Rum Point Beach

pack your bags

How can you get to Rum Point Beach without doing a stingray excursion. We were there last time that way, but only got to stay at the beach for about an hour. We would love to be able to go and stay awhile. Is there a bus or shuttle that goes there? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!!

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point when visiting by cruise ship are to book an excursion that includes a stop there or rent a car and drive there yourself.

Buses don't run there and taxis that far are very expensive (plus you'd have to prearrange the return trip since there wouldn't be any taxis available in the area).

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point when visiting by cruise ship are to book an excursion that includes a stop there or rent a car and drive there yourself.

Buses don't run there and taxis that far are very expensive (plus you'd have to prearrange the return trip since there wouldn't be any taxis available in the area).

Thanks for the info!!!!

This is often asked here. We have been to GC twice this year and can't seem to find anyway to get there except on our own. Wish someone in the tour business there would catch on to the fact that some of us would like a ride there. It just takes so much time to rent a car and return it and always make us nervous that we won't get back to the ship. We want an East end tour that ends at Rum point.

This is often asked here. We have been to GC twice this year and can't seem to find anyway to get there except on our own. Wish someone in the tour business there would catch on to the fact that some of us would like a ride there. It just takes so much time to rent a car and return it and always make us nervous that we won't get back to the ship. We want an East end tour that ends at Rum point.

If it was a profitable proposition, there would be a service/tour available. Trust me. :)

There is a Jeep "Safari" tour that supposedly stops a Rum Point before heading back to GT. But most reviews I have read seem to indicate they "always run out of time" before getting to Rum Point and either simply drive by or skip it all-together.

Our first trip to Rum Point Beach was with Nativeways on their stingray tour. We loved it so much, we have rented cars 3 times and driven ourself. We will be back in Grand Cayman in Oct/13, and plan to rent a car and drive back over. Rum Points IS PARADISE!

I have heard that there is a ferry you can take over to Rum Point. Maybe from in front of the Hilton or Hyatt (can't remember which).

Anyone know anything about this?

The Rum Point ferry is a Red Sail Sports cat that is free for those having dinner at the restaurant at RP. It departs Safehaven Dock 6PM Thurs - Sat. We're taking it this Sat even though we're renting a car for the week.

The buses to RP aren't reliable enough, and a taxi is about $70 each way for up to 3 ppl.

You can rent a 4-door sedan for $40 or a compact for even less if you have a credit card that covers the insurance abroad like the Venture One card. Otherwise add another $30.

We are going to be on GC in November and are cruising with my elderly parents (early 80s). They really would like to return to Rum Point, but don't want to take an excursion which includes a boat. Does anyone know if you can hire a private tour to take you there as opposed to driving yourself?

For those of you who have rented a car, how big a hassle is that? Is the rental place nearby? How much time do you a lot for renting, driving and returning the car?

Thanks!

We rented a car and drove around the island. It was by far the easiest way to get around and it was inexpensive too. If you check out my review link in my signature, it details where we rented the car from, where we visited on the island and directions too. Enjoy!

Our first trip to Rum Point Beach was with Nativeways on their stingray tour. We loved it so much, we have rented cars 3 times and driven ourself. We will be back in Grand Cayman in Oct/13, and plan to rent a car and drive back over. Rum Points IS PARADISE!

How long does it take to rent a car and drive over? Do you pre-reserve or rent when you get there? Do you recall the cost? Is it hard to drive in Cayman? What was your favorite restaurant at Rum Point?

Thanks so much!:)

Car rentals work pretty much the same way they do at home. It's even a lot of the same chains.

Prebooking online is best. Most places have a shuttle that can pick you up near the pier. We usually pay about $40 for the smallest car.

I'd allow an hour to deal with getting to the rental place and doing the paperwork.

Rum Point is easy to get to, and the rental place can give you a map.

There is only one restaurant at Rum Point, at least that's open during the day, so that's my favourite... :grin:

We drive on the left in Cayman. It is very easy driving on flat, paved, and mostly well maintained roads. Most major intersections are controlled by roundabouts (traffic circles).

It is very easy when following a car in front of you. It can be a little tricky if you are pulling out from a parking lot onto an empty road - your instinct would be to pull onto the righthand (incorrect for Cayman) side of the road.

Roundabouts simply require you to yield to traffic already within the traffic circle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Wreck Grill at Rum Point takes credit cards. Great mudslide and grouper BLT!

Twins mom definitely rent a car and drive to Rum Point, easy drive and we prefer that to SMB. Specify a left hand drive car unless you don't care. Took me a few days to get used to the right hand drive in the left lane:eek:

Thanks, ya'll. I just knew CC readers would have the answer. The guy at Carnival just rather blew us off with 'some places on some excursions utilize credit cards but not all' when I had specifically asked about a ship's excursion. He did finally contact the shore excursions dept and get back to me with an affirmative answer for Rum Point Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread. I stayed at week at Morritt's on the East End of Grand Cayman last January and went to Rum Point twice. The beach at the resort was nice, but Rum Point was wonderful. I really don't care for the built up area of Grand Cayman and could care less about returning other than to go to Rum Point again.

My friend and I rented a car for the week. Driving on the left is easy since there is little traffic once you're out of Georgetown and not really all that difficult even along 7 Mile Beach area. I've driven in the UK which helped, too.

Allow about an hour to get to Rum Point. Find some lounge chairs, have your favorite drink, buy a t-shirt or something in the gift shop and swim in the beautiful Caribbean.

Yes easy drive and the best mudslides are at RP. We considered buying at the Reef on the East End because it is quieter and RP is a great spot to visit to be away from the crowds. It does get busy on Sundays because the locals go there.

The grouper BLT is excellent at RP.

Archived