Onboard Expense Account: how much cash?

gladguy

I don't have a "real" credit card anymore... I've switched to a pre-paid MasterCard to keep a reign on my spending. Since that's the case, I only have a finite amount available on the card for our upcoming cruise. I was hoping to use cash to cover any onboard spending. I don't imagine it'll be much; the occasional cocktail or glass of wine, some videogame credits for the kids, maybe a Ben & Jerry's cone or eight.

How much will RCCL want to take in cash upon check-in? We are a family of 4. I imagine anything not spent will be returned upon disembarkation.

Anyone have any likewise experience? Should I just put more $$ on the MasterCard?

How much will RCCL want to take in cash upon check-in?

Your seapass card will be available to use immediately upon boarding the ship. They will let you charge up to 500.00 before asking for any money on a 7 night cruise :)

Since your sea pass cards are tied to your Mastercard, I would simply add more $ to that card. How much depends on your personal wants/needs.If it were me, I would budget at least $100 per day ( assuming pre paid gratuities). If not spent, you loose nothing.

Really depends I have had a bill under $200 for just me and my hubby when we went to Alaska but we had about $700 (with gratuities added in) for last weeks freedom with me and 2 sons. Can I plead my kids drove me to drink?? We always do cash accounts only no cc and have never had a problem. I checked daily on the interactive tv system to keep track of what our expenses were and that was a wonderful way to stay on track. I could see what each person added.

Actually, I don't think you can tie your onboard account to a "pre-paid" card.... I would bring about $1000, just to be safe...you can always put the money back in your account when you get home!

Drinks and B&J ice cream can get expensive! (You can get real ice cream in the dining room nightly, included in your fare!!) Bring more money than you think you'll need...take home what you don't use!

Really depends I have had a bill under $200 for just me and my hubby when we went to Alaska but we had about $700 (with gratuities added in) for last weeks freedom with me and 2 sons. Can I plead my kids drove me to drink?? We always do cash accounts only no cc and have never had a problem. I checked daily on the interactive tv system to keep track of what our expenses were and that was a wonderful way to stay on track. I could see what each person added.

Thanks!

So what is the process? When we check-in, we give them cash -- say $700 -- and then we are clear to spend up to that amount? What happens if we only spend $500? When do we get our leftover cash?

When there were 4 of us on our account, we immediately put $300-400 cash down on the room. Usually late on day 5 or early day 6, I would go down and add my debit card for the remaining. I think the most we've ever gone over that was $76. This is the only way we do our account onboard. It's been 4 cruises now and we've never had an issue.

have a great time!

:)

Thanks!

So what is the process? When we check-in, we give them cash -- say $700 -- and then we are clear to spend up to that amount? What happens if we only spend $500? When do we get our leftover cash?

you will give them cash at guest relations on the ship..and yes, they will give you a check that you can cash on the ship...or you can go to guest relations and i believe that they can close it out and give you the cash the last night..

What I did was take and make a call to RCCI prior to the cruise and have them give me $300 OBC. Then on the cruise I would watch to see what our balance was. On the 3rd day we had used the $300 and had a balance of like $80 we owed; so I went to guest services and added $200 more to the account. Then at the end of the cruise I paid off the remaining balance. I did want to keep some cash with me for port days, gambling, etc. RCCI's policy is they extend $500 credit before they require you to pay down your account.

If you don't want to worry about how you will get back any $ over paid, just put down $300-400 at check-in, instead of the $700. Keep an eye on your account via the tv in your stateroom, and go add more cash later during the cruise, if needed. I think that's how I would do it in this situation.

It's been a long while since I have cruised with younger children. Since you are using cash, you may want to ask upon check-in for limits to be put on the kids cards - not even sure this is possible. I know my kids loved the arcade, and when it's just a swipe of the card, it can add up fast... along with B&Js, etc.

What I did was take and make a call to RCCI prior to the cruise and have them give me $300 OBC. Then on the cruise I would watch to see what our balance was. On the 3rd day we had used the $300 and had a balance of like $80 we owed; so I went to guest services and added $200 more to the account. Then at the end of the cruise I paid off the remaining balance. I did want to keep some cash with me for port days, gambling, etc. RCCI's policy is they extend $500 credit before they require you to pay down your account.

If you don't want to worry about how you will get back any $ over paid, just put down $300-400 at check-in, instead of the $700. Keep an eye on your account via the tv in your stateroom, and go add more cash later during the cruise, if needed. I think that's how I would do it in this situation.

It's been a long while since I have cruised with younger children. Since you are using cash, you may want to ask upon check-in for limits to be put on the kids cards - not even sure this is possible. I know my kids loved the arcade, and when it's just a swipe of the card, it can add up fast... along with B&Js, etc.

Fantastic advice! Thank you!

Last time we cruised, we did indeed put limits on the kids' cards. It was a life-saver, even though our boy is very responsible like that.

Looks like we'll give them $400 or so, and I'll monitor the account daily. I don't want to tie up my limited cash or debit funds unnecessarily.

T-5 days!

Archived