Holland Line Opinions Please

mteacher

New to cruising, I would like to ask for any opinions on Holland America, the Zaandam ship in particular. I would like to book a Southbound cruise next summer on this line and ship, but know nothing about them. I would just like to try something different. I've been on Carnival, Princess and Royal before, and that's all - one cruise each. May I ask for any thoughts/ opinions? I think my questions would be what kind of line are they? What is their staff like? Is the food good? I think I ask the question about food because my last cruise on Carnival, the food was of poor quality. Is the Zaandam a comfortable ship? Has it been well maintained? Is it clean? Just simple questions from anyone who has been on this ship before. We loved Alaska this year on Princess, and want to go back, but would like to try a different company, just for variety's sake.

Many thanks.

I'm probably repeating myself, but I'm still new to this site. I would like to book a Southbound Alaska cruise next summer on Holland, sailing on the Zaandam ship. I've only cruised a few times on other lines, but would like to try someone new. Any thoughts/ suggestions? Many thanks.

I have been on Princess, Disney and Cunard.

My one and only HAL cruise (so far) was on the Westerdam.

The beds were very comfortable.

Oceanviews and up, have sofas/loveseats.

And tub and shower.

The service was excellent. The staff was super friendly, courteous and very helpful.

The food and service in the MDR was great. Desserts were very good and they offered sugar free at every meal.

Based on my experience on the Westerdam, I would sail with HAL again without hesitation.

Yes, so specific questions would help, but here's my 2c:

We've cruised on a number of lines. We've been on BIG ships and small ships - each has its own character. While we like some a lot, there are a few we'd rather not go on again. We usually pick a cruise based upon the itinerary, rather than being a 'loyalist' and going where ever our favorite line goes to.

I'm sure there are many that will disagree, but to us, there are many similarities to all lines: food, entertainment, pools, games. Some are better than others at one thing and not so good at another, but 'good' is very subjective. I would suggest that you try a variety of lines and see which one(s) best suit your style of cruising.

We have always enjoyed out HAL cruises, but we've enjoyed other lines as well. I will say that the staff on HAL cruises have always been the BEST!! Just remember that you are on vacation and enjoy the trip - where ever it may go!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic - I'm sure you'll find the answers you are looking for....there are wonderful folk on these boards. They will help you out any way they can!

You will get varying answers. HAL is my favored line, and I don't think they can be beat for Alaska. We did just a Southbound cruise the first time, then returned for a 3 day Northbound cruise with 8 day land tour into the Yukon and interior Alaska the 2nd time.

Check the prices, port times, itinerary etc. I usually start a graph chart if I'm unsure. With the cruiselines across the top, and the important things to me (ship size, cabin, ports, price, excursions, etc down the side). As I research I put an "X" in the conjoining box. As you near the completion of your research, one should have more "X's" than the others.

Just be sure to plan as much time as you can (more is better). Either a cruisetour or a cruise + independent time there.

I haven't been on the Zaandam, but I like HAL ship size and ambiance. The fresh flowers, the teak wood promenade deck that circles the whole ship, the plush beds, & the friendly staff. Is what I think of as a sailing vessel, not an adventure park. JMHO.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise! Alaska is awesome!

hal and princess are very similar. hal's cabins are a bit nicer and larger. most hal cabins have a small sitting are (avoid any cabin described as regular). passengers are older to much older (depending on the length of the cruise) on hal - that can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. food, entertainment, etc are very close. if you like the itinerary, give it a try.

Alaska cruises mostly happen when school is out so there would be more children than on other times. However, we went in May and there was one child we ever saw. HAL tends to have less children than some other lines so if you want children's activities and rock climbing and crazy slides you might want to think about other lines. If you want friendly, clean, comfortable think HAL. We went to Alaska on the Amsterdam which is like a sister to the Zaandam and will be sailing the Zaandam to Hawaii soon so we think the ships are great. We enjoyed the food, the crew and look forward to our next cruise.

I sailed Northbound and Southbound on Zaandam earlier this year. Love the itinerary. HAL gets prime docking spot in port. Cabins are roomy with lots of drawers & hanging space, especially for a 7 day cruise. Crew are friendly & gracious. Great Room service and nice meals in the main dining room. You can't go wrong sailing in Alaska and the Inside Passage with Holland America Line.:)

Weve been on a few HAL ships and trips and loved them all.

The passengers do skew a bit older, but that tells me its a better deal. Older folks KNOW the value of a dollar and tend to get their moneys worth.

If your a night owl and looking for wee hour action,you may be a bit disapointed.

Also, if your looking for water slides,rock climbing, or activity games on deck every half hour,HALs not for you. Its a more "traditional" line, and thats a big draw for us. ( We're in our early 60's)

Great crews, very good food and service,clean ships.

Remember,like all ships, the weather can dictate changes. Even large ships become very small in an ocean.

I think you're wise to be trying several cruise lines. We all have our opinions about what is best and they differ widely, but your opinion is the only one that counts. Barring information suggesting that a cruise line is really not for you (and if you liked Princess I don't think that would be true for you), then your first hand impressions are the most productive and pleasant way to assess the cruise line. I sailed the Zaandam in February on a Far Eastern itinerary and completely enjoyed it. The crew was absolutely superb. At the time I sailed there were concerns about the condition of the ship and I posted a review at the time of my findings. Judge for yourself about the individual flaws, but they did not detract in the least from a great cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1568285

Roy

The Holland American ships ALL offer better, more adult and quality than any of the ships or lines you have sailed on in all catigories.

Holland America the passengers are more well traveled and are of a type than can entertain themselves rather than needing to be entertained

Holland America ships are one to 2 steps above the ones you have sailed in every respect, in my opinion.

Above Holland America is Oceaina; above that, Regent , Crystal and Silversea

We've been on a fair number of HAL cruises and it never ceases to amaze me that our cabin steward always knows our names!

When we leave our cabin, we always hear a cheery "Good Morning Miss Carole....and Mr. Bob". It always makes me smile!

Our last cruise was on RCI - our steward was pleasant enough, but I sure did miss him calling me by name.

Thank you for posting your questions. I will be sailing on the Ryndam this October. I have cruised many times on Princess, RCCL, NCL and Carnival, I have enjoyed every cruise and each one had different things to offer. This will be my first HA cruise and I will have to report back when I return from this trip.

What I have found and continue to do is research well before I choose, and CC is the perfect place to do that. The information is amazing and very helpful. I made my choice by itinerary, price, and information I read here. Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and trying new things is always good.

We had sailed a number of times on Celebrity, Princess, sailed RCI and Carnival, sort of, but we settled on HAL long ago as our cruise line of choice. We only sail HAL as they have become our 'cruise home'. :)

I've sailed Princess a few times and believe its a good product but I do believe they "nickle and dime" you a lot. A few examples that come to mind is HAL provides complimentary capucino with meals, real ice-cream available throughout the day and towels on the pool deck are readily available without having to sign for them, etc. I also prefer their mid-size ships, like Zandam, which tops out with about 1200-1400 guests compared to over 2,000 on Princess. The mainly Southeast Asian crew always seems to have a smile and seems to enjoy their jobs. Princess has it over HAL only in the entertainment area, in my view.

I'm probably repeating myself, but I'm still new to this site. I would like to book a Southbound Alaska cruise next summer on Holland, sailing on the Zaandam ship. I've only cruised a few times on other lines, but would like to try someone new. Any thoughts/ suggestions? Many thanks.

Welcome to CC. Enjoy your planning!!!

I have been on two HAL Alaska cruises and was very happy with both. However, in my mind, HAL has watered down their itineraries. On their one ways they used to include two scenic sailings....college fjords and Glacier Bay. Now it is just Glacier Bay. Princess, on the other hand, offers both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay on their southbound itineraries. Having been to all the major scenic sailing areas that the mainstream cruiselines visit, I would have to say that the SB Princess and the NB NCL appeal me to me the most. I typically go on vacation for the scenery, and to me Princess and NCL beat out HAL on the way one-way cruises in Alaska. JMHO

Asking about HA on this board is like going to an Ohio State Pep Rally and asking if anyone likes Ohio State. :).

Hank

Well, not everyone here is a HAL cheerleader. I do like HAL and I think they do many things very well, but I also think there are things other cruise lines do better. If your looking for a mature, intelligent, genteel, mostly quiet group of passengers, HAL has that. If you're looking for elegant surroundings and a more "traditional" style, HAL does that well. If you're looking for good, no excuses service, HAL does pretty well. If you're looking for good food, well served in a nice atmosphere, HAL does pretty well. If your looking for interesting itineraries with lots of ports of call, HAL is a winner. If you're looking for a large comfortable cabin and lots of uncrowded spaces, HAL is great.

But!

If you're looking for a lively, energetic, rowdy fun atmosphere you won't find much of that on HAL. If you have kids and you want them to be well entertained, HAL is not a good choice. If you like nightlife and partying into the wee hours, you'll be disappointed with HAL. If you like rock climbing walls, wave riders, water slides, ice rinks and bowling alleys, don't book with HAL. If you want locale specific music at the pool, such as a steel drum band in the Caribbean, forget about HAL.

While they have many great things to offer, many things that some people like and want simply are not available on Holland America.

Archived