Not Looking Good For Last Veendam Bermuda Run

HamOp

I know the capt. of the Veendam will do everything in his power to keep the ship safe, but T/S Jocye looks like it could hit Bermuda just as the final call of the Veendam is about to arrive.

TSJoyce.jpg

We were on the Bermuda cruise when Irene passed through last year. The good part was that it hit the US not Bermuda, so we were only delayed a day. (GETTING to NYC was the bad part :eek:)

Ilooks like Joyce will be smack dab in the middle of Bermuda. There isn't any good way to guess what the storm will do, but if the captain can, he possibly could sail to north for a day - letting the storm pass, then head for Bermuda for a day or two. Looks like it will be gone by Tuesday. The worst part of a hurricane is to the east....and it looks like Joyce will pass mostly to the east, sparing the island the worst of the storm.

With Isaac in the fray, I doubt he'd head south. Just try to remember that you are on vacation, relax and enjoy where ever you end up!!!

We were on the Bermuda cruise when Irene passed through last year. the good part of that is that it hut the US not Bermuda, so we were only delayed a day. (GETTING to NYC was the bad part :eek:)

Since it looks like Joyce will be smack dab in the middle of Bermuda. There isn't any good way to guess what the storm will do, but if the captain can, he possibly could sail to north for a day - letting the storm pass, then head for Bermuda for a day or two.

With Isaac in the fray, I doubt he'd head south. The worst part of a hurricane is to the east....and it looks like Joyce will pass mostly to the west of the island. Just try to remember that you are on vacation, relax and enjoy where ever you end up!!!

I remember all the posts about Irene and the problems of getting to the ship. Hard to believe that's a year ago already. With so much attention on Isaac, I wasn't aware of Joyce.

We went to Bermuda on a Labor Day many years ago when hurricane Eduardo passed between the US and Bermuda. Some ships sailed through it (Zenith went to Bermuda took a wave and had a BIG dent in the bow) and some went to Canada instead. People who went to Canada were unhappy because they had packed for Bermuda and beaches, not for a more northern cruise. We were on QE2, so we had the speed to plow through the rough seas. We were rockin' and rollin', but no damage and we arrived on time. The only ship out of NYC to go to its original destination and arrive on time--the captain missed no opportunity to remind us of that!

R/T New England? Or I hear Nantucket is nice this time of year. Hey Innlady, can you handle 1,200 extra guests?

Sorry, if they visit any port they must visit a foreign port due to PVSA. If they rule out Bermuda early on, they would probably start with Canada, perhaps Hailfax, Yarmouth, or St. John, then could head to Boston or Newport. Just a guess.

Roy

Sorry, if they visit any port they must visit a foreign port due to PVSA. If they rule out Bermuda early on, they would probably start with Canada, perhaps Hailfax, Yarmouth, or St. John, then could head to Boston or Newport. Just a guess.

Roy

Can an exception to the PVSA be obtained in an emergency (like rerouting for a hurricane)?

Two years ago, Hurricane Igor came calling towards Bermuda. A (wise) decision was made, by Captain Peter Harris at the time, not to go to Bermuda. Veendam sailed an alternate itinerary to Charleston, SC, Port Canaveral, FL and Nassau, the Bahamas

They really do not want to come up this way. Last night's TV forecast had Joyce affecting the Maritimes by the end of next week.

We have been told that our very hot summer with resultant warmer water will give us stronger storms and hurricanes this year.

I know the capt. of the Veendam will do everything in his power to keep the ship safe, but T/S Jocye looks like it could hit Bermuda just as the final call of the Veendam is about to arrive.

TSJoyce.jpg

Thank you for the information.

Sad that th last Bermuda may experience problems with a tropical storm.

They really do not want to come up this way. Last night's TV forecast had Joyce affecting the Maritimes by the end of next week.

We have been told that our very hot summer with resultant warmer water will give us stronger storms and hurricanes this year.

That isn't good.

But - hate to say it -- the weather everywhere has been.

We have had more hail storms in one month than we have had in years. And one of them was so bad that hundreds of us are having to replace our roofs.

Joyce is just a post-tropical depression (winds < 39 mph) that should be past Bermuda by Tues morning. I doubt that they'll go somewhere else.

That's great news for the Veendam and the other ships headed to Bermuda next week.:)

It still might be a little bumpy but at this time it doesn't seem like Joyce will pose a big problem to the ships.

Bermuda dodged a bullet.

The forecast keeps improving. Yea! I've been watching it for days in anticipation of our return to Bermuda on the Veendam. (We did it in July and loved it so much, we booked again for the final one.) So glad it looks like we'll make it to Bermuda. We're staying on for the 13 night Canada/New England and I was starting to think we'd have 2 cruises to Canada!

Will the Maasdam be in the Maritimes then?

Roy

The forecast keeps improving. Yea! I've been watching it for days in anticipation of our return to Bermuda on the Veendam. (We did it in July and loved it so much, we booked again for the final one.) So glad it looks like we'll make it to Bermuda. We're staying on for the 13 night Canada/New England and I was starting to think we'd have 2 cruises to Canada!

Way to go!! That sounds like a great trip to me.

Don't worry......... even if you were to have additional cruising in Canada/New England, it wouldn't be a bad thing. We do it year after year,b-to-b and never tire of it. :)

Oh no, not a bad thing at all. :) Just so looking forward to one more visit to Bermuda on the Veendam. But, we love the ship life, so we're happy no matter what.

I'm currently on board the Veendam. Several Bermudians I spoke with were not concerned about the storm's effect on Bermuda, but sailing to Bermuda is obviously a different matter. I certainly hope the Veendam is able to make it to Bermuda next week. Shop keepers and taxi drivers in Hamilton mentioned how much the Veendam will be missed. Best wishes to all concerned - S.

Archived