Royal Caribbean - The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line

This topic is really so played out.....if you want you can call just about everything in life nickle and dimming. Why are there different caliber restaurants around....why are there luxury apartments and low income apartments....why are there Mercedes and why are there Chevy's...why are there private lounges at clubs that cost $100/table when to sit at the bar is free...why does it cost more for a drink made with premium liquor ....it's life folks...and IT'S YOUR CHOICE...move on:)

Wasn't that the point of the OP? How the line now nickel and dimes you, when in the past, it hadn't been that way?

I think the OPs original point was that there are other lines he can items for FREE that he has to pay for on Royal (like orange juice), therefore he feels like he is being nickel and dimed.

Having to purchase alchohol by the glass instead of by the bottle is not the same IMO. By the way, you can still buy a bottle of wine and have that in your cabin. It is only hard liquor that you can't buy by the bottle.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but *you* seem to miss the point that RC makes their profit by selling you those individual drinks.

Btw, I find their drink prices totally reasonable.

*you* seem to miss the point of the OP that RCCL didn't always nickel and dime, hence my added point that they nickel and dime with individual drinks now, instead of letting you purchase a bottle, even at a mark up, to consume in your room. They used to let you buy a bottle at duty free for personal consumption, or order a bottle on ice to your room.

Yes, I understand they make a profit this way, hence the added point of a "money grab," as they didn't force you to go bar only for liquor.

Secondly, $5.50 for a 12oz light beer, not a microbrew, a light beer, is not reasonable. It's not reasonable at a club in a downtown district or on a cruise ship. $5.50 a beer is not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination

No they are not a charity.

But coming around selling an extra item like the OJ is not something that

One would see at a restaurant on shore.

Standard procedure is the restaurant has a menu, people order from items on the menu.

There are no roving salesmen going from table to table selling things.

Tell me….. Why must the OJ be ordered from a traveling huckster rather than from the menu?

It is true “nickel and dime” tactic.

Put the OJ on the menu if you want to sell it in the dining room.

????

Where they sell the premium OJ is the Windjammer, there's no menu.

Also, when on land, there's a base price for regular OJ, and a premium price for fresh squeezed OJ. In this case, you pay the premium for the premium good. There's free OJ available to all.

I'll look the next time I have breakfast in the MDR to see if it's on the meny for a premium, but I've not noticed anyone trying to sell it there.

Still- if it bugs you, find a different place to spend your money.

The items you mention really aren't that big of deal. If you want fresh squeezed OJ, then pay for it. I as are most people, ok with the free stuff. As far as the Cook Books, I think RCI decided to make one because SO MANY people wanted certain recipes. I do think that the water package is a lil over priced. You better not go on Allure, because all of the shops and some of the food venues are pay. Even some of the pay places really arent that much. I do get a kick out of some people who complain about the cost of decorations. Like someone else said... you just paid how much for the cruise and your gonna whine about another 25 bux. You have to the stuff, take on plane with you, set it up and hope you dont get caught instead of spending 25 bux to have RCI do it. I dont get all the whining to be honest. Cruising is more costly now due to fuel, insurances, port charges, new ships that have more to do on them... this all costs money. If they raised their rates due to this, people would get mad cuz they would say... i dont use that or I dont eat there. So they have these extra lil charges to cover these costs.

I think the OPs original point was that there are other lines he can items for FREE that he has to pay for on Royal (like orange juice), therefore he feels like he is being nickel and dimed.

Having to purchase alchohol by the glass instead of by the bottle is not the same IMO. By the way, you can still buy a bottle of wine and have that in your cabin. It is only hard liquor that you can't buy by the bottle.

And I will bet you bottom $ that the OP didn't choose that other line because the cruise price was higher.

Here- I DON'T WANT TO SUBSIDZE YOUR DRINKING. Drink all you want. Don't make me have a higher cost to the trip.

I think your the kind of guy that if RCCL started charging for pillows, you would back them.

Once again, you would not be subsidzing anything. I am not saying alcohol should be included in ANY cost. I only wish you could BUY a bottle of hard liqour, EVEN AT A MARKUP, to consume AT YOUR LEISURE in your room. Why is that so hard to understand?

Yes, they probably make more money by charging drink by drink, hence why it's being reffered to as a nickel and dime tactic. They could still make a lot by offering bottle room service at a mark up, and I would be OK with that.

Your blind loyalty is hijacking the thread from the OP.

Burt

Seriously? I'm not hijacking anything- all I ask is why do people spend a lot of money on stuff that they will have issues with when there are perfectly good options where they will not have those issues?

And if you think that my blind loyalty is a problem, you can always ignore my posts. There's a way to do that.

Everyone has a problem but don't do a darned thing about it, except come here and complain about it, pretending that they are SOOO very right. There are solutions to your problem- fix it and move on.

I think your the kind of guy that if RCCL started charging for pillows, you would back them.

Once again, you would not be subsidzing anything. I am not saying alcohol should be included in ANY cost. I only wish you could BUY a bottle of hard liqour, EVEN AT A MARKUP, to consume AT YOUR LEISURE in your room. Why is that so hard to understand?

Yes, they probably make more money by charging drink by drink, hence why it's being reffered to as a nickel and dime tactic. They could still make a lot by offering bottle room service at a mark up, and I would be OK with that.

Wait- what's your story now? You first complained about bringing booze on board- now it's just getting stuff to get drunk in your room? Ok- if that's what the problem is, can't help you there. Wine is an option, I suppose- it will get you drunk, too.

[quote name=dphockey13;35106499

Secondly' date=' $5.50 for a 12oz light beer, not a microbrew, a light beer, is not reasonable. It's not reasonable at a club in a downtown district or on a cruise ship. $5.50 a beer is not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination[/quote]

I live in the suburbs of NJ inbetween NJ and Philly. A nice restaurant in my area will charge more than $5.50 for a beer. The only place it is less than that is the local pizza place. It is way more than $5.50 in NY so no need to stretch the imagination. I see it on a regular basis.

We personally find the prices of the drinks pretty reasonable on board.

Wait- what's your story now? You first complained about bringing booze on board- now it's just getting stuff to get drunk in your room? Ok- if that's what the problem is, can't help you there. Wine is an option, I suppose- it will get you drunk, too.

My original post on this thread referenced BUYING booze at the duty free ON BOARD the ship, which they let you do in 05'. It also referenced being able to buy a bottle and have it served to your room, even at an upcharge. Again, reading and comprehension problems for the all too loyal RCCL customer. I then noted that it's cool, cause I'll just use the RRs instead.

Secondly, thank you for the lesson in alcohol. I had no idea wine could get your drunk. If you didn't sense the sarcasm, I have been referencing hard liqour this entire time.

Seriously? I'm not hijacking anything- all I ask is why do people spend a lot of money on stuff that they will have issues with when there are perfectly good options where they will not have those issues?

But your are asking over and over. If you have to say it more than once, then you letting your emotions get the better part of you. Loyalty is a fine thing until you start picking hills to die on. This is not the hill.

Burt

I live in the suburbs of NJ inbetween NJ and Philly. A nice restaurant in my area will charge more than $5.50 for a beer. The only place it is less than that is the local pizza place. It is way more than $5.50 in NY so no need to stretch the imagination. I see it on a regular basis.

I didn't say places don't do it, what I am saying is it is not reasonable for a light beer. Compared to their costs, it is a mark up well over 500%

I hestitate to post because my experience has been that any complaint about RCI gets you blasted. But here goes. It is just annoying to be sold these things at every turn. And everytime I cruise the food is a little worse, the entertainment is a little more amateur, and there is something else that is not included. We read these boards to get real information. If I wanted a public relations version, I could read the RCI web site. Will I still cruise, maybe. But having the right expectations leads to less disappointment. Thank you to the OP for sharing your opinion. Some of us appreciate it.

I can give you a factual, i.e., fact-based explanation for that.

By the way, I remember when we could buy the bottle for a marked-up price on Day One, but have no recollection of EVER being able to order a bottle for the room.

Royal Caribbean has out-sourced the liquor stores to an outside vendor, just like the jewelry store. Therefore, those fees would not be theirs, they would be the vendor's. Bar income is RC's.

Let me put it to you this way, but I doubt you will relate. Your on the ship for 7 days. It is vacation. Some of us like to drink some days on vacation.

When your back home on the weekend, sometimes its just nice to make your own drink in your own home, or have a few in your house before you go out for the night. But I gaurantee you that each drink you have at home does not cost you $5.50 plus. Most people, if their goal is to get a good buzz going for the night, will have a few "pre-drinks" before the bar, to limit the damage the bar has on their pocket book. By not allowing you to buy a duty free bottle, or even a marked up room service bottle, they rob you of this luxury and force each drink you have to cost more than $5.00 a pop.

Now, I understand this, and actually am budgeting for it. Not being extremely happy by the policy, I outlet here. I will reitterate. I understand the policy. I just like RCCL too much to leave because of it.

Que the preachy soap box dialouge of - you don't need to drink to have a good time - go to an all inclusive resort - go to carnival - "insert preachy, I'm better than you comment here"

By the way, I remember when we could buy the bottle for a marked-up price on Day One, but have no recollection of EVER being able to order a bottle for the room.

Royal Caribbean has out-sourced the liquor stores to an outside vendor, just like the jewelry store. Therefore, those fees would not be theirs, they would be the vendor's. Bar income is RC's.

In 05', the last crusie I can remember being able to do this, you could walk downstairs to the duty free store that is on the ship, buy a fifth, and walk it right back up to your room, the entire sailing. Trust me, I was younger and my brother and I bought one every night:D

You may be right, I never ordered a bottle on ice to my room, but I assume you could if you could get it at duty free.

The out sourcing point is a good one, so I can understand not allowing direct sales from duty free. But then why not offer the bottles, as bars and clubs do, at a mark up that is a "service fee," similar to wine's corkage fee? The profit would be all RCCL's.

I think the OPs original point was simply to troll and start an online argument. :cool:

I hestitate to post because my experience has been that any complaint about RCI gets you blasted. But here goes. It is just annoying to be sold these things at every turn. And everytime I cruise the food is a little worse, the entertainment is a little more amateur, and there is something else that is not included. We read these boards to get real information. If I wanted a public relations version, I could read the RCI web site. Will I still cruise, maybe. But having the right expectations leads to less disappointment. Thank you to the OP for sharing your opinion. Some of us appreciate it.

You are all too right. I like RCCL a lot, but if you talk bad about ANYTHING the company does, you get blasted by its blind followers who refuse to look at the situations objectively. Just because it is your favorite cruise line does not make them the perfect company immune to any type of criticism

Most people, if their goal is to get a good buzz going for the night, will have a few "pre-drinks" before the bar, to limit the damage the bar has on their pocket book.

Do people still do this? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hope they are not driving!

It seems the thread is wearing out, which is probably good. I am appreciative of the thread because we are sailing RCCL very soon and I wanted to see what might have changed since the last time we cruise this line a few years ago.

The alcohol discussion is informative because the policies are different on each line. I was going to bring my own alcohol by whatever method acceptable to RCCL. It seems there is no acceptable policy for RCCL. That's good to know so that I don't delay or embarrase myself during boarding.

The orange juice thing is also very informative. What I’m learning about RCCL is that they will present a lot of marketing opportunities during my relaxation time. Grreeaat.

A lot of folks seem to put these comparisons into the expense category and I can understand that, but a lot of what I want to know about nickel and diming is the interruption of my peaceful enjoyment of the cruise. For example, Carnival takes every opportunity to make a copy of your cruising moments with photographers standing everywhere, but Princess doesn’t. I enjoy Princess so much for that difference. I don’t enjoy dancing waiters because they interrupt the meal and discussions at the table. However, my sexy and lovely Sally is exactly the opposite, so sadly Carnival may win out on that one. Does RCCL have dancing waiters? How about dancing orange juice waiters?

I know the loyalist struggle with negative discussions of their passion. But for those of us who enjoy the differences of other cruise lines, learning the differences helps us in knowing what to expect, and how to pack. Not just alcohol, but also in the choices of clothes. I like to wear a tux, but that is becoming rarer on Carnival. Smoking is different on different cruise lines as well as the benefits of room selection. The amenities of a lower category room may have the same benefits of a suite on a different line. That may come off a whining for loyalist, but that’s good info for many of us.

So I thank the OP for starting this thread, it has helped me better prepare for our cruise in a few weeks.

Have a great cruise all.

Burt

Let me put it to you this way, but I doubt you will relate. Your on the ship for 7 days. It is vacation. Some of us like to drink some days on vacation.

When your back home on the weekend, sometimes its just nice to make your own drink in your own home, or have a few in your house before you go out for the night. But I gaurantee you that each drink you have at home does not cost you $5.50 plus. Most people, if their goal is to get a good buzz going for the night, will have a few "pre-drinks" before the bar, to limit the damage the bar has on their pocket book. By not allowing you to buy a duty free bottle, or even a marked up room service bottle, they rob you of this luxury and force each drink you have to cost more than $5.00 a pop.

Now, I understand this, and actually am budgeting for it. Not being extremely happy by the policy, I outlet here. I will reitterate. I understand the policy. I just like RCCL too much to leave because of it.

Que the preachy soap box dialouge of - you don't need to drink to have a good time - go to an all inclusive resort - go to carnival - "insert preachy, I'm better than you comment here"

All 21 of your posts are about catching a buzz before you go out. I'm thinking your problem has nothing to do with any cruise line money grab alcohol policies.

All 21 of your posts are about catching a buzz before you go out. I'm thinking your problem has nothing to do with any cruise line money grab alcohol policies.

The only reason I have posted about only that topic is because its the only issue I have. Thank you for proving my point from your soap box!

Archived