Not Looking Good For Last Veendam Bermuda Run

HamOp

Looks ok for the folks including myself for the 8/26 Voyage on the Veendam. Projected

Forecast of winds < 30 knots with 8'- 10' swells as we approach BDA early Tuesday Morning.

Expecting a slight delay at the worst at this time.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/gridded_marine/ifp/index.php?loop&large&basin=nh2&parm=waveheight#contents

http://www.weather.bm/forecastmarineextended.asp

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41048

I'm currently on board the Veendam. Several Bermudians I spoke with were not concerned about the storm's effect on Bermuda, but sailing to Bermuda is obviously a different matter. I certainly hope the Veendam is able to make it to Bermuda next week. Shop keepers and taxi drivers in Hamilton mentioned how much the Veendam will be missed. Best wishes to all concerned - S.

Yes, VEENDAM will be missed for sure.

Pity I did not know you were aboard. Could have said hello. I had lunch in Port of Call on Wednesday with two good friends sailing in VEENDAM and the made it to Le Cirque on Thursday with some more friends on board.

I watched the ship sail yesterday afternoon. It will be a long time before we see a ship as handsome as VEENDAM in Hamilton Harbour again. It was certinly a beautiful day. Very 'tropical' with lots of great clouds in the brightest blue sky. We have been getting not so much rain this summer but enough small showers to keep everything lush and green. The islands look their best on days like yesterday and so did VEENDAM.... not a spot of rust in sight anywhere... thanks to all the great efforts of her crew this summer... and the rented cherry picker on the barge so that they could reach every part.

I hope the passengers who felt inconvenienced by a bit of noise and the smell of wet paint apprectate that it is work that must be done.

Stephen

Yes, VEENDAM will be missed for sure.

Pity I did not know you were aboard. Could have said hello. I had lunch in Port of Call on Wednesday with two good friends sailing in VEENDAM and the made it to Le Cirque on Thursday with some more friends on board.

I watched the ship sail yesterday afternoon. It will be a long time before we see a ship as handsome as VEENDAM in Hamilton Harbour again. It was certinly a beautiful day. Very 'tropical' with lots of great clouds in the brightest blue sky. We have been getting not so much rain this summer but enough small showers to keep everything lush and green. The islands look their best on days like yesterday and so did VEENDAM.... not a spot of rust in sight anywhere... thanks to all the great efforts of her crew this summer... and the rented cherry picker on the barge so that they could reach every part.

I hope the passengers who felt inconvenienced by a bit of noise and the smell of wet paint apprectate that it is work that must be done.

Stephen

Hi Stephen. We are looking forward to a day in Bermuda next May while on a Transatlantic crossing on the Prinsendam. Since she is smaller than the Veendam we most certainly should be docking in downtown Hamilton.

I totally fell in love with Bermuda during our 2010 visit on the Veendam. You are so fortunate to be able to call it home. Hopefully HAL will have a regular Bermuda itinerary in place again in the not too distant future.

Archived