Royal Caribbean - The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line

In 1996 I paid the same for an inside cabin on the Carnival Jubilee that today I can get an outside balcony on the Allure. Cruising is a bargain but if you want someone to stand there and squeeze out your orange juice understandably that's a way to recover some of the expense.

I assume most people do not hand squeeze their own orange juice each morning at home either. It would be quite expensive to buy that sack of oranges, haul them home and squeeze them. Same concept to haul them out into the middle of the ocean. Same for that bottle of "spring" water that came for some municipal water supply.

I like the concept of user fees. If I don't want or need it, I don't have to pay for it; it's my choice. My experience is that all the mass market lines are doing the same, HAL is no different.

We dine almost exclusively in the specialties on Royal....when my wife asks for tea they always come around with the box of specialty tea's for her....she sends them back for Lipton...to each their own.

On a cruise with DH one of our table partners drank tea and they brought around the tea box after dinner for her to choose a tea. That was a couple of years ago = I don't know that it has changed.

We were on what will be our last HAL cruise this Spring, no live music, everything else poor. Back to Royal.

HAL is not really a comparable line to Royal Caribbean in terms of passenger expectations, entertainment, dining choices, or even make up of the passenger base. If OP prefers HAL, there is no doubt this goes way beyond surcharges for fresh squeezed orange juice.

The fresh squeezed orange juice sells for about $2.50 I think.

That’s not a big deal.

I think what rubs some people the wrong way about the roving orange juice man is the “Nickel and Dime” aspect of it.

So, $2.50 isn’t much, why not buy some?

Well, $2.50 isn’t much, why don’t they just give it to us?

The juice that they do give away isn’t exactly top notch.

I wonder how much it would cost to improve the quality of the juice that comes with breakfast?

It’s almost like the cruise line is saying, “We know this juice isn’t very good, so buy the upgrade”. ;-)

As far as breakfast in general, I really look forward to having the smoked salmon.

I noticed a few years ago that its no longer self served in the WJ. You have to ask for it.

That doesn’t bother me; I always eat breakfast in the MDR where the salmon is on the menu. It’s a fairly expensive item to have on the breakfast menu.

I’m watching for it to someday disappear in some cost cutting move.

And then the “Salmon Man” will go from table to table at breakfast, peddling smoked salmon for $2.50 extra. J

We dine almost exclusively in the specialties on Royal....when my wife asks for tea they always come around with the box of specialty tea's for her....she sends them back for Lipton...to each their own.

The juice that they do give away isn’t exactly top notch.

Agree entirely with the OP (flame me) -- and having to resort to the Specialty Restaurants is definitely nickel and diming.

"Isn't top notch" does not describe the juice properly -- but it is the same color.

Agree entirely with the OP (flame me) -- and having to resort to the Specialty Restaurants is definitely nickel and diming.

"Isn't top notch" does not describe the juice properly -- but it is the same color.

Have never done a specialty restaurant in 4 RCI cruises. Every dinner in the MDR, and I was not disappointed once.

I do not drink orange juice.

As far as breakfast in general, I really look forward to having the smoked salmon.

I noticed a few years ago that its no longer self served in the WJ. You have to ask for it.

That doesn’t bother me; I always eat breakfast in the MDR where the salmon is on the menu. It’s a fairly expensive item to have on the breakfast menu.

I’m watching for it to someday disappear in some cost cutting move.

And then the “Salmon Man” will go from table to table at breakfast, peddling smoked salmon for $2.50 extra. J

Princess provides smoked salmon in their buffet. We haven't been on RCI for six years and I was expecting it. Thanks for the information. We'll have to ask for it. But that is a downgrade. I suppose that it is these little things that upset passengers on every line. But I rarely hear about people deciding on cruises between RCI and HAL.

We are in our younger 50s and we'll cruise Princess or Celebrity without the kids (13 & 15) and RCI with them (we have done Carnival too, but nobody in our family really wants to go on Carnival since their cutbacks). But all of these lines have areas which they do very well and other areas which they fall short of other lines.

Look at it from a different angle....

The OP spent $900/day, allegedly. Or $300pp (for 3 in the room, allegedly). For that, you are getting a suite, for sure. Yes?

So if they do not wish to spend that money to go on an RCI cruise, that means more opportunity for the rest of us to get upgrades!!! :D

Brilliant!

BTW, if you spent that much money on a cruise, and complain about being nickeled and dimed- you are good at pinching pennies, but not so much at keeping dollars. The cruise cost $4500 or more (5 night min out of New Jersey), and you worry about a few bucks of on board spending... eh.

I'll be happy to take your room.

Princess provides smoked salmon in their buffet. We haven't been on RCI for six years and I was expecting it. Thanks for the information. We'll have to ask for it. But that is a downgrade. I suppose that it is these little things that upset passengers on every line. But I rarely hear about people deciding on cruises between RCI and HAL.

We are in our younger 50s and we'll cruise Princess or Celebrity without the kids (13 & 15) and RCI with them (we have done Carnival too, but nobody in our family really wants to go on Carnival since their cutbacks). But all of these lines have areas which they do very well and other areas which they fall short of other lines.

On Serenade in January the smoked salmon was out on the buffet; I had it every day.

1. Never have had a band from Poland playing at the pool on a Caribbean cruise...until HAL.

2.Food bland, designed to not offend the older pallette.

3.Shhh...ship goes to sleep at 10pm

4.Caution....the number of motorized chairs and wheelchairs clutter the hallways starting around 10p...(PS, I have had to use one of these, so save the PC attitude about the disabled or elderly..I have my very own handicap sticker for my vehicle.)

5. The entertainment is "limited" and scarce.

You are welcome ot HAL...a really great cruise line for a specific passenger group...I will take RCI....it fits our idea of enjoying a week!

I agree with all of these. Was on HAL a year and a half ago. The demographic was ancient. I am glad we were not the only ones who thought the food was bland (tailored to the older palette). Our prior cruise had been an RCL, which we absolutely loved and thought the food was fantastic. My parents' room on HAL was flooded thanks to HAL's toilet issues, and HAL gave them the run around on switching rooms, etc. Our wait staff on HAL was lovely, but overworked.

OP is just one of those people who won't be pleased, no matter what.

You may have interpreted my post wrong. Choosing to dine almost exclusively in the specialties is our choice....we don't feel that we are forced into this is any way.....we much prefer the more intimate smaller atmosphere that they offer. I wouldn't lie....I do feel the service and food is also notched up...if it wasn't why would anyone want to pay extra for it :confused:.....but we freely choose that option and just always just figure that into the "total" cost of the cruise when we are booking. By allowing someone like us to choose that "extra cost" option is allowing the next person who doesn't choose that option to spend less;)...it's a win win IMHO.

The cruise cost $4500 or more (5 night min out of New Jersey), and you worry about a few bucks of on board spending... eh.

I'll be happy to take your room.

I completely agree. If I don't want the extra things, I simply don't buy them - if enough people feel as I do, they'll discontinue it. After all, it costs them in wages to have that guy squeezing oranges, right?

I also try not to forget that I'm damned lucky to be in the position that I am - that is, having the wherewithal to take a cruise in the first place. There are plenty of people in America that would simply be grateful to have jobs so they can BUY orange juice at home.

In the face of that reality, complaining about little things on a cruise is very insignificant.

Just saying.

They haven't had smoked salmon in the WJ for a few years.

Perhaps you got lucky.

They do have the pickled herring.

On our Allure cruise it was in the main dining room buffet, but not in the WJ. One of our table mates asked if he could get some from the buffet even if ordering a different breakfast. Waiter told him no problem.

You may have interpreted my post wrong. Choosing to dine almost exclusively in the specialties is our choice....we don't feel that we are forced into this is any way.....we much prefer the more intimate smaller atmosphere that they offer. I wouldn't lie....I do feel the service and food is also notched up...if it wasn't why would anyone want to pay extra for it :confused:.....but we freely choose that option and just always just figure that into the "total" cost of the cruise when we are booking. By allowing someone like us to choose that "extra cost" option is allowing the next person who doesn't choose that option to spend less;)...it's a win win IMHO.

I believe it's notched up as well. The main dining room food is function food and specialty restaurants provide more cooked to order restaurant food. I like that the Allure has a discount for Chops/Giovannis/Samba for $55 per person. It's like getting Giovannis for free when paying for Chops & Samba Grill. For the four of us, it's $220 total for a different cruise experience. Others may say that I am being nickled and dimed. But, to me, the value is definitely there and I'll gladly pay the cost. We may go to Japanese place as well. We are only doing one expensive excursion (and it's not with Royal Caribbean) and I don't mind spending extra money if I think the value is there. I can see it being the same for those who want the fresh squeezed OJ every morning and spending $15 for six days of it.

On the smoked salmon front, whom in the WJ would I ask to get it? I'm hoping not to get that blank look. I'm not a big fan of dining rooms for breakfast. That's more of a time issue.

I also try not to forget that I'm damned lucky to be in the position that I am - that is, having the wherewithal to take a cruise in the first place. There are plenty of people in America that would simply be grateful to have jobs so they can BUY orange juice at home.

In the face of that reality, complaining about little things on a cruise is very insignificant.

Just saying.

Good point. It kind of makes complaining about small things such as upcharge orange juice that someone doesnt even have to buy seem petty at best :rolleyes:

We (my hubby and I ) are Diamond on Royal. We even had our wedding on Navigator in '03. We always loved the Royal product but do agree partially with the OP. We have definately noticed all the "xtras" that have been added to the ships. Of course, you are not forced to purchase the $5 cupcake but just the idea of the "all inclusive" vacation is fading.

I have noticed that it's the more seasoned cruisers that notice this more. If you haven't been sailing for many years you really wouldn't notice a difference and would think nothing of paying extra for your O.J. or late night room service. Times are changing.

I was never a big fan of Carnival....however; we have sailed quite a few times with them in the past few years. The new ships are really fantastic. We also sail with Princess and NCL. We just love to cruise. Why would I limit myself to one line???? How boring.

I have noticed that it's the more seasoned cruisers that notice this more. If you haven't been sailing for many years you really wouldn't notice a difference and would think nothing of paying extra for your O.J. or late night room service. Times are changing.

Yes, we notice. But we also notice that the actual price of cruising has not gone up much in the last decade, too. $100-120/night is what we paid in 2004, and in 2012. Somehow, the increased cost of fuel, and food, and service etc- has not reflected in the cost of the vacation.

IMHO, they found the items that people felt they were paying extra for in the base price, took it out of the base, and allowed anyone who WANTED to pay for it to do so.

There are cruise lines that have kept pace with inflation, and offer what old timers seem to remember as the "good old days"- travel with them.

Nothing is free. It's just a matter of if it's included in the base price of a moving hotel with most food included.

Princess provides smoked salmon in their buffet. We haven't been on RCI for six years and I was expecting it. Thanks for the information. We'll have to ask for it. But that is a downgrade. >>>snip<<<<

They haven't had smoked salmon in the WJ for a few years.

Perhaps you got lucky.

They do have the pickled herring.

There was self-serve smoked salmon in the Windjammer Buffet on all 3 of the RCI cruises we've taken this year (Allure and twice on Explorer).

Archived