Best Day to go to the Steakhouse?

We have booked the steakhouse for first night of our upcoming cruise. We always eat one night in the speciality restuarant but have never gone on the first night. Got to thinking that when we wait and go later in the cruise we have been eating and eating for several days and are never really hungry. The first day we will actually be hungry at dinner and I think we will enjoy it much more. Plus being able to choose our time to eat that night. We plan on going into the MDR to meet our waiter and tell him we won't be eating there that night but to expect us the next night. We travel with family and always sit together so meeting new table mates is not a problem.

And the free bottle of wine will be a nice touch.

Speaking about the steakhouse. I made reservations and they have been accepted. When do you think I will know which day they are for?

Speaking about the steakhouse. I made reservations and they have been accepted. When do you think I will know which day they are for?

For which day day did you make your reservation? If you made reservations and they were accepted, wouldn't you know which day your reservation was scheduled? Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

After 30 some cruises we are doing things a bit different on the Dream...ATD...steakhouse the first night...and doing the Chef's Table for the second time...

We usually don't even go to the steakhouse...dining room food is usually sufficient but doing it the first night I think we'll enjoy it more..as we will be excited about food...by day five or six...I'm sick of food!! Also hoping we have the Chef's Table on Tuesday....I just don't eat that day and take it slow and easy...so we can finish the complete dinner:D

When you filled out the form to make your reservations you would have chosen a date. When you got your confirmation the date and time would have been listed on that.

I wonder if mss is talking about the Chef's table as when those reservations are made, no date or time is given. If that's it, then you should have something in your cabin when you board I think.

I'm not sure though as we haven't gone to the Chef's table, but perhaps someone can help you with that. I do know that on some ships they have the Chef's table two nights but here again, I don't know which nights.

I wonder if mss is talking about the Chef's table as when those reservations are made, no date or time is given. If that's it, then you should have something in your cabin when you board I think.

I'm not sure though as we haven't gone to the Chef's table, but perhaps someone can help you with that. I do know that on some ships they have the Chef's table two nights but here again, I don't know which nights.

You're probably right.

When you filled out the form to make your reservations you would have chosen a date. When you got your confirmation the date and time would have been listed on that.

Thanks Everyone, after I posted my question, I realized I may have overlooked something when making my reservations, which was exactly what my question was about, lol. I had overlooked the fact that I did put in a date for my visit, duhh I blame it on old age and too much surfing the web for information.

Thanks again everyone.

Cruise number 5 coming up and I will finally be on a ship with a steakhouse. :D Which day is best to book during a 7 day cruise?

My favorite night at the Steakhouse is the last night. I’ve never cared for the meal nor service in the main dining room on the final evening (just feels below par like the staff is over this week, needs a breather before they start over again the following night). I also currently reside in a not-so-sophisticated area of the USA so a last-night trip to the Carnival Steakhouse holds me over until I can make it to the big city, wherever that might be, for a fine dining experience!! ;) Love ya, ROA! :p

Enjoy your planning, CollegeCruizer11! :cool:

IMHO better to just pick a night and not worry. First night we like to meet our tablemates and dining room servers.

I agree. But we like to do the Lido grill or something fast. To be honest, we're just not that hungry at dinner time the first day as we've been nibbling ALL AFTERNOON. Naughty us!

Dang! I forgot I also had a question. I thought that I saw on another thread that was discussing taxes, if you get BV liquor or eat at the steakhouse before the ship gets into international waters, you would be charged state taxes on your meal/liquor. This would be an issue for anyone sailing the Pride out of Baltimore. We don't hit open water till the middle of the night, well after dinner. Not that it will affect me, seeing that I don't plan on eating in the steakhouse the first night.

And I still didn't ask a proper question. But you all get the point, I'm sure.

The best day to go is the first night when it's not too crowded and they gift you the free bottle of wine. In some ports like Boston and Baltimore you may pay the tax if you're not out of state waters, but we're talking less than $5 and the wine they're gifting you is more than that.

We're still going to go the first night regardless of being taxed. It's just a few dollars. And we're always starved the first night. Early lunch when we board and then busy with getting settled in so we don't do very much if any snacking.

And another reason-the last two times we have cruised Carnival out of Baltimore they have tried to seat us at a booth for dinner. There are 5 of us adults who travel together. A booth just doesn't work because they have to put a chair at the end and whoever ends up there is really in the way of the waiters. We always have to go to the head waiter and ask to be moved to some sort of a table. So we'll go by the MDR and if that is the case again we'll ask to be moved for the next night's dinner.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like a booth in the MDR even for 4.

How could you make reservations without knowing which night you made the reservations for?

My favorite night at the Steakhouse is the last night. I’ve never cared for the meal nor service in the main dining room on the final evening (just feels below par like the staff is over this week, needs a breather before they start over again the following night). I also currently reside in a not-so-sophisticated area of the USA so a last-night trip to the Carnival Steakhouse holds me over until I can make it to the big city, wherever that might be, for a fine dining experience!! ;) Love ya, ROA! :p

Enjoy your planning, CollegeCruizer11! :cool:

But then you miss that sad song the waiters sing!:(

Roanoke, Va--too many there think Red Lobster is top of the line fine seafood--and that RL isn't a good one at all! (Lived there 3 years and was Director of Nursing at the LG psych hospital.)

I agree. But we like to do the Lido grill or something fast. To be honest, we're just not that hungry at dinner time the first day as we've been nibbling ALL AFTERNOON. Naughty us!

I do too but still find enough of an appetite to go to the DR the first night.icon7.gif

This has been addressed, simple oversight. Thank you.

It was addressed? What was the address? I might want to go visit.

Kidding aside, I don't read the entire thread before commenting. I tried that a few times, I ended up losing track of the post I wanted to comment on.

• 2 weeks later...

May be a stupid question...sailing on the Breeze in December and going to book the steakhouse for the first night.

Do they automatically give you the free bottle of wine or is it a promotion or something you have to request?

Thanks!

Archived