CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

What is your maximum budget for 2 hotel rooms including tax for 2 nights, lodging for your car, tolls, and transportation into the city if you stay in NJ? Once you have that number we ca give better advice. If you've never driven in Manhattan, I'd would think twice about that option.

What time of day do you expect to arrive? It might be possible to stay the first night at the airport for the less expensive hotel and take small carryons and stay the next night in Manhattan leaving the car at the airport.

Any recommendation for a NYC tour with pickup at the Bayonne cruise port and dropoff at Newark Airport? We have done the post cruise tour through Royal Caribbean previously but found we spent most of the day sitting on a tour bus. Looking for a tour that allows more flexibility. Thank you!

I just got back from the Quantum cruise and for anyone wanting to do a day tour of NYC but don't want to pay the prices. Take a Path to the subway and take subways around or walk.

These are the choices I can make. This is not related to any one post just some suggestions.

These hotels are close by the Path that will take you to Harold's Square where you can then take the subway around NYC.

Hotels I recommend:

Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City

Hyatt Regency in Jersey City

Car Service that has been fantastic both times I have been in the area:

American Empire Limousine, LLC Phone: 973-917-3170

Edited by Cam6959

My husband and I are cruising on the Summit in May. We are driving down the day (or two) before. After reading through a lot of this thread, it seems like one good option is to stay in Parsipanny the night before, with an easy drive to the port in the morning. We like easy!

But I also see that the Hilton EWR has a pretty good price for a cruise package with parking.

We would like to sightsee a bit in New Jersey, (not NYC this trip) and would also like to avoid really busy driving. But the price of the package is pretty good when you factor in parking. So I am a bit undecided.

Would there be enough to see in and around Parsipanny for one full day? Is it too crazy driving around EWR?

Advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Parsippany is nice, and there are places to shop...the airport area is, well, ugly but Jersey Gardens outlet mall may provide something to do...

Driving around EWR is hell on wheels....if you stay, stick to the Glimcher Realty way hotels....courtyard and residence inn elizabeth, country inns or embassy suites.

I paid 60 plus tip for my car service from a hotel close by, and he even stopped to pick up 138east at the light rail for just a couple extra dollars....

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Edited by megr1125

Where do you want to go?

The livery service at Cape Liberty is controlled by the taxi dispatcher. Prices to the most common destinations are posted. Options include private cars and shared shuttles to Newark Airport as well as private cars to NYC and the other NY airports.

A livery car can pick up at Cape Liberty only if it is prebooked by a passenger or if it goes through the taxi dispatcher. There are not random taxis lined up to be grabbed by disembarking passengers. The cars are staged in a cell phone lot and summoned by the dispatcher for pickups.

Carol...how are you enjoying the Quantum?

In a sense there actually are random taxis lined up at Cape Liberty. It's not as if you need prior reservations (I know you know that but I think your post could be misinterpreted by someone not familiar with Cape Liberty)...you just have to go to the taxi dispatcher who will summon the next taxi in line .

In a sense there actually are random taxis lined up at Cape Liberty. It's not as if you need prior reservations (I know you know that but I think your post could be misinterpreted by someone not familiar with Cape Liberty)...you just have to go to the taxi dispatcher who will summon the next taxi in line .

Heehee

We escaped the blizzard...hee hee

:p:D

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Where do you want to go?

The livery service at Cape Liberty is controlled by the taxi dispatcher. Prices to the most common destinations are posted. Options include private cars and shared shuttles to Newark Airport as well as private cars to NYC and the other NY airports.

A livery car can pick up at Cape Liberty only if it is prebooked by a passenger or if it goes through the taxi dispatcher. There are not random taxis lined up to be grabbed by disembarking passengers. The cars are staged in a cell phone lot and summoned by the dispatcher for pickups.

Carol....I will be coming from Union City. I am just figuring which is more cost efficient/convenient....to just drive to the port and park or taxi it. Hate standing around waiting....so just want to make sure that getting a taxi from the port is an easy quick convenient process.

I'm having a great time. Not experiencing the issues that folks are posting endlessly about. San Juan was cancelled so we didn't have to spend 24 hours in 30 ft seas. Wifi is free. Solo balcony is terrific. Ship is gorgeous. And as Meg said we're missing the blizzard. What more can you ask for.

Thanks Lisa....Light rail is an option as I am in walking distance....how easy is it to get a taxi from 34th station to port?

You call Bayonne Taxi. I don't have the number handy here on the Quantm, but you can call them to find out what you have to do to get them to pick you up.

Paul - those are the numbers I have in my iPad.

I lucked out this time. Meg's car service driver swung by the light rail and picked me up too since we arrived at Cape Liberty at the same time around 10:10. I think earlier is better because the drivers have a better chance of picking up a fare when they get into the port. I was on the ship by 11 am which was perfect. My deck was already open so I just went to my cabin and unpacked, but others had to wait for their decks to open. It's all in the luck of the draw as to how the timing works.

Yes, but not for several years when it was a Holiday Inn. Good basic airport hotel that a lot of Cape Liberty cruisers use for a park sleep. No problems reported leaving cars there. Hotel has a restaurant, sports bar, and cafe which many hotels don't have.