Dental coverage

mcmarya

As I was perusing the specifics for various trip insurance policies I discovered that Travel Insured International excludes losses from dental causes except for injury to sound natural teeth. For older travelers, that could be a significant exclusion. If someone needed a root canal suddenly or lost a crown the day of a cruise, that could be a significant exclusion. Not sure if other policies have that kind of exclusion.

As I was perusing the specifics for various trip insurance policies I discovered that Travel Insured International excludes losses from dental causes except for injury to sound natural teeth. For older travelers, that could be a significant exclusion. If someone needed a root canal suddenly or lost a crown the day of a cruise, that could be a significant exclusion. Not sure if other policies have that kind of exclusion.

All of the plans I'm familiar with are similar. And they all exclude coverage for loss/damage to any sort of medical device under the baggage/personal effects coverage so if you lose your camera you're usually covered. If you lose your dentures you're not.

Yes, you are right. But, dentures are something that could be "lost," which I guess is a justification on the insurer's part. An abcessed tooth can be horribly painful and even fatal. A boy in DC died a few years ago from an abcessed tooth. Of course, coverage is usually limited to $500 for dental which couldn't go far.

Some things are best off self-insured.

Is it really practical to insure for any and everything that can possibly happen? If you add up all the premiums you pay for every possible thing, you might find it would have been less costly to simply pay for the 'root canal' or whatever yourself.

We worry about exposure for very high cost sort of events.

IMO......

Archived