Dover Castle

dogs4fun

I am hopeful that one of the British experts can help me.

Next May, we arrive Dover @ 7:00 am & leave @ 3:00 pm.

Not much time to see Dover Castle (including the tunnels, church, etc) & get back aboard ship if the castle doesn't open until 10:00 am (as listed on website).

Question #1:

I read on "The Friends of Dover Castle" website that Dover castle is open to cruise ship visitors at 9:15 am.

http://www.dover-castle-friends.org/visitorInfo/

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true & do you have to be on a ship tour or can you DIY?

Question #2:

Which of the castle's two main entrances would you recommend -- the Cannon's Gateway entrance or the Constable's Gateway?

Thanks,

jill

The castle is open to everyone and is not far from Dover port. You will be able to take a taxi there very easily.

I don't know which is the best entrance, but I would just ask the taxi driver to take you to the castle and I am sure he will take you to the appropriate place.

• 5 months later...
There will be taxis and shuttles right outside the terminal. The rate is standard at 7gbp per 4 passenger taxi-not per person.

The shuttle buses go into town center and then on to the Castle. Cost is $5 US or 3 pounds.

You can pay The shuttle bus in USD? It appears that you possibly can from their web site, and it sort of appears like that's being confirmed here, but I just want to make sure. Of course I could also email the company, then I could ask them if they'll be servicing our cruise also or if NCL contracts someone else. But that would, of course, be too easy! ;)

If one enjoys walking, is the castle within walking distance? We normally walk about 2 miles at home and enjoy getting some exercise in port.

Thanks.

If you do you may be too tired to do the castle grounds

It is uphill

I would take a taxi & walk back if you still need to walk more ;)

I did end up emailing the company...they do take Pounds Sterling; Euros; AND USD. They'll also be servicing our cruise in May, which I'm very happy to hear.

Our plan is to take their shuttle into Dover town center (buying a round-trip Ship-Town-Castle ticket, which is $7), then buying a Family day pass for the local bus service for our round-trip between Dover and Canterbury (10 pounds). Time permitting, the local bus service coming back then goes on to Dover Castle, so we can take it there and catch the shuttle for the final journey back to the ship. If time doesn't permit then we'll just leave the local bus in the town center and pick up the return shuttle in town instead.

I did end up emailing the company...they do take Pounds Sterling; Euros; AND USD. They'll also be servicing our cruise in May, which I'm very happy to hear.

Our plan is to take their shuttle into Dover town center (buying a round-trip Ship-Town-Castle ticket, which is $7), then buying a Family day pass for the local bus service for our round-trip between Dover and Canterbury (10 pounds). Time permitting, the local bus service coming back then goes on to Dover Castle, so we can take it there and catch the shuttle for the final journey back to the ship. If time doesn't permit then we'll just leave the local bus in the town center and pick up the return shuttle in town instead.

Hi bigwally,

Is Dover castle open at 9:15 on the day you will be in port? If so, may I ask what day in May you will be in Dover?

Guess I could email the english heritage site myself, eh?

jill

We would also like to do this in order to get to Canterbury-Celebrity is not offering its Canterbury excursion on this sailing. Have you checked the bus schedule from Dover to Canterbury? The one schedule I found shows very limited or no service on Sunday.

Glenn:cool:

I don't know your available time in port - I suspect it might not give you sufficient time to do justice to both Canterbury & Dover Castle, but it's certainly do-able.

Quickest & cheapest way to Canterbury is the train, broadly two direct trains per hour (hourly on sundays), journey time is under 30 mins and some are as quick as 16 mins. Ask for a "cheap day-return" ticket which costs £7.90, the same price as a one-way ticket. It's an open return ticket, for any train back to Dover same-day.

It's probably worth taking a taxi from station to Castle because of the hill.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Your train journey is Dover Priory to Canterbury East.

JB :)

We would also like to do this in order to get to Canterbury-Celebrity is not offering its Canterbury excursion on this sailing. Have you checked the bus schedule from Dover to Canterbury? The one schedule I found shows very limited or no service on Sunday.

Glenn:cool:

I would agree that the train is the better option here plus Canterbury East brings you out right onto the city walls but if you want to investigate the bus, the most regular services are run by stagecoach (Google stagecoach bus, put the area as Canterbury and then search journeys between Dover and Canterbury).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

We're in town on Saturday, May 4th. I did look at train tickets, but I can't get anything as cheap as 8 quid return to come up for the dates I want. Besides which, I thought the Open Top Bus might drop us more conveniently for the bus than the train. Though I suppose we could also get a taxi to Priory station.

We're in town on Saturday, May 4th. I did look at train tickets, but I can't get anything as cheap as 8 quid return to come up for the dates I want. Besides which, I thought the Open Top Bus might drop us more conveniently for the bus than the train. Though I suppose we could also get a taxi to Priory station.

Just double-checked rail prices for your date, still showing £7.90 return.

This for same-day return.

Have you entered the stations correctly?

When entering your date etc, also click on the "return" box & put in the same date for your return journey.

If you bought a single ticket, it'd also cost £7.90. And another £7.90 for a single back to Dover. :eek:

Yes, local bus rather than train is probably a little more convenient for the shuttle bus.

Just double-checked rail prices for your date, still showing £7.90 return.

This for same-day return.

Have you entered the stations correctly?

When entering your date etc, also click on the "return" box & put in the same date for your return journey.

If you bought a single ticket, it'd also cost £7.90. And another £7.90 for a single back to Dover. :eek:

Yes, local bus rather than train is probably a little more convenient for the shuttle bus.

I'll give it another try. I'm pretty sure I did return and same day. But the cheapest fare was like 16 quid.

Edit: Yeah, I just tried again..15.60 each passenger is the cheapest fare shown. I'll post screenshots later and maybe you can see if I'm doing anything wrong?

Edit 2: Ah, I think I got it...you have to select "open return"!

I'll give it another try. I'm pretty sure I did return and same day. But the cheapest fare was like 16 quid.

Edit: Yeah, I just tried again..15.60 each passenger is the cheapest fare shown. I'll post screenshots later and maybe you can see if I'm doing anything wrong?

Edit 2: Ah, I think I got it...you have to select "open return"!

I doubt it - open return means any day.

I entered 4th May out & 6th May back and it came up with £15.60

Are we both looking at the same hymn sheet??:confused:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Big blue box, where you complete your journey details. Put in your Dover to Canterbury details, then tick the little "return" box, which highlights the box for you to change the date of your return to the same as the outward journey. Time of your return journey is irrelevant to the cost.

Can't link the completed details cos it times-out.

No worries if you can't figure it, & it may be different from a computer on your side of the Pond.

At the station just ask for "cheap day-returns" & you'll be charged £7.80 per person

(mebbe a small annual increase between now & then)

Maybe not...I'm checking on the Southeastern Railways website.

Checked it on there.

Didn't like it, not a user-friendly website.

But I did still come up with £7.90.;)

"Kids for a quid" also seems to cost £7.90 :D

Nat Rail website is much easier.

Archived