coffee machines with 24/7 coffee, etc. in the concierge and executive lounges aboard Marina and Riviera.

I'm a tea drinker, so I have no valid comments about the quality. However, I will tell you the cappucino in Barista's was almost good enough to convert me back to cofrfee.

So...

Horizons bean grinder machine, make as needed 24/7?

Terrace Cafe, is that also a bean grinder machine, or is it a big brewed urn type, 24/7 as well?

The two types above are perfectly fine, not crazy about the "syrup" type, so we'll be fine until Baristas opens. Like it strong, so will take a posters advice and mix regular and espresso!

Maybe with the much touted comfort of the beds, will be able to sleep past 4:45-5 am, so it would be a non-issue!!!

we are on Riviera, non-concierge

So...

Horizons bean grinder machine, make as needed 24/7? It may not be 24/7 and only on the 2 larger ships

They do have coffee urns from 6:30am to 11 am

Terrace Cafe, is that also a bean grinder machine, or is it a big brewed urn type, 24/7 as well? Like a programmable Delonghi only bigger ;)

The two types above are perfectly fine, not crazy about the "syrup" type, so we'll be fine until Baristas opens. Like it strong, so will take a posters advice and mix regular and espresso!

Maybe with the much touted comfort of the beds, will be able to sleep past 4:45-5 am, so it would be a non-issue!!!

we are on Riviera, non-concierge

NO syrup coffee on Oceania

Room service will also deliver ;)

If memory serves, Oceania, at least on Marina, but I assume also on the "R" ships as well, serves ILLY coffee (a premium Italian coffee brand) and is above average in quality/flavor.

Yes, Oceania serves ILLY coffee fleet-wide. :D

If memory serves, Oceania, at least on Marina, but I assume also on the "R" ships as well, serves ILLY coffee (a premium Italian coffee brand) and is above average in quality/flavor.

I knew that ILLy was served in Baristas, but is that the coffee used ALL over the ship? That would be great.

If it is the same coffee that Regent offered on the Mariner in march then I think I will bring my own Nespresso machine. The only decent place to get a proper espresso on that cruise was the espresso machines near the pool or the Coffee Connection. I was really hoping for better coffee (we drink Nespresso here in Switzerland!) on Oceania. Now I am worried...

The coffee which they serve out of those flasks is pretty repulsive, weak and tasteless, so make sure you order an espresso or similar.

I take my own portable Handpresso pump and Illy pods so that we can have a decent drop of coffee with breakfast in the cabin.

All you need to order is hot water. :D

Thanks everyone for all the info!

I am not a real coffee "snob"... In fact, for an American, I've only had one Starbucks in my life...And that was in Istanbul last year, and that was for the internet.

Just like a good ol' regular cup of coffee. Will give the Horizons or Terrace a try if Baristas is not open yet.

Thanks again!

J.

The coffee which they serve out of those flasks is pretty repulsive, weak and tasteless, so make sure you order an espresso or similar.

I take my own portable Handpresso pump and Illy pods so that we can have a decent drop of coffee with breakfast in the cabin.

All you need to order is hot water. :D

I have to agree...the standard pour is weak & has little taste (but I think this is genarally the case on all cruise ships). It's probably a case of using a mild blend & water quality.

The http://www.handpresso.com/# is top of my travel gadget list, outranking even my Kindle & ipad :)

I have to agree...the standard pour is weak & has little taste (but I think this is genarally the case on all cruise ships). It's probably a case of using a mild blend & water quality.

I think it has more to do with some passenger's tastes

We like strong coffee like most Europeans, a lot of Americans like it a bit milder

We have heard comments here in Canada from tourists that Canadian coffee is too strong :eek:

We have a popular coffee store chain called "Tim Hortons" they are lined up out the door or at the drive thru (we find it mild)

Some were opened in the uSA & closed because Americans did not like the coffee

Oceania caters to the majority ;)

Just ask for a strong coffee & you will be fine;)

Lyn

We have a popular coffee store chain called "Tim Hortons" they are lined up out the door or at the drive thru (we find it mild)

I think I may be about to commit an official Canadian sin here...I can't stand Tim's, only drink it if I'm stuck. Bought a grind & brew awhile ago and get fresh beans from Whole Foods. I got excited when I heard Illy is served aboard O but now mildly concerned about the other "not so glowing" coffee reports...I do love a nice strong, fresh coffee!

I think I may be about to commit an official Canadian sin here...I can't stand Tim's, only drink it if I'm stuck. Bought a grind & brew awhile ago and get fresh beans from Whole Foods. I got excited when I heard Illy is served aboard O but now mildly concerned about the other "not so glowing" coffee reports...I do love a nice strong, fresh coffee!

We have a Delonghi coffee machine that grinds the beans at the time of brewing

We usually buy the beans from smaller coffee roasters

We find most chain coffee shops not very good so we are a bit picky ;)

Tim's in a pinch or even McD's but we prefer our home brew ;)

We loved Barristas coffee

Lyn

Archived